Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crevasse plunge in Switzerland: sensational P.O.V. footage from survivor

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It happened last Sunday, near Saas Fee ...

Video + report/interview from Skipass.com (in French) ...

http://www.zapiks.fr/chute-dans-une-crevasse-stra.html

http://www.skipass.com/news/119000-chute-dans-une-crevasse-strahlhor.html

Brief summary on SKI.HUB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1636893516597414/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is scary, my worst nightmare! Glad there were no casualties.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope, I could not see where the ski went either. I think he must have lost it in the crevasse.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is scary to watch. It seems having a harness was crucial in this situation. Is that standard for glacier skiing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pdsmark wrote:
That is scary to watch. It seems having a harness was crucial in this situation. Is that standard for glacier skiing?

Generally yes (offpiste and away from controlled areas), though it depends a bit on the glacier and season/snow cover. I'm quite comfortable skiing almost all of Stubai for example without a harness, most of the time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My bum clenched a bit when he fell further in!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He had all the gear by the look of it, ice screw, harness, ice axe and quite a bit of other stuff, but the one thing that it is really useful is a whistle for occasions like this, funny he didn't seam to have one??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jeez - you like to think there are some surface clues but nothing really there
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

you like to think there are some surface clues but nothing really there

I might be wrong, but it looked like wind blown snow in that area on the surface, so the crevasse might have been visible a few days before, there was fresh/soft snow at the bottom of the crevasse, so it could have been a very new snow bridge?

Local knowledge and a really good guide essential, but things change so quick on glaciers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the VB in Chamonix everyone wears a harness but on the glacier off Grand Montets most don't, I think after watching this I will. Guides can help but can't always spot crevasses. A couple of years back one got the chop at GM while leading a crevasse rescue course when he fell in a hole he hadn't seen. There looked like a spare ski on the surface.
I thought I could see a slump in the snow that collapsed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Horrifying. The rescue was pretty tricky at the end with the overhang.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both skis went into the crevasse, and were both still attached to boots after initial fall. The second slip further into the crevasse was when the ski was detached, so it was not the spare ski on the surface. I kept thinking he was going to go deeper to look for the lost ski, but then he turned out not to be that stupid!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bigtipper, yes you're right, he kept on looking for it. His skis were on leashes so he was unlucky to lose it but very luck all the same. A girl knew in Chamonix was coming down last on a glacier, everyone was shouting to her about a hole but she only reacted at the last second and jumped right over it. Unfortunately she also jumped out of one of her skis which disappeared down the hole and was lost.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is quite a timely reminder after our recent instruction on crevasse rescue:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118768

One thing we took from it is that it's important not to panic. Rescue can take quite some time - especially if they have to dig a belay - so don't hurry. They all seemed to do everything right yet still lost a ski which necessitated an expensive helicopter evacuation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy