Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche - Chatel 31 Jan 2015 - Video and commentary by ANENA expert

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An extremely interesting and though provoking video of an avalanche at Chatel this winter. The video is made by the 2 people involved and the commentary by Fred Jarry from ANENA (Association Nationale pour l’Étude de la Neige et des Avalanches ) is very helpful.

http://www.skipass.com/news/118225-avalanche-analyse-de-cas-chatel-2.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some great analysis there with good use of graphics. Could see the slabby snow breaking away before he jumped onto the steeper pitch. Others seem to have taken the more sensible route either side of the gulley that avalanched.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
these videos are just horrific, but so glad he got out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@marksavoie, thanks for posting that, very informative but also a shocking reminder of how easy it is to get buried and how important avalanche training and equipment is. Spurs me on to do some training.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@marksavoie, Its a very interesting video, all to easy as per the analysis, to say what we should do after the event, but in real life !

The two guys filming had gear with them, but the others who turned up to help did not appear to, which shocked me the first time I saw this. Maybe and extra shovel or two would have made it an even quicker rescue?

The importance of training is really brought to the fore on this video. Glad he got out unhurt by the look of it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very scary video and Im glad he appeared to get out unhurt.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some walkie talkies would have been helpful as well
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Absolutely @eblunt! Hey Dennis where the hell are you? No biggie Colin, just 1.5m under snow, but it's all fine since we have radio connection and I don't feel so lonely down here. Let's keep on chatting for a while.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
good stuff. didn't know that point about marking the first place you pick up a signal. seems obvious now
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski wrote:
Glad he got out unhurt by the look of it?

This guy did get out ok, from what I recall at the time. Though there was another avalanche in Chatel, but in a different area, 2 days later where one guy was quite seriously injured.

I remember that particular period well as it was during one of the few really good dumps of the entire season. It had started dumping overnight on Wed/Thur 29 Jan and carried on dumping heavily for the best part of about 5 days. Something close to 2m of new snow at altitude over that period. The Avi risk was high and the Thurs and Fri had delayed lift openings due to blasting. That Saturday of the avalanche was an unexpected bluebird day and was one of the very best, maybe the best, days of the season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy