Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gift for the man who had everything - Volant Pure Platinum v Volkl V-Works RMT?

Poster: A snowHead
A group of us looking to club together to buy a pair of skis as a birthday present for the "man who has everything"! Looking for a piste-biased all-mountain ski.

Thinking about the Volant Platinum or Volkl V-Works as being really top end options. Understand that these are both ridiculously priced skis however he will very much like the idea of receiving a really top end pair of skis (all the gear but no idea).

Has anyone compared these 2 skis and if so which should we go for?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
V Werks are nice skis but spyderjon will have an opinion on build quality. Whitedot Director Carbonlites would be my choice for a high end all mountain cos they are way more agile ( and slightly bonkers) than their width suggests. ( appreciate they wouldn't meet many people's definition of piste biased ).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice call @Dave of the Marmottes, they may not be the first ski that springs to mind (well, they are for me, and clearly you too!) but they do fit the criteria and I love that they are bonkers!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our mate Luca in Champoluc had a pair of Lacroix 2 seasons ago with a €4,400 price tag, no bindings. Certainly exclusive....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@1556garyt, can I be your friend.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@1556garyt, the v werks I skied were a good ski, felt stable and did what I wanted. But for much less money and similar exclusivity you want to look at the kniessl range, plus their build quality and performance is really very good and I couldn't get a fag paper between that and the v werks.

Black stars if you want a good piste ski, talk to Tim if you want something wider.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look at the DPS (pure construction) piste skis - Cassiar I think? I think the skis you mentioned are top end in price but not in (piste) performance...

The Whitedot carbonlights are also a good shout, but for piste bias maybe the new Ranger 98 (I think?).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitedot Ranger 98 CarbonLite or, as it's a special present how about a pair of monogrammed Pure Freeride Design skis
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, - as much as we like him, we don't like him €4,400-much.

Presume the Volants' are cr4p?

Of course the biggest challenge here is to buy a pair of skis as a gift without him testing... Lot of money to spend for him to say, thanks but I'd rather have had...!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1556garyt wrote:

Presume the Volants' are cr4p?
..!

Doubt you'll find anyone who has tested them. Must admit I thought they were badge engineered stuff for the Russkies these days.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@1556garyt, how about sending him to build his own skis then, so he gets exactly what he wants?

http://www.spurart.at/?lang=en
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, too much logistics!

DPS seem a credible business and ships from both the States and Germany so they may be an option. Can't help but think that a Co that manufactures several thousand pairs of skis must be a better option than a small firm like Pure Freeride Design? Difficult to assess the very small cottage manufacturers so maybe need to look at the next group up?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love my ranger carbonlites but personally for piste-biased I would want a bit more conventional side cut and camber. But that is a matter of taste - the volkls sound a good idea, also the kniessel suggestion. I reckon something like stoeckli stormrider 88 would be good too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently thinking that the DPS Cassair 95 might do the trick - Nice review here: http://exoticskis.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=366

There do seem to be DPS Authorised Dealers in Europe but unclear if there is any advantage in buying in Europe over getting shipped from US - if purchased directly from factory in Utah, it would seem that VAT will be added on delivery.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Currently thinking that the DPS Cassair 95 might do the trick - Nice review here: http://exoticskis.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=366

There do seem to be DPS Authorised Dealers in Europe but unclear if there is any advantage in buying in Europe over getting shipped from US - if purchased directly from factory in Utah, it would seem that VAT will be added on delivery.

wait till the annual summer pre season discount: http://www.dpsskis.com/blog/save-date-dreamtime-july-15-august-1-2015/
ski holidays
In the end went with the DPS Cassiar 95. The clincher was that this year they are doing a special limited edition Cassiar 95 for their Protect Our Winter partnership, so on top of everything else the guy is going to get a pretty rare ski.

Hopefully he will appreciate it! Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy