Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RED RUN | Abandoned Ski Village

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/n-1FFrZUqZg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brilliant.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's a wikid video but more seriously:

http://youtube.com/v/KATwuJGe_xE

This situation does rather need fixing: http://snowsportforsheffield.co.uk/

For the slacktivists, here's the petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/snow-sport-for-sheffield

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 1-06-15 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
5m 40. "I started out on piste patrol, then the boot room before moving up the bar"

Pmsl
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Such a bloody shame. Id never been there, but having learnt at stoke I know exactly what they mean about the community atmosphere. Its an atmosphere and community that just doesn't occur (or at least isn't as prevalent in snow domes). Theres something about skiing at night, or sunny weekends at a dry slope that snow domes don't have. The smell of beeswax, mr sheen and burning bases (or skin), the smell of the trees and algae from the tanks Happy. Very sadly I can't see dry slopes lasting forever. Its nice to see some hanging in there and its a testament to those who manage them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Very sadly I can't see dry slopes lasting forever. Its nice to see some hanging in there and its a testament to those who manage them.

Kendal is growing, and yes that's a testament to the team there (and maybe the 'get outdoors' attitude of Lakes folk).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How did it get so decrepit? The fire must have destroyed the buildings but I don't see how the slopes got in to such a state. Is this just pure vandalism?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suspect people nicked the snowflex to make kickers in their gardens.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely just borrowed, to be returned at some time in the future Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually, I hear Kendal is 'growing'... suspicious? Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@admin, Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PaulC1984, Snowtrax down by Christchurch, is doing very well. It has a restaurant and a decent shop and they've just replaced most of the surface (Admin). But it lacks the length and the jumps and the half pipe Sheffield had. And the money's in ringos and skibobs and beginners' lessons. That said, there are some very sound freestylers down there.

I think there's a place for a decent dryslope set up. It would need to have the jumps like Sheffield and the length for a decent ski (which even the fridges can't manage). And unlike some lucky snowHeads I don't have a place in the Alps or the opportunity for multiple trips, but I can get to and afford the local dryslopes. It's just that they are a little lacking. If they could offer a bit more I would rather go there than ride a bike or run on a treadmill.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pleased to say that the dry slope at Rossendale has just got £500K from the Lottery/Sport England and has ambitious plans to rebuild and renovate so someone thinks it's worthwhile....

Lots of hard work going in form the current team there - good luck to them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
henzerani wrote:
I think there's a place for a decent dryslope set up. It would need to have the jumps like Sheffield and the length for a decent ski (which even the fridges can't manage).

Decent length dryslopes do exist. Gloucester has a 230m and 250m slope, one which has permanent jumps (but not a half-pipe) and they regularly have an air-bag out. Pontypool is also 230m, but has no jumps. Hillend/Midlothian (Edinburgh) has a 450m slope.

By comparison, the longest indoor slope in UK (Chill Factore) is only 180m.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I note that the Red Run video (a very slick production) was on Powder magazine's site also.

Fridges seem tame compared with a decent dry slope - they're too flat and too slow. They're also often crowded, badly patrolled, and commercial. Clearly there's a market for the "lifestyle experience" snow sports can bring to a shopping centre, but if you're actually into the sport then indoors in the uk isn't great.

I'm glad to hear Rossendale has more funding, and even happier that it's not from some sugar water company.
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
henzerani wrote:
I think there's a place for a decent dryslope set up. It would need to have the jumps like Sheffield and the length for a decent ski (which even the fridges can't manage).

Decent length dryslopes do exist. Hillend/Midlothian (Edinburgh) has a 450m slope.

[PEDANT ON]Hillend actually has 2 slopes of a similar length. The original slope (which has the steepest sections) and a newer slope that was opened about 3 years ago that joined up to the original Tow Slope (as it is known). There is also a jump slope and there was another freestyle area with a rail and other bits but that has been allowed to decay and is now closed off.[/PEDANT OFF]
snow conditions
admin wrote:
I suspect people nicked the snowflex to make kickers in their gardens.

admin wrote:

Err ...

Kendal Snowsports Club
http://www.kendalsnowsportsclub.co.uk/about/

Quote:
We are a purely voluntary organisation. The people who greet you in the lodge and take your money, hand out tokens and set up the equipment for you are all members who have volunteered, as are the ground staff, club officers and our highly-trained team of instructors.
All monies are ploughed back into the club facilities. We all do it because at whatever level of ability, we all love skiing. The club’s aim is to encourage anyone who wants to, to come and learn to ski.
ski holidays
@admin, they would have had to have dyed it as theirs seems to be a smokey grey. Oh . . . ah . . . maybe I've answered my own question!
ski holidays
@Gaza, So is my statement that they have a 450m slope correct or not? Henzerani was bemoaning the lack of length, which I intended to show was not an issue outdoors (but yes we'd all like a 10km slope Happy) Not quite sure why you are being a PEDANT.
ski holidays
admin wrote:

Well it is a green slope...
snow conditions
RobW wrote:
@Gaza, So is my statement that they have a 450m slope correct or not? Henzerani was bemoaning the lack of length, which I intended to show was not an issue outdoors (but yes we'd all like a 10km slope Happy) Not quite sure why you are being a PEDANT.

Your statement is correct. I was being pedantic by pointing out there are actually 2 slopes of c.450m rather than singular inferred in your post by the use of "a" in "has a 450m" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@RobW, my faith is growing. If they can make those work there is hope for other businesses getting involved. I have 3 near me that are all about 100m.

I do find myself looking at the hills round here, working out the length and drop. My favourite at the moment is the hill just east of a little village near Winchester called Standon. I think they could cash in by building a dryslope and changing their name by one letter.

@philwig, I've only been to Milton Keynes, so I am basing my opinion on just one fridge when I agree with you. It was short, narrow and quite busy, but on the plus side, cold and snowy. I found it quite isolated. You need full kit in there but you bake if you go for a wee or a coffee. We went there on a mini "ski break" as they were doing a special price on day passes. So we were expecting to have a leisurely day of skiing with lots of breaks. But as it was a heated shopping mall it became huge palaver of kitting and de-kitting. I did, however, discover the joys of Airkixx.
snow report
@Gaza, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy that was based on an "a"! I'm impressed. I thought I was pedantic.
snow report
Rossendale won the funding last year and hopefully work will start soon,

I remember when Sheffield first opened we used to make some trips over there and even though Yorkshire no passport control to hassle you wink

Was not a bad slope even in the early days, just the so called rabbit warren runs that where useless way too narrow and not steep enough to ski them. The main slope was fine and a nice change of scenery from Rossendale.

Would love to see Sport England dig into their pockets and fund a community run slope there.
snow conditions
I sent a mail to the group purporting to be trying to get it up and running, looking to see how we might help but no-one replied Sad
ski holidays
@admin, Yes but they for some strange reason did not want it renamed "Snowhead-Sheffield"

Strange bunch but hopefully they will see the error of their ways and embrace the Snowhead snowHead
snow conditions
Real shame. I spent happy hours there. Great video.
snow conditions
In other news, the dry slope at Welwyn Garden City is under thread from developers who want to build on the land which is currently owned by the council.
News Article here...
...and the Petition to save Gosling Sports park is here...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I read about that, it's a shame if it goes, didn't know there was a petition, I've signed it
latest report
henzerani wrote:

I think there's a place for a decent dryslope set up. It would need to have the jumps like Sheffield and the length for a decent ski (which even the fridges can't manage). And unlike some lucky snowHeads I don't have a place in the Alps or the opportunity for multiple trips, but I can get to and afford the local dryslopes. It's just that they are a little lacking. If they could offer a bit more I would rather go there than ride a bike or run on a treadmill.

Yes, I completely agree - I think there is definitely a place for dry slopes. With the advent of the indoor fridge, they need to evolve to ensure they differentiate themselves from the fridges. The first way is through longer slopes which (with the cooling costs involved) is much harder for fridges. They also need to embrace the biggest growth area, which is the park element.... jumps, half pipe, maybe even ski cross?

Plus they need to be better managed and looked after - Bracknell looks really tatty these days, and the surface isn't even that old! This place in the US seems to have a really nice set up, it could work well in the UK with the right amount of funding, right focus and a lot of tlc.

http://youtube.com/v/kPJJZA5B1P0
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip,

Great vid and yes dryslopes over here need to look at stuff like this for the way forward. I still have brochures for Astro Gelande? which show numerous slopes in Japan back in the late 80's early 90's and they where still way ahead of dryslopes over here now.
latest report
Annual Sheffield ski village fire! rolling eyes

Some amusing comments there though.
snow conditions
Interestingly, I only counted 15 shots of skis in that film, everything else was a board! Not that I intended to count, but it got half way through and I realised I'd only seen 2 skiers, so then I started counting out of curiousity.
latest report
Aw thinking about the destruction of SSV makes me sad Sad

It was so ace in its hay day.

Although, in the vid that isn't the red run (the 'red baron')! That is the old 'blue snake' which got make into the half pipe and jump Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy