Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
From Calais, which is the best route to B S M? Ideally what I'd like is the nearest Autoroute to B S M - or the town/junction one needs to leave the Autoroute to get to B S M - sat nav will get me to that point. Many thanks in advance.

If anyone has a rough idea on journey time, that would be great.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A13521A08

(Let it redirect to get the map).

Can't help on driving time, every time we drove to Courmayeur we did an overnight stop and generally steered clear of Autoroutes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mark, depends on what you're driving, weight of right foot etc. I can usually make it from Calais to BSM in about 9/10 hrs but I do press on a bit. I find the best route to be the A26 from Calais to Rheims then the A31 (E5) past Troyes to Lyons then the A43/46 to Chambery, A40 to Albertville then N90 to BSM. I usually reckon 21/2 hrs to Rheims, 6 hrs to Lyon, then 21/2 hrs from Lyons, 30 mins from BSM to La Rosiere. Mostly Auotrout until about 6kms from Albertville, then mostly dual- carriageway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head for Albertville, Mark. Tarentaise/bsm clearly signposted from there I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent - many thanks. Just booked next week in La Rosiere, last minute with Ski Espirit, but they were out of flights.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haven't got a map in front of me but I would avoid Paris and nip down the Chalon en Champagne, through Dijon heading for Geneva. You should miss Geneva and heading for Lyon on A39 , A40 and then A42. This route goes through Chambery and avoid Lyon.

This Open Route Planner suggests a journey time of 8.5 hours and 926km or 579miles. On top of the 8.5 hours you need to add the pit stop to feed your stomach and the car.

http://www.opel.com/home.html

The road is tolled all the way. Can't remeber the toll charge but it should be in the region of £30.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 16-04-04 12:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark, good to hear that we'll see you there. Snow is looking pretty good at the moment don't forget to give us a call. Do you know which chalet you're staying at?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just for the record, multimap, that site I linked to also has a route planner.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it's this coming Saturday Mark, traffic shouldn't be too bad but it is classified 'orange', ie quite heavy traffic between approx 10am and 3pm. However on your route as long as you go via Reims and not Paris you should be ok (ie it can get congested between Auxerre and Macon heading south from Paris).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skanky - thanks for that Smile

David, we're at the Shatzi (worriesome name) which is near the top of the village right in front of a bar who's name I can't remember - was too p1ssed when there to remember unfortunately!

If you and JWAZ aren't too busy, would be good to hook up this time. I know Masque's looking at the BASI thing, so be cool to pick his brains a bit Exclamation
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mark, be delighted to see you, there are 5 snowheads in the village not counting you and your party. How many are you?
I don't know the Shatzi but I'm guessing it's Anne Arpin's chalet opposite to Willy's bar (Le Relais de Petit San Bernard) near the St Bernard's kennels. We could have a Snowheads convention or an unconvention if Masque is involved. I'll make sure you're introduced to the ESF director and deputy director, who's English and can give you some insights into their approach. Should be a great week, maybe we can get a Snowhead's team together for the end of season races, got to warn you though, last year it was won by a local resident who just happens to be a member of the French ski equipe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks David. The Shatzi is just where you say - what a surprise, it being owned by an Arpin Shocked . There are 4 in the group, Anne (wife), Hannah (eldest 14 going on 20) and Gabrielle (youngest 4 going on Cool who'll be in the Evolution2 beginners and snowclub.

I'll give you a 'phone when we've arrived and we can sort things from there - I guess the other snowHeads are with you at Le Mouflon? As you say, unconvention is the word Laughing Quite happy to form a snowHeads race team (a first), perhaps we should invite PG over to strengthen the field snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark, yes, there are five of us in Le Mouflon. Good luck with the drive, just boring really, miles and miles and miles of motorway. Are you arriving on the Saturday, we get in on Sunday. The race? is usually on the last Thurs of the season and involves a 2 x 2 GS with a water-jump finish, fancy dress optional. Last year Joel Chenal, French GS World Cup competitor won, dressed as a 19th century customs agent. The race takes place just above the kiddie's piste right opposite your chalet. Hope we get the chance to show you some of the interesting skiing, especially some of the links to Italy, I assume you're not averse to pasta?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David - get in on Sunday pm to fit in with Espirit transfers. Pasta good for me - we did the link to Italy last time, but didn't cover too much terrain as had a newbie with us which slowed everything down a tad! Be good to get on and do a bit more. Not looking forward to those long drags over there though! Still beats the football club of the UK out of being in the office.

So, Masque back on the board? Or still 2 planks good...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't know, he claims not to have skied for forty years (since 10 yr old) in which case, even allowing for my inspired coaching, he didn't do too badly, could be amongst the top 50% of European skiers? I'd prefer him to be on skis, we wouldn't have to wait whilst he adjusts his bindings, gets up from the middle of the psite, just over the brow of a hill etc. but he is a bit sensitive about this, so I'll play it carefully.
snow conditions
Off Ski-ing again! Ye jammy ****
ski holidays
Or top 10% of European skiiers as one of our Canadian friends likes to put it! See you all over there.

johnboy, yep - just can't keep away from the stuff. At least I didn't take my wife on a ski=ing honeymoon though Wink
ski holidays
Oops,

See what you mean Mark, Have a good time
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy