Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I too old to do the BASI 1 and 2?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I want to know if I am too old to do these courses.. I am 46. Its my dream to take a few months away from home and get to this level. Also I only have 2 weeks skiing experience.. What level would I need to be to start the Level 1?.. thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@summerpudding, Welcome to Very Happy's

Have a look here

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-ski-level-1-.aspx

46 certainly not too old. Best thing is to get down to your nearest artificial slope and have a suitably qualified person (BASI Trainer, BASI ISTD, Snowsport England/Scotland Coach) review your skiing performance --- but 2 weeks is not very long !

Good luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@summerpudding, Or put up a vid of your skiing and let us be the judge Madeye-Smiley

Otherwise, a BASI L1 journey right here...good luck!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91977
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thank you for your advice......I know, 2 weeks is not long at all... accordingly to the "inside out" skiing guide i am level 5.. but I have only ever skied with an instructor/group lesson in Switzerland... my technique is very good apparently.?!

ALQ.. I love your vid... what a journey!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How are your modules, off piste? Of course the ski school says you are good, that's what you paid for. Many old people pass at this level and above.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thank you Stephen59... I have never been off piste, same with modules..yes i know they say everyone is good. Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
46 isn't old rolling eyes
Go for it I say, but as ski says, get your skiing level ascertained first!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why on earth do you want to be an instructor? By all means take a bunch of improvement/development courses but if you are planning on spending a winter skiing there are far better options IMV than jumping through Instructor course hoops.

(Not to say the direct BASI weeks can't be great bang for buck technical coaching in their own right).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX skiing level, clearly not up to standard.. needs more work.

D of the M I don't really want to be a skiing instructor.. its more about a level I would like to get to/personal achievement etc..it also sounds fun
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@summerpudding, not from an age point of view I passed my L2 last year aged 46. I can't comment on your skiing ability, but suspect with 2 weeks experience you may need to do some work!

Whereabouts do you live?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
summerpudding wrote:
I don't really want to be a skiing instructor.. its more about a level I would like to get to/personal achievement etc..it also sounds fun

I'm with you on this, I did my BASI 1 (was 3) many years ago mostly to sharpen up my skiing and make me aware of what I/my legs/feet/arms etc were doing, I have done some teaching and fair play to those who make it their chosen profession, just not for me, ultimately many people who pass their BASI L1 and L2 don't then go on to teach......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Why on earth do you want to be an instructor? By all means take a bunch of improvement/development courses but if you are planning on spending a winter skiing there are far better options IMV than jumping through Instructor course hoops.

(Not to say the direct BASI weeks can't be great bang for buck technical coaching in their own right).

That ^ I love instructing, but for just improving your skiing and having a fun winter instructing courses are not the best value. You'd probably get more out of regular group lessons for while, then deciding what route (piste/off piste/moguls etc) you'd like to go down and pursuing that.

That said, I know quite a few people who have done courses purely as badge collecting, and they have enjoyed it, so I guess if you really want to it's entirely possible. I had a only skied a bit more than you before I did my level 1+2, I think by the level 2 exam I had probably skied about 12 weeks, 5 of them being in a 3 day a week instructor course.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cornwall Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@summerpudding, are you too old for an erection?

Don't ask dumb questions rolling eyes you're never too old to 'do' anything . . . Success . . . on the other hand, is dependent on just how hard you're willing to work at it . . .

46 . . . jeez! I bet his pubes haven't even turned grey let alone fallen out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque.. I'm a woman!! but thank you for your thoughts
ski holidays
@summerpudding, thinking about doing BASI exams is perfectly sensible ambition to work towards, although not the only thing you could focus your skiing on. The best advice I could offer is to make sure you get lots of good, technical instruction. This will ensure that your personal skiing continues to develop, hopefully avoiding bad habits which would otherwise take time to fix later on, as well as giving you a toolbox of teaching skills that will be useful for you when you are being assessed. If you are planning ski trips and are thinking about ski coaching it might be useful for you to ask here for recommendations for good instructors you can work with.
ski holidays
@summerpudding, ^ ^ ^ I can recommend Inside Out Skiing!
Welcome to snowHeads, by the way. Very Happy
latest report
@summerpudding, erections are not gender specific . . . if I can recall that far back in my memory wink . . . the only limitations in front of us are those we place ourselves, you shouldn't demonstrate your doubts in the OP but say "I want, now how can I do! . . . all input will be considered . . . no matter how inane".

The older we get, the greater we perceive the risks and the harder it is to place that first footfall on a new path . . . But snowHeads is littered with people who have done just that and this family is incredibly supportive both emotionally and fiscally. You'll never get rich as an instructor, but from all accounts you can be very fulfilled and happy.

I'm considerably older that you and will yet achieve my instructor certification and long past pubic topiary . . . Embarassed
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
You'll never get rich as an instructor, but from all accounts you can be very fulfilled and happy.
Wealth can be counted in many ways.

[/cringeworthyplatitudes]
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@summerpudding, ^ ^ ^ I can recommend Inside Out Skiing!
Thank you! Very Happy
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I watch you smile when asleep . . . [/creepystalker]

You two farty old misogynists could do with some gender diversification . . . you have a candidate . . . wink
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
@rob@rar, I watch you smile when asleep . . . [/creepystalker]

You two farty old misogynists could do with some gender diversification . . . you have a candidate . . . wink
Ah, we already have three girls on the team Happy
latest report
@rob@rar, WOOooo, have I been out of the loop Shocked Good fer yoos guys. Really pleased to see both the plaudits and the growth, I look forward to embarrassing myself with you next season . . . but you've yet to ride my 'teleboard' Twisted Evil
snow report
Masque wrote:
. . . but you've yet to ride my 'teleboard' Twisted Evil
I've also yet to run naked laps around Trafalgar Square. I suspect neither will happen any time soon!
snow report
@rob@rar, 'suspect' is not a 'never' . . . is this a negotiation . . . or should I go straight to blackmail?

keep digging lad Twisted Evil

Sorry @summerpudding, getting a bit off topic but if you want a real evaluation of your current skiing standard and a route to BASI, then Inside Out is good first step . . . and trust me, they are NOT judgmental but very supportive.
ski holidays
46 too old....hell no! (I would say that)
Is your skiing good enough.....no idea.
I know little about the BASI system or your actual skiing standard.
If you want full on technical instruction go and do a clinic somewhere.
Little point in jumping through Instructor hoops unless you have to, as Dave of the Marmite said.
Looking at Inside Out levels, I would hope anyone wanting to become an instructor would have more experience and be a level 8 minimum.
There are probably other providers of courses in different places, look at many before choosing.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 13-05-15 23:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Well I started BASI at 44 and got my L1 and L2 here is some video of two of our clients who had a similar level of experience who went onto achieve Instructor qualifications.. defo possible go for it !!

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/info/success.html

and some video of other clients who were thinking about doing the L1 and then went on to doing it... http://www.insideoutskiing.com/uk/fasttrack.html#5
latest report
When I did BASI 3 (on the old grade scale - rough equivalent of BASI 2 now), back in 1975, there was a guy in his 60s on the course and doing pretty well (I can't recall if he passed, but probably did).

The second posting above - by ski - seems the best advice and is true to tradition. A BASI trainer will assess your (or anyone's) chances very rapidly.

When I did the BASI I'd been working for 4 months on Cairngorm as an unqualified instructor, which dealt with the fitness needs. Another thing that can obviously be very advantageous is some pre-BASI training, so one starts the course with a high level of confidence and skill.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@summerpudding, Don't forget the other qualification options such as Snowsport England which may be on offer locally. On your question, no - go for it.
ski holidays
Thank you all for your comments, really interesting.. amazing success stories!... It seems I need to get to a Level 7 first before I can even think about starting the BASI 1.. and get to Hemel Hampstead to be assessed first. I have only ever skied in Switzerland within group and private lessons. Which I'm hoping means I haven't developed any bad habits yet ?! Oh well lots more skiing weeks need to be booked, and some intensive lessons.. yay
ski holidays
@summerpudding, certainly not too old and I admire your ambition.

I'd note that this would involve considerable skiing to someone else's agenda, you would probably improve further and faster just doing a season with well planned instruction & coaching and as a marker of skiing ability, L2 isn't really so high up the bar. No offence intended to anyone.
snow conditions
@summerpudding, Do you have a dryslope nearby ? The best way to improve is repeated guided practice --- on plastic I would say race training will get you the best results.
latest report
@ski, plastic & race training certainly a very good plan!
snow report
Started the UK Snowsports Level 1 course last night - and I'm 56! Very Happy
ski holidays
LOTA wow! good luck

the nearest dry ski slope in Plymouth

Yes I would very much like to do a full season..
ski holidays
@summerpudding, You're defiantly not too old but if you are level five then maybe you will need to improve your personal performance first to get through it. Level 8 or even 9 might be more appropriate as a starting point, unless it was a long development course you were considering 10 weeks or so.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@summerpudding, certainly not too old and I admire your ambition. .

^+1. I passed my L1 on my 49th birthday last year, I started skiing in 2011 and had my first appropriate lesson in Oct 2013.
So no sweat re age, but BASI recommend minimum 16weeks skiing. I had appx 12wks but 100's of hours free skiing in the fridge (nurturing bad habits)

under a new name wrote:

L2 isn't really so high up the bar. No offence intended to anyone.

I'd agree that the Entry level for BASI L2 "Isn't really so high up the bar". However L2 is a "Mountain qualification" and enables the holder to work in various countries, L2's can spend as long as they wish (years usually) working on the ISIA L3 modules and accrue an enormous amount of experience.
An L3 ISIA Instructor was a L2 the day before he received his L3 licence. So there are various levels of Level 2
Pedantic maybe rolling eyes
snow conditions
@franzClammer, not pedantic at all. snowHead but if the OP doesn't want to be a teacher, then maybe a teaching qualifucation isn't the right benchmark?
snow conditions
@franzClammer, ha ha, not according to a recent poster here.
snow conditions
I'm 44 and it's my dream to be a ski instructor. I don't want to teach skiing. I just want to walk around bars in my ski instructor jacket and tell everyone I'm a ski instructor in case anyone hadn't noticed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy