Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking children out of school....

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

5k isnt going to get a great skiing holiday in half term

I never spent above 2k in Feb HT but that was driving , using Tesco vouchers for tunnel, Flaine apartment for 4 (but latterly used by 3 of us) and latterly three full area passes. Usually ate out once. Never bought lunch or drinks on the mountain. Otherwise S/c or takeaways and wine every evening. It was great enough for us.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have just done this for our two kids 9 and 6. We took them out for 5 days which equates to ten sessions, morning and afternoon.

We got a warning letter from the school and told not to have any other unauthorised absence for 12 months . . . Otherwise they would serve a penaly notice. A fair and reasonable approach I thought. I think each county council has their own guidelines . . Or just ask around at the playground . . That's where the real knowledge of what goes on is!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@billb, yes, I laughed at that suggestion that £5K would only buy you a fairly rubbish sort of holiday. Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yes, and I sincerely hope that our holiday will cost under £2500 (nevermind £5000), and that it will be great!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
@billb, yes, I laughed at that suggestion that £5K would only buy you a fairly rubbish sort of holiday. Laughing

Its the extra costs to put the bloody butler, driver and pa up that sends it sky rocketting Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
annaa wrote:
Oh yes, and I sincerely hope that our holiday will cost under £2500 (nevermind £5000), and that it will be great!
yes however you are travelling out on a Friday to achieve that.. Just like I am travelling back on the Monday afterwards to achieve my prices which are again a lots less that £2500 (massively helped by having a offer of free accommodation) But when I booked those flights just changing the date to the weekend meant flights were well over £3k for the four of us and that is before we start adding in transfer, airport parking, lift padded, girls lesson, ski hire, food....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, indeed. And in all seriousness yes you can reduce the overall costs by adjusting departure/arrival dates, self drive, self cater etc. But there will be fixed costs. Lift pass, kit hire (if needed).

Most folks would wince at the cost of my ski holidays but the simple fact is I get 2 full weeks off in a typical 12 months, I use 1 for the family ski holiday and 1 for the family summer holiday. I don't want to cook and clean i do that the other 50 weeks. I also want wherever possible spa facilities, ski in ski out. If you go with a TO in half term with 2 children (one who pays full price) you are going to pay more than £500pp
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
True - but it was more the idea that you couldn't have a 'great' holiday on less money. I guess it does come down to personal preferances, and whilst I would love to have the added extras of catering, ski in/out etc, affordability and my daughter's current fussiness regarding food make mean this isn't really an option. But my holiday isn't going to be any less 'great' because of this - it's got skiing afterall Very Happy and the only real thing that is going to affect how good our holiday is is the amount of snow, something I have absolutely no control over Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ansta1, Yes, agreed, a TO holiday costs a lot and if you can afford it and it works for you then great. The point is that some of us can't afford it (or need the cash for other things) but can still have a great holiday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@billb, @annaa, yes of course the great bit was slightly tongue in cheek in response to the plastic surgery statement. I've had plenty of great trips for much less and some not so great for quite a lot.

We don't have any term time flexibility as mrs a is a teacher so we are stuck with peak weeks whatever level of accommodation and ski area we choose so will always pay a premium.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That is fair enough @ansta1, I should have remembered that it was in response to that rather ridiculous scenario and as such should be taken with a pinch of salt. And judging by the webcams today, next week's skiing is going to be brilliant - so great holidays all round!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@annaa, Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Most folks would wince at the cost of my ski holidays but the simple fact is I get 2 full weeks off in a typical 12 months, I use 1 for the family ski holiday and 1 for the family summer holiday. I don't want to cook and clean i do that the other 50 weeks. I also want wherever possible spa facilities, ski in ski out. If you go with a TO in half term with 2 children (one who pays full price) you are going to pay more than £500pp

You're also a woman wink Cool Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you drive, the only part of a half-term holiday which costs more than any other week is the accommodation. Well, and ski lessons, but that difference isn't huge. The reason I wouldn't go downhill skiing at half term is the absurd crowds (looking at the Les Saisies website the queue for the main lift out of the bowl is silly, and the pistes look uncomfortably crowded by my usual standard. Crowds will be bigger next week, with Paris on holiday, even though there are very few half term Brits there).

My daughter and SiL are both teachers but they won't ski at half term (though they have free accommodation in my apartment) because they're so zonked after the teaching that they couldn't cope with the organisation of taking two littlies skiing, and dealing with the crowds, especially on piste. It takes them the week of half term to gear up for teaching the other half.

This year they're skiing twice - at Christmas and Easter. They're very keen. They'd take the kids out of school if they had that option.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I mentioned before (and got it in the neck 😳) that we've often taken children out and fibbed (aka lied) to the school about it to avoid even the chance of a fine. Interesting to see Nickyj actually did end up being fined and had her card marked to boot- sorry to see that!
Last week's More or Less programme mentioned earlier in posts is worth a listen as it shreds the logic behind saying as children who have a lot of time off school tend to do less well than those that don't, taking any time off is therefore going to as well, because poor social circumstance is a major compounding factor - basically both high absence rates and poor academic attainment are best predicted by poor social circumstance.
Funnily enough just yesterday as most of our children are on inset days or are free for the afternoon, we asked if we could spring the one who wasn't at lunchtime (given driving might be tricky with the forecast). We were told that wouldn't be possible, and it was a shame (😏) it wasn't for a dental appointment. My wife immediately "remembered" the dental appointment and all is good. Make of that what you will. 🙂
latest report
@Doccam, no I haven't been fined. Others have. My absence is below the threshold for being referred as it is one day.
latest report
Sorry thought it was you who posted. Glad to hear you weren't. Enjoy the week's skiing- that's the main thing!
snow report
I have yet to see any good reason for anyone to object to children being taken out of school for a week. There is simply no foundation at all to the criticism of parents who do so. It seems very strange to me that several people keep going on about what a bad thing it is to do - even though they cannot come up with any proven negative impact to anyone. And for sure I don't see anything that shows how it affects those who choose NOT to take their children out of school for a week. It is sanctimonious in the extreme to continue to criticise other parents when there is no rational foundation for your position.

For the record, I will be taking my children out of school for a week this year as I do every year. I don't have to explain or justify that decision to anyone here or elsewhere, and neither did the OP ask for comment on this point. If I am fined I will appeal and win, again. As a parent, and an adult in a democratic society, I have the right and responsibility to do what I think is best for my children so long as it does not negatively impact others. And any suggestion that slavishly following all rules and laws in all circumstances is a necessary function of a democracy just demonstrates a complete lack of understanding as well as a disconnect from reality. Every single person here has broken some law at some point - not least because lots of laws are patently daft and lots of people are ignorant of the laws that actually exist (e.g. it is illegal to sit an exam at Oxford unless you are wearing a sword - and I mean illegal not just against university regulations!).

There is actually a simple and effective legal way around this problem. Put your children in a ski school that is registered to provide outdoor eduction. Get a certificate that your children attended. This forms proof that your children were in eduction for the week, which also happens to be true, and that is all the law requires. Fight any suggestion that you were not responsibly education your children during that time.

The rest of you need to learn that HOW eduction is provided is up to parents and this is explicit in the law; you can choose the school you want, the school you choose does not have to follow any particular curriculum (and lots of private schools do choose to go their own way), home schooling is absolutely an option. And stop being so sanctimonious, just because you lack the imagination or means to exercise that choice does not mean you have the right to pass judgement on those who do. There is no way at all that you suffer if I take my kids out of school for a week so why on earth would you even have an opinion?
snow conditions
@zikomo, Very Happy
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:

There is actually a simple and effective legal way around this problem. Put your children in a ski school that is registered to provide outdoor eduction. Get a certificate that your children attended. This forms proof that your children were in eduction for the week, which also happens to be true, and that is all the law requires. Fight any suggestion that you were not responsibly education your children during that time.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing we're looking into for our kids when they get a bit older. At the resort we spend a fair bit of time in there is an actual school that is available to people who stay on the mountain for extended periods. They combine ski lessons with more formal education, which seems like the best of both worlds to me.
ski holidays
Though I have to say I am feeling a little bit cheated at this point. The reason I was keen to get a week in at half term was to enjoy some nice cold snow conditions rather the very hot Aprils I have been getting the last three seasons of being a good girl and going at easter.... The forecast for next week has freezing point at over 3000 even at night and highs of 18!
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
I have yet to see any good reason for anyone to object to children being taken out of school for a week. There is simply no foundation at all to the criticism of parents who do so. It seems very strange to me that several people keep going on about what a bad thing it is to do - even though they cannot come up with any proven negative impact to anyone. And for sure I don't see anything that shows how it affects those who choose NOT to take their children out of school for a week. It is sanctimonious in the extreme to continue to criticise other parents when there is no rational foundation for your position.

For the record, I will be taking my children out of school for a week this year as I do every year. I don't have to explain or justify that decision to anyone here or elsewhere, and neither did the OP ask for comment on this point. If I am fined I will appeal and win, again. As a parent, and an adult in a democratic society, I have the right and responsibility to do what I think is best for my children so long as it does not negatively impact others. And any suggestion that slavishly following all rules and laws in all circumstances is a necessary function of a democracy just demonstrates a complete lack of understanding as well as a disconnect from reality. Every single person here has broken some law at some point - not least because lots of laws are patently daft and lots of people are ignorant of the laws that actually exist (e.g. it is illegal to sit an exam at Oxford unless you are wearing a sword - and I mean illegal not just against university regulations!).

The rest of you need to learn that HOW eduction is provided is up to parents and this is explicit in the law; you can choose the school you want, the school you choose does not have to follow any particular curriculum (and lots of private schools do choose to go their own way), home schooling is absolutely an option. And stop being so sanctimonious, just because you lack the imagination or means to exercise that choice does not mean you have the right to pass judgement on those who do. There is no way at all that you suffer if I take my kids out of school for a week so why on earth would you even have an opinion?

I'll be doing exactly the same (again)
snow report
@zikomo,
Quote:

A few points:

1. I can't say I've noticed much/any criticism of parents who have taken their children out of school. In this discussion both sides have argued why it is a good thing or bad thing. That isn't the same as criticising the parents who do.
2. You ask for proof. Well there is plenty of evidence that even low level absence is a bad thing, but you are right that there is probably no specific evidence that shows that otherwise well behaved children with good attendance rates suffer any measurable damage from a week's skiing each year. However, the point is that it is almost impossible to measure. Who knows what that child would have achieved with / without the time off. You can't run it again to see. By the same token you cannot prove that there is no detriment either.
3. You say that you have the 'right and responsibility to do what is best' for your children. But that's clearly not true. Responsibility for children is shared between parents and the state. You cannot unilaterally decide to deny your child healthcare/education etc.
Quote:
There is no way at all that you suffer if I take my kids out of school for a week so why on earth would you even have an opinion?
Other than a small amount of class disruption I'm not sure any has suggested other people do suffer. It is clearly reasonable for everyone to have an opinion upon, for instance, how someone else's parent recieved poor care in the NHS. We are all allowed opinions on the NHS doctors contract, the Syrian war etc. As I said before, I don't think anyone has criticised individual parents who do take their children out. The argument has much more been about whether we feel the new guidelines and their enforcement is reasonable or not and I would hope that we can discuss those issues in an adult way without being patronising
Quote:
The rest of you need to learn that HOW eduction is provided is up to parents
and without being offensive
Quote:
And stop being so sanctimonious, just because you lack the imagination....
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, +1
latest report
@zikomo,
You raise some interesting points, I might be somewhat lax on my morals for school absenteeism but I can assure you I wouldn't dream of attending an exam in Oxford bereft of a sword nor would I condone any of my family behaving in such a manner.
snow conditions
Interesting thread & some great arguments for/against.

FWIW I don't know how some have achieved skiing holidays at half term for £2500 [lift passes are generally £200pp]

In 2011 the last time we used a TO [Crystal] my family 3 kids mum & dad went to the Diva, Val Claret, Tignes think the base price was £1100pp [kids discount laughable] then we had lift passes on top to pay for.

Fortunately the kids are capable skiers & I think we only hired skis for our youngest daughter, no lessons to endure or pay for.

Don't want to even think about the total cost Mad

This is the cost when you abide by the rules, it is what it is & I guess that we all make a choice - enough said!

The following year [2012] we rented an apartment right behind the Diva [£1100 for the week] and drove from Lancashire, loaded the car up with everything we could, took provisions to get us through including nice wine & Peronis. Booked a hotel en route & were in resort [think] for around 10.30am

The other 3 families all went with Crystal & paid their extortionate fees, you get what you pay for.

I actually created a spreadsheet & think we did the holiday for 5 of us for less than 1/2 price in 2011.

2013 we did the same again with another family & rented in Bec Rouge, Le Lac, Tignes similar costs.

Ditto 2014 Les Menuires.

I guess it comes down to the individual whether you pull your kids from school, whist personally I would have done the OH wasn't agreeable hence we paid the going rate
rolling eyes
latest report
Fundamentally this boils down to cost, wrapped up in other arguments around "it's good for them", "it's a life experience", "it's my and my kids life so I can do what I want". The reality is that there are plenty of times when you can go skiing with your kids and not flout the requirements/regulations. This is all about getting around the law of supply and demand which push prices up in half term (and other school holidays) and getting in at a time when it's cheaper by dodging the system. Clearly the odd exception but few and far between.

I doubt there is anybody genuinely arguing that they take their kids out of school as it's a better education to ski on empty slopes and pay less. Many tax payers get a bit brassed off with wasted money.

A better discussion point would be whether it is pure supply and and demand or whether there is organised profiteering.

Absence may or may not impact upon the child or other classmates' absence, but the simple fact is their is a requirement to be a school and well known consequences for not being there. Don't complain when the pre announced consequences present themselves.
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
Fundamentally this boils down to cost

For us it's the timing. Nothing to do with cost.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@uktrailmonster, one of the very few perhaps? Just to be clear, you don't have 4 or more consecutive days off in school holiday time December to May ?
snow conditions
@alti - dude, nail,head!

Everyone likes to highlight the edge case scenarios of families where both parents can't have time off together during the school holidays. We are such a family (apart from a couple of weeks in summer) and also have a school which would allow me to take the kids out, although we don't because we don't need to.

Even if both parents don't have seven consecutive days off in the school holidays, it's not necesarily an impediment to skiing in said holidays. None of our family ski holidays will involve a full week for all of us (my wife, me and the kids). Either my wife or I have to come back to the uk for work during all of them. I haven't noticed my children suffering from the absence of a complete 7days of contiguous holiday with both parents...

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 13-02-16 8:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
alti - dude wrote:
Fundamentally this boils down to cost

For us it's the timing. Nothing to do with cost.

For us it has everything to do with cost and I have never denied that. Taking them out for one day made it affordable.
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:

organised profiteering.

What the....?!
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
alti - dude wrote:

organised profiteering.

What the....?!
Indeed! At the very worst you could say it was disorganised profiteering, but actually it's nothing more or less than the free market operating exactly as it should.

i know quite a few Snowheads own and rent chalets. I'd be interested to know two things:
1. Do they retain the same pricing all year round?
2. Do they make obscene profits from renting out their chalet.

I imagine the answer to both of those questions is, on the whole, 'no'.
latest report
Admittedly having only read the last 2 pages I can see there is 2 separate discussions going on here, there is the camp that remove their children from school a day early to make the trip a bit more financially acceptable and then there are the parents who remove their children from school for a complete week to have their holiday. What interests me is the reasons for the later, is it work commitment driven or financially driven? It would also be interesting to know if the parents who remove their children for a complete week go on a second week during the half term.
As for being disruptive to others, while it may not disrupt the class it certainly is disruptive in home with children constantly asking " why can we take the week off and go skiing?"
ski holidays
@Jonny996, you may find it interesting to read my original post which basically was do I lie or fess up. Then this thread took on a life of its own (as snowheads often does).
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
miranda wrote:
alti - dude wrote:

organised profiteering.

What the....?!
Indeed! At the very worst you could say it was disorganised profiteering, but actually it's nothing more or less than the free market operating exactly as it should.

i know quite a few Snowheads own and rent chalets. I'd be interested to know two things:
1. Do they retain the same pricing all year round?
2. Do they make obscene profits from renting out their chalet.

I imagine the answer to both of those questions is, on the whole, 'no'.

OK, I'll bite. No to both questions. I need what I earn from the peak weeks to pay my bills, off-season weeks are a bonus that maintain the cash flow until the peak season bookings arrive.
snow conditions
@miranda, just prompting a debate as to whether the pricing basis that makes many lie/cheat/break regulations/come up with paper thin excuses as to why "they just have to take there kids out of school otherwise the world would end" is down to pure market forces or down to other forces.

@Hells Bells @foxtrotzulu, suspect private chalet owners are fairly sensible and I've seen reasonable but not obscene tick up in prices but the large TOs seem to sometimes show a really big tick up.

@NickyJ, As I've said before - down to your own morals on if you lie or not but the wider dimension is that 'the tax payer' has paid for a school place free at the point of delivery and you cant be bothered to use it. I personally have a real problem with the notion of assuming something that is free at the point of delivery is in fact free - it's not. Many people are losing jobs in the pubic sector to save money and there is a purge on waste - why should the public be allowed to waste money without challenge? I know you will argue things like 'we are paying the the teachers anyway' and 'it's only one person in a class of 30 so it doesn't matter' but that's because you are in the minority of people who take the attitude that it's OK so most stay in school. PS it's not always a cost point - often a 'get organised point'. I will be out and back on a convenient flight for about £140 per person return, inexpensive car hire as I got organised and booked early.
ski holidays
@alti - dude, er you realise that for one of my children is in an independent school don't you?
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@alti - dude, er you realise that for one of my children is in an independent school don't you?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

down to pure market forces or down to other forces

Puzzled most people would consider that optimizing profits is the driving force of markets.

It is very difficult to rent any decent property in the French alps in these peak weeks. There are loads of empty ones in, say, mid January even though prices are far lower.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy