Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2014-15 Whitedot Preachers 169 review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I thought I would post a review of the above skis from a less experienced skier's point of view. After reading other reviews this seems a little amateurish, but what the hell...

Got a week with my first set of skis, 169 Whitedot Preachers. Always hired skis and have never rode on anything other than piste carvers. Im a 5’ 5” and 70kg bloke, so the 169’s were recommended. First off, after clipping in I felt they looked huge and cumbersome, but as I warmed up on a few gentle runs the Preachers felt agile and seemed to want to go faster. Had a two hour lesson on that first day with a lot of new snow (it was emptying down) which seemed to be perfect for the wide tips which glided over any clumps which would have had me avoiding before. Being pushed hard by the instructor to keep up encouraged me to ski harder and I noticed the Preachers were easier to control the faster I went whilst feeling stable. They felt at home on tree lined runs as on the steeper open areas and had me thinking what I had been missing by hiring those mediocre piste skis.
In clear conditions on groomed piste they were easy to put on the edge and held firm even on hard and icy patches. The only time they felt precarious was on hard ice, which caught other skiers out as well. Even then rather than sweep my legs from underneath me, they gave support and stability and slid along until I caught snow again.
These skis are serious fun and definitely worth considering if you’re contemplating owning your first skis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Completely agree with your review. I have the 13/14 preachers and have to say they are an amazing ski. On piste they carve brilliantly well considering they aren't a piste ski. Off piste they are great, but in all conditions they need you to be confident and keep some speed. Three times I got into trouble with them were:

1) On either icy slopes (where lets be honest most skis/skiers can struggle)
2) On very steep wind blow/icy areas/gullies where short turns are needed. They short/jump turn brilliantly but I find with the sidecut being quite large, sometimes you don't get all of the edge pressure you need, but hell thats the trade off for the shorter on piste radius
3) If I was a little slow and the skis 'sank' because of the width and twin tip it was hard to get them to float again.

All of the above 3 points though are not a reflection on the ski, they are a reflection on having the right ski for the conditions! If its a piste, go for a piste ski, and with points 2&3 go for the Ranger.

On piste in crud though they are such a laugh and you really can blast and bounce your way through anything, such confidence givers. Certainly will remain top of my arsenal for a long time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy