Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tennis Elbow.

Poster: A snowHead
Not quite sure what triggered it off, but it has been niggling since early April. Self-diagnosed and I've been doing some exercises suggested online which appeared to be helping. Some times I have hardly any pain, but today every little thing has set off a sharp severe pain shooting up and down my arm Reaching into a cupboard or carrying a shopping bag or heavy object is a no go area. I cannot put it down to use of my computer and mouse as I am right handed, and it is my left that is afffected (although I am a two-handed typist). I nearly dropped my wine glass this evening, so it is time to act. Suggestions? I am going to find a physio.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My GP suggested a wrist brace to restrict muscle movement pulling on the tendons. Seems to help me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Super-icing! http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/how-to-reduce-inflammation.html and ice-massage
and get a good strap http://brace.supportsusa.com/brace/pc/Epi-Sport-Elbow-Epicondylitis-Clasp-6p191.htm
this exact strap, which is hard plastic, worked well for me for golfer's elbow which is effectively the same problem (you reverse it for tennis elbow).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strangely, masturbation can be both the cause and the cure on this one, though you might want to get im indoors to, erm, lend a hand.

My dad had this and used a brace to help, but I'd talk to a physio to confirm what type etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mistress Panda wrote:
Strangely, masturbation can be both the cause and the cure on this one

Interesting. Do you have scientific proof of this?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mistress Panda wrote:
Strangely, masturbation can cure this one, but I'd talk to a physio to confirm what type etc.

I suspect some physios may take exception.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mistress Panda, There's nowt like the advice a father can give, you must have lived in a very "open" household.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was taught a type of pinching massage along the outside of (little finger side) the lower arm which helped a lot, but I have had far less pain since I had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome. Might just be a coincidence but if you have any numb/tingly fingers its something to note.

A good osteopath or physio is likely to be a big help.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm afraid the main cure is just rest and time. Loads of time. A good physio may be able to help and an elbow strap is also useful. As for osteopaths, well apart from being skilled in the area @Mistress Panda, recommends I'd tend to avoid them and rather put my faith in science and medicine.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 3-06-15 15:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CaravanSkier, no numb or tingly fingers, so don't think that is the problem. I've been doing the massage, as hubby was taught to do that too.
I'm going to try and find time for a physio appointment, although I'm working full time for the next month. I found an epicondylitis clasp in the house last night.
FTZ, my late father-in-law was a very very good osteopath and physiotherapist.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had this a least a decade ago. I couldn't carry anything etc. I somehow managed a prompt NHS physio referral and went for a while and haven't had any recurrences since
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The only time I've had acupuncture is for tennis elbow and either it worked brilliantly or it was the placebo effect or just time Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, Whatever route you choose I hope the pain eases, its horrid when it interferes with life, especially with things like drinking wine Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CaravanSkier, it is much better today, despite doing almost exactly the same things as the rest of the week. Wine going down nicely.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got it a fair bit this winter through poling. As well as stretching tendons my physio who I was seeing for other things suggested also stretching biceps and triceps. Kept it under control and less painful.
snow conditions
@Claude B, I will add those stretches to my exercises.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells,

Go for the acupuncture. Drinking less wine will never achieve anything wink
ski holidays
Bowen Technique - Google it. I had two treatments for my Tennis Elbow and it completely disappeared.
snow conditions
Also had trouble from this through poling (while touring).

The thing that really shifted it for me was regular massage on the point of pain. Can't remember whether I had golfer's elbow or tennis elbow, but the pain (and the massage) was on the tendon in the little soft spot between the hard bone at the outside tip of the elbow and the outer forearm muscle.

Massage was just getting my fingertips in there and rubbing hard for a minute or two at a time, as often as I remembered to do it!
snow report
@stevomcd, I've been doing that for the past few days and along with some anti-inflammatory gel, it does seem to be working.
ski holidays
Search for super 7 exercise which should show you some drills to cure tennis / golf elbow. Worked for me.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, doc prescribed me ibuprofen and, on another occasion another anti-flammatory (Diclofenac) for tendon problems. I said at the time that I was already using an ibuprofen gel and if I should/shouldn't keep using it. Quote:

"Whatever you like - the pills I'm giving you will be about 1,000,000 times stronger!".

Have read elsewhere a few times that ibuprofen gel is such low concentration (and absorption through the skin so ineffective) that it's no better than a placebo and any benefit is much more likely to be from the effect of rubbing it in!
snow conditions
@stevomcd, this gel is actually diclofenac, and has made a difference, placebo or massaging effect I don't really care. Pharmacist hat on and off again. Diclofenac is a really good NSAID, but safety profile is not so good, so rarely prescribed now.
snow report
First – Rest your injured elbow as much as possible to avoid re-injury. Wear either a brace or even better, tape the elbow. Second - cold therapy. A cold compress (especially right after activity) will reduce any noticeable swelling, unnoticeable inflammation, and will relieve any associated pain you are experiencing. Third - promote blood flow. Look into any treatment that increases the circulation to the treated area (i.e. massage therapy, acupuncture, BFST, ultra-sound). Our bodies have a natural ability to heal by bringing any injured area blood flow, however, the rate at which it does so is very slow. Increasing the circulation increases the amount of nutrients and oxygen and thus helps you heal at an accelerated rate. The increased blood flow also lubricates the area, helping prevent further damage during movements.

I'm a huge advocate of taping. I didn't understand the purpose very much until I wore it to help heal my Morton's neuroma, but it made a HUGE difference.
snow report
According to research nothing is 100% or full proof. Have seen numerous tennis elbows in my practice in A&E and GP land. Advice as above (and agree with NSAIDs gel info). Then my wife had it for a couple of months and was wingeing non-endlessly. Did a bit of research and came up with this:
http://www.elbowease.com/

It is cheap and anything to get the wife to exercise. It worked. Arguably may have got better anyway as if she had been using NSAIDs/gels/supports/cortisone injections.
snow report
@Hells Bells, Feel free to PM me if you want some sensible advice G
snow conditions
@ScaryG,thank you. At the moment thanks to two weeks holiday and following the exercises and massaging that J's physio gave him a couple of years ago, it seems to be much improved. I will what happens after a couple of weeks back at work, but I will be in touch if it returns.
snow report
@Hells Bells, Hopefully it will be long gone by the time your BBQ rolls around but if not I'm at your disposal x
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See your GP and ask for an injection. After weeks of physio with no improvement it worked for me.
snow report
Do you drive? Is it your right hand? Driving can bring on the same symptoms if you are inclined to turn the wheel using one hand. The motion induces stresses through the elbow that are quite strange and unnatural. Remember before powered steering? Driving at 10 to 2 as though you don't have powered steering can really help.
ski holidays
I'll say it again - Bowen Technique, Google it - no need for doctors or drugs.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice. It is now better. No physio, no Bowen technique and no injections. It was my left arm, and there was no real explanation for it. A two week rest on holiday seems to have cured it.
latest report
I always suggest cold therapy and taping. These are my fav cold wraps: http://www.kingbrand.com/Elbow-Ice-Packs-and-wraps.php?REF=46PV61.276
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy