Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody

After crunching myself up a bit last winter, I'm thinking about getting a back protector for next year. What are peoples thoughts about the level of protection they offer? Are they practical, or are they Robocop overkill?

SP are selling RXR Protect models at the moment, which are designed for motocross. They have an inflatable section. Does anyone know about these? There's a model with both front and rear sections "Strongflex Back Protector", which looks rather bulky, and also a back only one "Airback V1" which is lighter. What alternatives are there out there?

Cheers

PJ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've worn a regular one for over 12 years without even noticing it was there. Don't know about airbag ones designed for a different sport- what's the trigger threshold e.g. you don't want to be one and done if the chairlift whacks you a bit hard.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a Forcefield, which I also use on my motorbike. After spills on both bike and in ski park, I can vouch for its usefulness. Flexible tech that moulds to your body, so very comfortable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes I don't think it's an inflating airbag, that could definitely cause some problems! The bladder bit is inflated all the time. They suggest that it provides better impact absorbtion. This seems to add to the overall bulk of it, which is why I'm not so sure about the model that also has chest protection.

Harry Flashman Thanks, I'll check them out too. I imagine that something that works well for bikes would work for skiing. Does anyone make them in that D3 material, that hardens on impact?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use an Alpinestars like the one shown here - http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/orion8419/100_0807.jpg - that isin't me, I've just pulled it from the web. Toofy Grin I bought it when I had a sports bike and wore it while riding both long and short distances. I have serious back issues that are currently under control but I am aware that a heavy fall in the wrong way could trigger it again. That is why I hauled the back protector out of the attic and used it for the first time skiing this year. It is comfortable to wear and never seemed to notice it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I ve had back issues (prolapsed disc ending with an op) and now use an Ortovox "Freeride" back pack with built in back protector which also has a very good, large corset like belt. I tend to always ski with a bag(always trying to go off piste) so I don't mind that and it means at lunch I can take off the back protector component easily . My daughters are in Scott soft back protectors as well. The other ones to look at are Poc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My son uses this Forecefield Back Protector - http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/forcefield-back-protector-flyer-l1/784108 - it use the same flexible technology that molds to your body as it warms up. This is the adult version - http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/forcefield-carve-back-protector/784111
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've tried the motocross alpinestars jacket type and the smaller spine only version. I found both too hot and also found that neither added any stability for what I needed. My back injury is two broken vertebrae and I'm most susceptible to injury through vertical impacts i.e. falling on my backside. I found impact shorts a more effective solution.

I think the alpinestars ones are very very good if you are planning to fall broadside on a fixed object i.e. half pipe, rails, trees, boulders etc. If that's not your thing I think the cons outweigh the pros.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've opted for the RXR back support. I'll see how that works, once it's arrived in the post. I'll let you know if it's too bulky.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought one from Sportspursuit a few weeks ago, a Forcefield Sports Lite L1. I don't really do park but am getting on Embarassed and a friend fractured his back in 4 places in April which convinced me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Claude B,
Quote:

I don't really do park but am getting on and a friend fractured his back in 4 places in April which convinced me.

This for me too, though my reaction to my brother-in-law's fractures has been somewhat dinosaur-like - several years have elapsed since his accident and it is only today that I've bought a back protector. It's being taken out from behind, like he was, that scares me. I was at Ski Bartlett today collecting my skis from servicing, so I bought one of these off them:
http://www.skibartlett.com/slytech-2nd-skin-xt-back-protector-2015-24043-p.asp It feels very comfortable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy