Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interski Scholarship - anyone knowledge? any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So 'the flying bogee" (that worked much better at 7 than it does at 17) went on his school ski trip at Easter and was put forward for the Interski scholarship, which if successful means he'll be sponsored for a week at Xmas and 2 weeks at Easter to do BASI L1 and L2.

He received an e-mail from school yesterday advising that he was one of 30 that had been selected for a further assessment which will whittle it down to the final 10 successful recipients.

Has anyone got any first, second. third hand experience of what is involved in the assessment and any tips they can share with him to increase his chances of success?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Annie, well done to the flying bogee Very Happy Fantastic achievement!

Well, no direct experience but I'd have thought that getting some ski teaching experience, especially with kids, would go a long way to helping increase his chances. Should be straightforward to arrange for him to do some shadowing at a local dry slope or dome. I can help with contacts if Chill Factor e is an option for him. I think that would be a good start. Then often there are lots of instructors there who have worked with Interski and might have some insights into the asessment process.

Lots of luck to him Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My guess (pure guess, I have no nth-hand experience of this scholarship) is that attitude and approach will be a large part of the assessment criteria, not just skiing skill. I would be looking for someone with some enthusiasm (for teaching as well as for skiing) who was keen to learn and improve even if that means doing things differently to the way they've learnt up till now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - @sarah, he is as you would imagine delighted and it brightened up a day of AS exams no end! While the assessment is at Chill Factore, unfortunately we are parked right down in the far corner of the South East but shadowing is a good idea and I will see if there are any opportunities at Chatham.

@kieranm, As you say, I too guess (and only guess) it's about more than being an able skier and believe that attitude/maturity/communication skills were all part of the initial 'scout'. He has aspirations of being a primary school teacher and spends a couple of his off timetable periods as a voluntary helper at a local school as well as being a qualified football coach and referee. Hopefully those activities will help even though not directly ski related.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Annie, if he can do a little at Chatham that should help but from what you say about his other experience, helping at a school and being a football coach, it sounds as if he will be exactly what they are looking for as those skills are very definitely directly transferable to ski teaching. I'm excited for him - and you! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Email them and ask ????

And if looking to get pre teaching experience , approach an in door slope, and get his CRB ( or what ever its called now ) sorted , otherwise u can only watch other instructors, when dealing with under age skiers
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Annie,

Get in touch with Interski and tell them how excited you are and ask what you can do to improve his chances.

I live in Aosta and know the Interski team very well - we have known them for many years now. He will have an amazing time out there, we base a lot of our trips in Pila.

Best of luck to you, let me know if you want any info on the area etc.

Lottie Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the plan is to do L1 at Christmas and L2 at Easter then he would need to do 35 hours Snowsport School Experience in between, it might help if he could show that he had got this organized before the assessment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
If the plan is to do L1 at Christmas and L2 at Easter then he would need to do 35 hours Snowsport School Experience in between, it might help if he could show that he had got this organized before the assessment.

Good point! But actually 70 hours in total, 35 after the L1 in order to complete the L1 and then another 35 before you can apply for the L2. But perhaps Interski have a plan for this, lots of the Gap course build this in somehow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy