Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend to Les Gets or St Gervais (or any other suggestions)

Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon fellow snowheads. with the sun out it seems slightly ridiculous to be thinking about the skiing in 6 months time, but I have a feeling there may be a few of you doing the same!

Im looking to go for a long weekend (thursday - monday) with a family group consisting of my son and nephews at the younger end of the spectrum (12 and 14) and my father aged 68 for his first visit to the mountains. Hopefully there will be 10 of us or so. Must be short transfer from Geneva or Turin. Any advice on accommodation, ideally catered and transfer companys greatly appreciated. Flights sorted, but not booked. Looking to go the first weekend of February. I was thinking of Les Gets or St Gervais but welcome any suggestions from other snowheads who have had good experiences with long weekend trips.

Many thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jubnut, the French school holidays start on 6 February, which will make it harder, and more expensive, to find weekend accommodation. The previous weekend would be easier, though there are always limited options in France, where the Sat/Sat model is firmly entrenched.

It's definitely not ridiculous to be thinking about accommodation for a group of 10 for a long weekend - if you can find suitable accommodation book it without delay.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Pam. will have a look the previous weekend as well then, but might be stuck with those dates. Any suggestions anyone for resorts near Turin and accommodation?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could have a look at Pila. Not been there, but good reports here, plenty of skiing for a long weekend and and very easy from Turin. You can stay down in Aosta and go up a cable car, or stay up in resort. Several SHs know it well - if you thought that looked a good bet, and put up a report asking about accommodation in Pila for a long weekend you'd get some specific advice, I'm sure.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jubnut, Chalet La Giettaz do short breaks, and are close to Geneva.
http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/Winter/Weekends-and-Short-Breaks/
It's run by Snowhead Miranda and her husband Chris. I stayed last year and had a fantastic time - it's a really flexible setup, and Chris and Miranda run it very well and couldn't be more helpful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good idea, @Gämsbock.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try these guys we stayed at one of their chalets last season. They are based in Chatel and have 3 chalets, airport pick ups and lift station drop offs. Works great and nice chalet. We had a blast and there was a group of 12.

http://www.alpinequests.com/chalet_les_frangrins.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Milk Hotel in Les Carroz is a nice place to stay- we have done a weekend there in late Jan, and they weren't wedded to the Sat-Sat booking requirement. Ski in ski out (unusual for Les Carroz), with a nice restaurant on the piste on the way back into the village, so that if anyone doesn't fancy skiing, they can easily meet you for lunch there. www.milkhotel.fr . The hotel is a little uphill from the village centre, but it's a great spot, and probably take about 10 mins to walk down the windy road into the middle of the village, or a little less if you take a walk down the piste. They speak good English. You would have to organise your transfers, but for 10 of you, a minibus transfer would be the way to go..though I see from trip advisor reviews that the owner may well arrange it for you. It's only an hour from Geneva. The skiing around les Carroz and the Grand Massif is great. Les Carroz is a pretty proper village with some nice restaurants and a couple of decent bars. We rented a place there for a couple of seasons without knowing the area, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Carroz is a great option but my only concern is that the Milk Hotel ski in is on a red, Timalets. If your Dad is planning to ski or some of the rest of the party will be beginners, then I'd say that Timalets is not an ideal way home.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi

If you are looking at France I would seriously forget flying to Turin the transfer costs for a short break would be appallingly high. Les gets is a great spot and although the 6th is the start of the French "month of hell". I seemed to recall that it wasn't that bad last year. Saying that best time would be mid to end of Jan when the snow will be plentiful and the slopes quiet. For accommodation try my mates at chalet bluebell. Ski@chaletbluebell.co.uk Duncan and Hilly do do short breaks.

Good luck and enjoy.

Andy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sj1608 wrote:
Les Carroz is a great option but my only concern is that the Milk Hotel ski in is on a red, Timalets. If your Dad is planning to ski or some of the rest of the party will be beginners, then I'd say that Timalets is not an ideal way home.

True, though there is always the drag lift up which you can get at the end of the day, jumps off at the entrance to the piste by the tunnel and then walk the rest. Probably about 50-100 m gentle uphill walk on the piste from there?
Not ideal, granted, but on the plus side, no walk in the morning at the start of your day as the hotel is at the bottom of the steeper red bit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've stayed in Le Boomerang in Les Gets a few times and really liked it. It's popular though so book soon. For transfers used Skiidy Gonzalez - always been good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really wouldn`t worry about the French school holidays at that time of year - we live in the area and have no problems at all.

Transfer companies - Skiidy Gonzales, getaway vans are both good and for that number of people a private transfer will be more economical and quicker.

Chalet Bluebell in Les Gets is a good place for short breaks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jubnut, as Pam W suggests, French accommodation during vacances scolaires is (especially if French operated) likely to be Sat-Sat only. AirBNB seems to be changing this a little, but if you find something you like e.g. Some of the above recommendations, go for it.

Champoluc an easy transfer from Turin but no idea if transfers are easily sorted. No idea either on hotel availabilty although there are plenty of hotels.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jubnut,

I'd second what Pam says. I've done a lot of weekend skiing and it is MUCH easier to find accommodation outside school holidays. I think you will find it tough to book accommodation for 10 over a fairly peak weekend in advance. Any hotel or apartment owner will be signing up to lose most of two weeks' revenue on those rooms. If you can go a bit earlier then they will expect to have empty rooms so will be more willing to take a punt.

I think Les Gets and St Gervais are both good options but you good add anywhere else in PdS, Grand Massif and Evasion Mont Blanc (Megeve/ Les Contamines) too - they are all pretty good for beginners, families and short transfers from GVA. I've done ski weekends via Zurich, Milan, Turin, Innsbruck to Switzerland, AUstria and Italy too but the flight schedule and transfer time from GVA takes some beating.
ski holidays
Les Carroz/Milk Hotel/Timalets. There is a free ski bus (E Line) that will take you to & from Milk Hotel to Village centre & Main Gondola 8.30 am til 7pm ish but it only runs less than 10 times a day so check timetables and plan ahead.
snow conditions
Take a look at the Croix de Savoie hotel in Les Carroz too. On tripadvisor there are loads of recent (good) reviews about how they will take bookings for less than 7 nights. It's a 10-15 min walk max into the centre of the village, but probably less than 10 to the drag lift that takes you up for the gentle ski over to the main gondola. For what its worth, it's a pretty walk too. (Ignore reviews that say 20 mins-the chalet we rented was a good five mins further up the hill, and so I have walked it many times) The ski bus stop is bang outside.
ski holidays
Croix de Savoie is a marmite place, and personally I'm not keen. I think the ski bus from there is infrequent, but not 100% sure.

You may like to look at La Bergerie B & B in town - http://www.labergerie-lescarroz.com/index_en.php Claude is a great host and is not set on Saturday to Saturday. There are three large rooms which will take extra beds, so depending on the size of the group it may work. I think he also has another room which he can bring into use if you take the whole place.
snow conditions
Hello all, thanks so much for all your ideas and contributions. I have just re-started the search. I was a bit too keen back in June it seemed and wasn t really getting any responses. I am following up a number of the ideas from you ever reliable bunch. Will investigate Pds, Grand Massif and around st gervais area due to the proximity to GVA, but am interested in some areas close to Turin as the flights are quite good for us, plus Ive done France a number of times over the last few years. The decision will come down to ease of booking no doubt though....
ski holidays
@jubnut, turin lends itself well then to Aosta valley, which would suggest Champoluc to me Happy
snow conditions
@jubnut, Look at Cervinia, there will be plenty of options on where to stay and great piste skiing.
ski holidays
Champoluc is lovely!
snow report
@jubnut,
agree with UANN on champoluc
Different ski area but also easily accessible from Turin - Sauze d'oux - also lovely and may be a little better for beginners.
I've done long weekends to both - very easy.
latest report
@jubnut, Turin is an hour away from Sauze / the via lattea (Milky Way) - very very easy to get to as well, could be an option? www.sauzeonline.com poss worth a look
snow report
As per Curzonian's post above. Flight to Turin. Hire a car/minibus. 1hr 15m later you will be in Sauze. Hotel La Torre perfect for a weekend. Half the price of the big French resorts once you get on the hill and want to eat & drink. Car Hire, Lift Passes & equipment hire all cheaper than France.
snow report
Thanks again for all suggestions. After much toing and froing with various flight accommodation options, the best 'fit' is Morzine. We have gone for the ease of the luton-geneva flight, transfer and accommodation with http://mountainmavericks.com/chalets/chambertin/. Arrive on the Thursday in the morning 4th feb and check out on the Sunday evening. Very much looking forward to it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy