Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Winter tyres?

Poster: A snowHead
Finally - binned the rubbish Bridgestones that came with the car - or at least - were main dealer recommended.

2010 Nissan Murano.

235/65 x 18 106H

Previously had Dunlop Grandtrek WT3 on the previous car (225 not 235) and were much happier.

Never too early to start looking.

Recommendations anyone?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've used Vredstein Wintrac 4xtremes on our X-Trail last winter. If they do them in your size they were great in ice, snow and rain. Back to the Dunlops for the summer that came with the car.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tyrereviews or some similar site publishes all the main European tests.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Part worns. Plenty about - very cheap.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Must have had at least 3 sets of Vredestein Wintracs on the old Espace now and always been happy. However this year ended up needing to get new whilst out in France and ended up with Nokians recommended by the garage. Not 100% on the model but think they are A3s, really really impressed with them over the Vredesteins. The tread pattern is different on the inner and outer part of the tyre, the garage guy made a big thing of explaining it. Anyway I was very happy with them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got Wintracs too. Worth looking on Tyre Leader. German company with a huge range and far cheaper than here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cameronphillips2000, given the keeping of the car is under some review, fair point, but given I've just worn through a set from new, and a good set is an advantage when selling, why would I want dodgy second hand ones? wink i was always told never to buy second hand tyres (or retreads)

Nokians ought to have a good heritage...one would imagine.

Buying in France or Switzerland (or, arguably, Italy).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, i do not like that site at all. Divided into categories and then rated within that category? Weird and not at all helpful. I.e. Some dodgy Chinese brands that TCS suggested wer downright dangerous were all out on their own in their own category. So, one of them got 90%.

Next?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tyre leader or "centrale pneus" over here certainly very nice prices
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd have thought the Autobild test on the right hand menu were fairly reliable.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have had contiwintercontact 830 for the last two years, they are great in all departments. Had Nokians previously also great.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave, I probably didn't see that.

I think I may default to the Dunlops. I knew they were good.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, given the keeping of the car is under some review, fair point, but given I've just worn through a set from new, and a good set is an advantage when selling, why would I want dodgy second hand ones? wink i was always told never to buy second hand tyres (or retreads)

Nokians ought to have a good heritage...one would imagine.

Buying in France or Switzerland (or, arguably, Italy).

I'd never normally buy second hand but winter tyres are different. Thousands of Europeans change their tyres every six months as it's the law in many areas, often with little wear on them. The market is flooded with good quality hardly used winter tyres, many of them arrive here in the UK. I've had many part worn winter tyres for £25. They've often been like new.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This place has a good reputation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195-65-15-michelin-alpin-m-s-1956515-Part-Worn-Winter-Tyres-x2-/391135659784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b11808708
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cameronphillips2000, I should have mentioned I live in Switzerland. The clue's in the tag snowHead
latest report
From Michelin's site:-

Quote:
Snowflake-shaped shoulder markings on MICHELIN winter tyres indicate the position of winter tread wear indicators—which are in addition to the standard 1.6 mm tread wear indicators. The winter tread wear indicators are set at 4 mm of remaining tread depth. For optimum performance in snow, change your winter tyres when the tread wears down to the 4 mm tread wear indicator.

So for £44 you get about a months use before they need changing Shocked
snow conditions
The Auto Express reviews should be a starting point: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/66645/winter-tyres-test-reviews-and-prices-for-2014-2015. I don't know when this year's report will be published.

I've used Dunlop Winter Sport for a number of years now on both my wife's 2wd car and my 4WD. Before I fitted them to my 4WD, I was on all terrain off road tyres, and I can tell you I would rather be in my wife's 2wd car on snow than in the 4WD on all terrain tyres.
snow report
Lots of test - but auf Deutsch:
https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/

Good prices and info:
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/
snow conditions
Falken Eurowinters from 123pneus. The mutt's nuts in the winter (I've had them all) and half the price of the big name brands. Can afford to change them every second winter at the winter wear indicators; I keep them on for alternate summers, so the summer tyres last forever!

Edit: just had a look and not "half price" in your size, but still a lot cheaper and as good or better than premium brands.
ski holidays
Personal choice Nokian WR A3. Originally recommended by a friend in the business. Tried them on my BMW 320 (RWD) and they were stunning, couldn't believe the road conditions they dealt with, swear by them now.
snow report
@under a new name, try http://www.reifendirekt.de/

I've ordered mine from them at way lower prices than my dealer's price and any of the regular tyre chains that do offers. They even delivered them to my workshop for me last season when I needed to order 2 at short notice. Now is a good time to get deals because of the 5(?) year rule here (not sure if it is the same elsewhere) which means dealers off load tyres that are getting close to that age and are still unsold.
snow conditions
For a big car do pay attention to the load index (106 in your case) and do not simply follow names and brands mentioned on here. What works for a small or medium car may not necessarily be ok for your car. Reifendirect.de is a good place, just check the coorect size, speed index and load index.

Reifendirect has a CH section as well, of the suitable models, this Conti looks rather good - Continental ContiCrossContact Winter 235/65 R18 110H XL, while falken eurowinter tyre is priced +\- the same
ski holidays
if anyone n Glasgow are a wants 3 continental 185/65/15 for free let me know (pickup only)
snow report
I have Dunlop Winter Sport 3D on my Audi A6 Allroad and my wife has Nokian WR-A3 235/60 R16 104H on her Kuga. Difficult to do a direct comparison but the Nokians feel slightly more sure-footed than the Dunlops. They also have a much higher Economy rating B v E IIRC. I got my Dunlop's as a complete wheel and tyre package )original Audi wheels) from www.reifenprofi.de . They were secondhand but still had nearly 8mm on all four tyres. I got the Nokians as a wheel and tyre package (aftermarket wheels) from mytyres.co.uk. That is just a UK front for www.delti.com who offer wheels and tyres all over Europe. In fact, they have a SWiss site - http://www.reifendirekt.ch

Nokian do a tyre in your size - www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/
snow report
Timc wrote:
Personal choice Nokian WR A3. Originally recommended by a friend in the business. Tried them on my BMW 320 (RWD) and they were stunning, couldn't believe the road conditions they dealt with, swear by them now.

That is what we use.
latest report
I am liking the looks of these Nokians. @shep, any experience of such?
snow conditions
as a 'nordic' person, I like discussing tyres Smile

Please note, lower speed index (Q or R) are usualy refered to as a 'nordic compound' - more suitable to colder climats and lower speeds. It will work perfectly well in Western Europe too, but if you drive a lot on highways or in milder climate conditions, the nordic tyre compound being softer, the tyre will last much less. If only driving on snow, then Nokian offerings with Q and R ratings are the best in the world. If however driving 'TO' the mountains is the main part of driving and then the car is stationary next to a challet, then dunlop, michelin, conti, pirelli winter tyres are a better option. Or Nokian's tyres with H and similar speed ratings.
ski holidays
Good grief. It's June 1st.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use the Nokian WR A3s on my Subaru... a brilliant winter tyre and the performance is good for all year round use too. The V rated version is suitable for high speed driving.
latest report
Nokian don't do a WR A3 in 235/65 R18; only the Hakkapeliitta R2 and that has a maximum speed rating of 170 kph.
snow conditions
neither do they do one in 275/40/R18 with a high speed and load rating.... Sad
snow conditions
@ansta1, check you car's owners manual, you do not need to put the same size tyres even on the same rim (it has certain margins), Nokian offers new D4 model that has high speed rating and go as wide as 245.

I prefer to run a separate winter and summer tyre sets - summer ones are R19; while winter set-up is R17 - a compromise on 'looks' for winter, but no compromise for safety. And I can just take off summer wheels and put winter wheels whenever needed, no need to book garage and pay for it.
latest report
I went with an all round tyre but I don't live in the Alps! It's very quiet running and gets good reviews. Goodyear Vector 4Seasons
snow report
An all round tyre is just like an all round ski - depending on the perspective it could be equaly OK for all conditions or equaly be rubbish for all conditions. This very much depend on skiing/driving speed and conditions, particular skier/car weight/performance. So it is all relative in the end. My moto - best equipment for conditions, which I translate as a snowflake and mountain symbol if driving to/in the Alps. But then again, I come from a place that usualy has quite some snow and ice, and I usualy drive with a family, so my second moto - 'better safe than sorry' Smile
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
@ansta1, check you car's owners manual, you do not need to put the same size tyres even on the same rim (it has certain margins), Nokian offers new D4 model that has high speed rating and go as wide as 245.

I prefer to run a separate winter and summer tyre sets - summer ones are R19; while winter set-up is R17 - a compromise on 'looks' for winter, but no compromise for safety. And I can just take off summer wheels and put winter wheels whenever needed, no need to book garage and pay for it.

I know, but I have 2 sets of AMG alloys, 275/40/18 rear, 245/45/18 fronts. Was hoping I could put a set of winters on one set and swap them as needed. I can get Winters to fit the rims, though given the size certainly not an ideal winter tyre size, but cheap they are not....

Could go steel rims or other alloys in a slightly different size but will see.
snow conditions
@ansta1, stick the details of your car into here:
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-for-car/

They do good deals on sets of steel rims and winter tyres combined.
ski holidays
@under a new name, I've been really impressed with my avon ice touring tyres. Would recommend them. http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/ice-touring-st
latest report
@altis, thanks, they are really good prices. In fact even better than I can get from my friendly tyre dealer which is a bit of shock. Winters still coming up at £297 per rear and they don't list a steel wheel option which doesn't surprise me.
snow conditions
@ansta1, why not try pirelli sotto zero?
ski holidays
18 inch steel rolling eyes forget it, these do not exist. The same reifendirect.de has the UK section as well, check there, in your size pirelli sotto zero is the obvious choice (been using it on my last two bmw) and they were great
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy