Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking children out of school....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
CaravanSkier wrote:
And time off for ski exams?
I think not! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
foxtrotzulu wrote:
CaravanSkier wrote:
I think not! Very Happy

Shocked rolling eyes Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
foxtrotzulu wrote:
CaravanSkier wrote:
I think not! Very Happy

Shocked rolling eyes Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We still take our kids out of school (aged 8 and 5) for weeks at a time every year. This season a week before Christmas and 2 weeks before Easter, both so we could extend our ski time including the school holidays (not instead of!). The school are pretty supportive and our local council doesn't currently impose fines. We've done this every year since our 8 year old started school and she still gets glowing school reports and can ski pretty good too Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@uktrailmonster, is that a state school? Which LEA/Council? How do you arrange it with the school, do you get permission for each one or do you just send them an email/call?

Personally, I'm not sure I'd be taking mine out a lot. We can only take so much holiday a year anyway and we already ski two weeks per season plus they are bit older but I'd be interested to know how you do it in case we want to in the future.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My son's school had a school ski trip over half term this year which left on the Friday before. So anyone on the school trip missed classes on the Friday but obviously as it was a school trip that was all deemed fine.

My son didn't go on the school trip as it was far too expensive. Instead we went on a family skiing holiday returning on the Monday as flights were much cheaper then, which meant he missed school for a day (just like those on the school trip)

As you can probably guess his absence was not authorized and we received the standard reply about how 100% attendance is important and any absence could adversely affect a child's education etc etc! rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
@uktrailmonster, is that a state school? Which LEA/Council? How do you arrange it with the school, do you get permission for each one or do you just send them an email/call?

Personally, I'm not sure I'd be taking mine out a lot. We can only take so much holiday a year anyway and we already ski two weeks per season plus they are bit older but I'd be interested to know how you do it in case we want to in the future.

State school yes. I'm not disclosing the council just in case someone who works there happens to read this! But apparently they don't currently have anyone employed at the council to enforce fines for unauthorised school absence. We just write a letter to the school beforehand explaining that we are taking the kids out of school and our reasons why (basically we have a second holiday home in Canada and skiing is an important part of our family lifestyle - it's actually the only time we all spend quality together as a family). The school cannot legally authorise the absence, but they do appreciate the information and are generally quite supportive.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Move to Scotland.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
or Wales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44054574

A fixed £60 fine that may or may not be charged is a no-brainer when put up against the increased cost of a holiday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Penry,
Quote:

A fixed £60 fine that may or may not be charged is a no-brainer when put up against the increased cost of a holiday.

You're not wrong there Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Say nothing to anyone send them in to school on Tuesday morning but tell them its Monday.
We all make mistakes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, personally, for just one day, I'd say nothing in advance. Then I'd tell the school the reason for their absence was due to 'exhaustion' (or similar word) after a physically and mentally challenging, though ultimately uplifting and educational, holiday.

That might be a pragmatic approach to dealing with the bureaucracy and would almost certainly turn out to be true, so no lies involved. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PeakyB wrote:
@NickyJ, personally, for just one day, I'd say nothing in advance. Then I'd tell the school the reason for their absence was due to 'exhaustion' (or similar word) after a physically and mentally challenging, though ultimately uplifting and educational, holiday.

That might be a pragmatic approach to dealing with the bureaucracy and would almost certainly turn out to be true, so no lies involved. snowHead

As @NickyJ asked her question 3 years ago to the day I think the matter can be considered resolved wink Laughing Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
PeakyB wrote:

As @NickyJ asked her question 3 years ago to the day I think the matter can be considered resolved wink Laughing Very Happy

Yep - I put the application in, it was denied and she didn’t attend school that day. It caused her to miss one day out of the year (she wasn’t off sick at all that year) and it wasn’t reported to Hampshire Education authority and didn’t cause any issues with getting a place at secondary school or anything like that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy