Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Persol Sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all (1st post)

Does anyone have an opinion on whether these would be suitable for skiing. I'm looking to a buy a new pair for my summer hols but would like them to double up as ski glasses for the winter:

http://www.persol.com/uk/sunglasses/film-noir/PO3074S/24-57

The ones with Polarised lenses.

I don't want to buy a £200 pair of shades only for them to be the wrong type of lenses or to steam up as soon as I start moving.

Cheers
Simon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would prefer a wrap round design, cold air blast does make my eyes water but it does depend on how fast you ski. Also bright light reflected from the snow can reach your eyes through the open sides. Never underestimate the power of the sun to burn at altitude.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TopGooner, Hi and welcome to Snowheads!!

I'm a bit of a fan of Persol and have skied using a number of Persol frames and lenses for quite a few years.
Persol have a dark green lens similar to the RayBan G15 which is perfect for skiing in sunlight, and a blue photochromaic lens that is even better. However, I doubt the crystal Polar Brown lenses in the sunglasses on your link would be as effective as either the green or the blue.... (opinion I know). The "wayfarer" style of the P03074S Persol, whilst being cool and stylish, will be okay for skiing (cool and stylish), but may let in light from above and the sides. I doubt they would mist-up that much, and should certainly clear when you get any sort of speed up skiing.

Have you considered checking out Ebay? There are a fair few Persol sunglasses, new and used, that go for less than half your £200 pair of shades. Just be careful you get the frame size right, as Persol can be a tad small. The codes on the sunglasses frame usually help, with lens size, bridge width, and arm length.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TopGooner, have you skied before? Igoggles are way better, and it could be had for much much less that 200 ... What do you do if it snows or rains during skiing?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied a fair bit (probably about 10 weeks worth) but not in the last 10 years and technology has moved on in that time. We're going to Mayrhofen in last March so hoping to catch some rays but who knows.

I'm not a fan of goggles. Too claustrophobic. If it snow heavily or rains, I'll be in the bar.

Any thoughts on these lenses in snowy conditions?

http://www.shadestation.co.uk/Oakley-Sunglasses-Enduro-OO9223-15.html

I do like the Persol glasses but they're very heavy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@TopGooner, sorry, I'm in the goggles camp Smile I do not even notice mine (Giro Onset) once it is on my face and my helmet. I ski in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar and sometimes April - never thought of sunglases for skiing, although some people ski wearing sunglases - I do not judge, but see no sense in it at all. Sunglases for the bar - goggles for skiing Smile But then I would assume you are not wearing a helmet if you did not ski in 10 years? Old school snowHead so you choice is to go 'old school' and be cool, or gear-up and cool too Smile Just bear in mind, technology indeed advanced, same as the number of people on snow and those who think they can ski, but in reality they do not ski, just 'get down' the mountain. These are the perils and that is why I use both helmet and goggles (in my books goggles are more important than a helmet).

If you are going in March, just go to the closest Decathlon and get some curvy sunglases - even if it snows, you eyes will be better covered/protected from snow if it would be snowing, and when the sun is shining, no glare from the snow too.

Appologies, my English today is terrible - I see it when I type, must blame it on my friends and beer Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TopGooner, Persol are heavy for a reason ............... they use glass lenses, and metal in the arms!

Did you look on Ebay? ............ You could afford to buy new Persol sunglasses AND the Oakleys for the £200 you've mentioned.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One thing to remember is RayBan Persol and the Oakleys I bought the other day will have similar optical characteristics. THey are all made in Italy (get the Italian made) by the same company. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, Luxottica. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimastaaah wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Luxottica. wink

Thats the one. I knew it was Lux something.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I prefer glasses to goggles when it's sunny but, following a massive shiner acquired on a collision, I wouldn't wear metal-framed ones again. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
I prefer glasses to goggles when it's sunny but, following a massive shiner acquired on a collision, I wouldn't wear metal-framed ones again. Twisted Evil

I've busted Persol glasses in a fall, busted raybans in a fall, and cracked goggles in a fall. I ski with sunglasses or goggles with and without a helmet, the choice is weather dependent, and where I'm going. And I must say that these items are seen as "disposable" when skiing. In many ways so are skis as I tend to ski 2/3 weeks per set of skis over 2/3 seasons, and rotate through piste skis/powder skis/demo-skis depending upon conditions and the time of year or where I am. - Same approach to eyewear, choose a variety of sunglasses or goggles with different or variable lenses to suit the sunlight you ski in. A bit like the skis chosen for piste/powder/BC. One pair of sunglasses or one pair goggles cannot deal with all types of light.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimastaaah, it wasn't the glasses which were bust, but my face! I still wear specs in the sun, but not metal-framed ones.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, Shows just how well made some sunglasses are! And I am in no way suggesting you are a "softy"! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Modern goggles are a great thing, unobstructive light weight and with a field of view. Mine also protected my face in a face plant this season.
Sunnies are great in the bar Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy