Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best powder skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I am hoping to buy some pure powder skis for keeping out in France. I am an advanced skier and bearing in mind I will be skiing the morzine area then the skis need to be able to have a good edge as no doubt I will need to go across some piste or hard snow to reach the powder. I skied Rossignol Soul 7 in chamonix this year which are favourites - any other suggestions?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WD Ranger 108's (with new WD Ragnaroks for really deep powder days).....job done!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Uhhh, sking the "Morzine Area" (my word the mayor is getting ambitious - or do you mean only Morzine-Nyon-Les Gets?) why do you think you need powder skis?

Although, on the upside, they'll be the last powder skis you ever buy Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Know what you mean - always hopeful!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, i'm quite serious. PdS (@Glosrules, that includes Morzine by the way) gets more snow than you'd expect for its general height etc., but it's a lucky day that you find powder of a depth and consistency to require powder skis.

It is not Canada.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, presumably the OP would like them for fun rather than because they are a requirement. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@meh, you know what presuming does? Like assuming but worse.

I presume he wants them as an ornament for his poele.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I presume an advanced skier would know that there is no such thing as best skis. Same like there is no best sports car, or best SUV or best rock band wink wink oh no, there is - It's a Porsche and Queen snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 13-06-15 8:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It depends how you ski (obviously) some folk prefer rockers some trad camber some semi rocker,some stiff, some softer, some fat some not so fat, some short radius, some long radius. Rent/demo and take your pick! I like Whitedot Preachers, others prefer other Whitedot skis. Some folk even like skis from other manufactuers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is only one powder ski, it's called a snowboard and sooner you sad plankers stop mucking around on your clown skis and learn the correct respect for powder the better rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the cold light of day, what I really should have said was, learn how to ski powder and then any ski is your best powder ski. I personally favour FIS race skis for days when I want to remind myself what it's all about. Ideally slalom or superG. GS are too easy.

@Masque, if skiing was easy they'd have called it snowboarding.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mooney058, you need medical help. The best rock band as any fule knos is Rush.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last time I looked, the Queen was a monarch, not a rock band............
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, @Glosrules, we obviously need some more info on what type of podwer ski you want and what your style and preference is. Judging by the responsesyou've had so far, not many people take your question seriously around here...
snow conditions
We can start tearing t-shirts, but it is Queen!

Staying on the subject, @Glosrules, you can try http://www.metallica.com/news/20150211-187573.asp skis. and as they would say - and nothing else matters
ski holidays
@Cheizz, it's not really a serious question is it?

Is it?
latest report
@Glosrules, you would be far far better with something a little more polyvalent eg blizzard cochise or bonafide
latest report
@Glosrules, do you consider Soul 7 (which is 107 mm wide) as "pure powder"? Then as @under a new name, suggested, Cochise is very close to it in terms of size (but these are differenc sjis!) being 108 mm wide.

Although I am not expert in off-piste, not really sure I understand what you mean by 'pure powder', and having skied all over PdS, not certain you will see great benefit of it - maybe on the Swiss Wall after a good dump Smile
ski holidays
@mooney058, most people need a good dump after the "Swiss" Wall
snow conditions
@under a new name, I nearly 'dumbed' at the begining of the Swiss Wall, except the top section it was fiiiinneee Embarassed
ski holidays
What question is that?It is like asking which superhero is most powerful in comic books store.The best ones are those you currently have under your feet.
latest report
@mooney058, you have to skate and launch in. Then it's easy.p
snow report
@under a new name, if skiing was easy you'd all telemark . . . and be able to carve switch.
latest report
@Masque, tell and riding switch are easy. Not sure what your point is.
snow conditions
@under a new name, 19hr,700 mile day ... just being arsey wink

But being honest, there really is nothing better of more sublime than a snowboard in powder. Get it right and yes, it is effortless and if you want to say it, 'easy'.that's what allows you to really 'feel' the snow under your feet, all the subtle changes in texture and density.

At my age it's better that sex and half the price Embarassed
snow report
@Masque, ha ha snowHead

I can't snowboard. Can't skateboard either. But real powder is a joy. No matter what you're riding. No?
snow conditions
Plus one for Preachers. They are great for powder days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
@under a new name, 19hr,700 mile day ... just being arsey wink

But being honest, there really is nothing better of more sublime than a snowboard in powder.

Until you get to the flatter bit, then your skier mates will be standing around shouting obscenities at you and deciding if the "no friends on a powder day rule" applies wink
Alternatively you can go for the best of both worlds - buy some CL Redeemers.
snow report
Take a look at Line Magnum Opus.
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
... Until you get to the flatter bit, then your skier mates will be standing around shouting obscenities at you ...

Or ride with competent snowboarders. Snowboards are quicker than skis in powder, so I usually start at the back of a group and finish at the front. You do need to know look ahead and use the terrain quite a bit more than skiers, who for some reason don't seem to mind shuffling down a hill, which seems daft to me whatever you do it on.
snow conditions
Ha, this reminds me of a trip a couple of years ago when I ended up skiing Day 1 and showing a couple of boarder pals (friends of friends who I'd not been away with before) around St Anton first morning of the trip. After I'd kept dropping off the sides between pistes in really safe areas to avoid flat bits and suggesting the boarders follow (who'd previously maintained they were competent offpiste) they stayed on the pistes and then ended up unclipping, and generally faffing about and moaning at me for taking them the wrong way..........needless to say just before lunch it came to a head....I asked why they didn't follow, it was only slack offpiste and they'd be fine, I was accused of being a bit gung-ho on Day 1 and that I needed to make special allowances for boarders! No problems from then on, they found there own way about, and proceded to complain that evening over dinner about how I hadn't made allowances - I and mrs MM29 had a great afternoon in the pow! Still makes me laugh the thought of all that faffing......I have to say though, when you see a competent boarder off piste, carving huge steeps and hooking big jumps it looks such fun, and very very impressive. Toofy Grin
latest report
Competent boarders will always find their own line and not bitch too much. However traverses which are a piece of wee wee on skis can be a significant PITA on a board The idea that one tool is objectively better than the other in pow is frankly trolling nonsense. I would be entirely neutral if you were to deposit me at the top of a plush Chugach chute with either.
latest report
I have to admit, although I have tested a few other skis, the 2015 Atomic Bent Chetlers that I bought at the beginning of last season have ticked every box. They will do everything reasonably well, flap a bit at the rockered tips and tails on icy blacks, but get them in powder and they just put such a smile on your face. They also make a great half day touring ski if you are not concerned with being the fastest.

snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Markymark29, i'm quite serious. PdS (@Glosrules, that includes Morzine by the way) gets more snow than you'd expect for its general height etc., but it's a lucky day that you find powder of a depth and consistency to require powder skis.

It is not Canada.

If you have fat enough skis you'll have a lot more days that feel like deep days wink

As to Canada... I'm becoming more and more sceptical that they don't actually get all that much more snow over the pond than Europe. Or than Austria anyway, I don't know much about France.

BUT, average snowfall in Whistler is 11.6 metres (given the reports of rain in the village I assume that's for the upper slopes at around 2000m), while Warth in Austria averages 10.6 metres at 1670m (not the top of the mountain!). Even this year Avoriaz got over 6 metres at 1800m...
ski holidays
@clarky999, and all of those days will feel like you're skiing on piste... rolling eyes
snow conditions
@clarky999, I'm not sure it's the quantity of snow rather than the quality that's at issue. And at lower, tree lined, non-glaciated altitude. I suspect that there's as much powder falls around Chamonix - but quite a lot of the time it's high up, not so accessible and more avalanche risky than say, heli accessed from one of CMH's lodges.

But that's only a suspicion.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@clarky999, and all of those days will feel like you're skiing on piste... rolling eyes

No they won't. Floating/planing/surfing on powder, which behaves much like a liquid, is as different from standing on top of a hard snow surface as... surfing a wave and skating on an ice rink. And you're only on top of it when you move fast enough wink
ski holidays
The on v in thing is just UANN's vestigial troll appendage rearing its....like helmets and avy safety and boots in hand luggage the sane have long ago concluded where they stand (or sink).
snow report
Quote:

oh no, there is - It's a Porsche and Queen

Funny that, they'd be close to the bottom of my list for both
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy