Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often to wax? and wax before you store your board off-season?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a board I have used at an indoor snow slope for 10 hours.

Clearly, the edges have no wear from the soft snow, and I didn't touch anything but the snow.

I'm now going to put the board away for storage until nearer next season and I wonder if I should have the board waxed before I store it. It seems a bit excessive, but I don't want to risk the base drying out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im sure some wax guru will be along shortly, but yes I wax my skis for summer storage. I don't bother scrapping etc, thats just a waste of time. For the 10mins it takes to roughly lob on a load of wax, it saves them drying out. Come the winter is when the fun starts and I have to spend a whole weekend stripping and re-waxing all the skis (too many skis!) Happy - Still whats better than retreating to my man cave with cider, my skis, the TV, no wife nagging (I have to send her shopping Sad ) and smell of wax Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Summer storage is subject to a lot of debate. The "official" line would be to fully service and wax them. Just leave the wax on and scrape before your next trip:

http://www.skituning101.com/2010/04/ski-tuning-101-presents-summer-storage.html

However, this is subject to a lot of debate:

http://www.epicski.com/t/103237/what-will-happen-to-my-skis-this-summer-if-i-dont-put-on-a-coat-of-storage-wax
http://www.epicski.com/t/82741/waxing-for-storage-a-solution-to-a-non-problem/30

You pays your money and takes your choice.

I have done both and haven't noticed much difference. Skis are stored in a garage.

I wouldn't wax after 10 hours as a rule. I do ours only after each one week trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If my boards need waxing I'll wax them. I'd not leave a board unwaxed as if I need it then I'll have the fag of waxing it first, if you see what I mean.

If you're storing it somewhere there's any chance of damp then run a bar of wax around the edge too as that stops the edge rusting.

If you're paying then it's usually cheaper/ easier to get 'em done at a resort than in the UK.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Spanglepants, I don't think it will make much difference if you wax it or not... bases mostly dry out from use, not storage. My experience on indoor snow (on skis) is that universal wax usually only lasts a day or so -- so after 10 hours your board would benefit from some !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
perhaps I'll get some of the rub-on stuff, give it a coat and stick it in the little zip up bag it came in for the summer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Spanglepants, take it to bed with you, just to make sure.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was toying with the idea of some vaseline/3in1/axle grease rubbed over the edges before she went to bed for the summer, but I forgot.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rogg,
Don't use any oil based products. Apparently they can seep into the bases and are very difficult to get rid of.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll admit to vaselineing the edges prior to a summer shutdown. Did keep the rust reasonably at bey and never noticed anything seeping into the base or discolouration etc. I wouldn't go for a penetrating oil like 3in1 or similar though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I primarily was thinking of vaseline, axle grease/chip fat etc added for humorous effect (honest guv).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure about taking the board to bed, I'd be a little cautious about the edges and any potential 'carving'... although let's face it, it's unlikely to snore. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne thanks, the 101 ski tuning link has been informative on base edge tools wish I had found that site before .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When storing boards water will sit under the bindings for days trapped in the binder honeycomb .
Even if you remove the binders and use those see through burton plastic zip sleeves they wont stop steel edge surface rust in a damp basement or damp storage .
Other point is the boards core can twist if stored without care for long periods but only racers worry about most of these things in practise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What does seem to happen in practise is if the base is wax protected its far quicker and easier to service the ptex 8 months later especially if you are the diy person doing the donkey work by hand with no work bench.

Otherwise pay someone else to deal with it and they will just grind the base away more than likely .
latest report
Ride it all summer in a dome, keep your core strength up , because if you only go away for a week or 2 ..... you waste first week getting fit and back into it
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy