Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
@Langerzug,

Anywhere close to lifts, for example Hinterweiss, Plattenhof, both are approx. £1100 for 4 nights on booking.com, any advice appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@neilkav, Don't stay in Warth, too tough to get there for such a short trip (only accessible via Germany in winter, and it ain't cheap either). Lech a lash and you can do it better imo. My advice is go via train from IBK to St Anton (if staying in St Anton) or Langen (if staying in Stuben), and book train via ÖBB website, look out for the 2 for 1 tickets.If you are wanting to stay in Stuben try Hotel Garni Alpin, but be aware Stuben is dead in the evening (apart from Willis Pilsstube).

St Anton doesn't have to be tough skiing, theres plenty to do on Rendl, Gampen and Galzig, plus you'll get better vfm re accommodation, plus you'll be able to ski on arrival/ departure days (depending on timings of flights) IBK only one hour away. Apres doesn't have to be mad noisy plenty of great options. If you want some ideas for hotels try Banyan, Angelika, Rundeck, M3, Pilquitron Lodge, Galzig Lodge, Haus Roman Falch.....all prices well within your budget from BB to 4*. Go b&b and try the many eateries, loads to go at. Enjoy it.... Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@neilkav, PS.....if you are hell-bent on Lech try Hotel Cresta in Oberlech, true slope side ski in/out and very nice place.

I just remembered, you are likely to be there for Fasching week, a very busy holiday week in Germany/ Bavaria, you may struggle to find short term accommodation unless you go high-end. It will likely be busy on the slopes too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@neilkav,
At 1100 euro both Hinterwies and Plattenhof are very good, luxurious choices. Both have ski-in position, with the Hotel Hinterwies also ski-out as it is right next to -yes- the Hinterwies lift, which connects to the main Schlegelkopf chair
Plattenhof is slightly downhill from Hinterwies, which means a steep but very short uphill walk in the morning. Alternatively a short walk down the road towards Almhof Schneider afterwhich you'll get to Schlegelkopf chair.
Hotel Hinterwies is in a very quiet position. 5 minutes walk to village

You might also want to try to search for a 7 day period (pref sat-sat) as many hotels have a 7 days minimum booking period as their default search setting. Have a look at what comes up, and then write a PM to available hotels to ask for a 4 day booking. As this is short term, many hotels should be willing to accept your request.
Also check the search function in www.lech.at
The following hotels in the same area came up in this search I did: Anemone, Antonius, Bellevue. All recommendable
Almost all hotels in Lech-village are close to lift or ski-in/out
Don't hesitate to come up with additional questions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29,

thanks for all the info, much appreciated!! Didn't know about the Fasching week, hmmm didn't bank on it being super busy, still pretty sure it will nothing like France in half term week Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, cheers will try the 7 day search.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Catholic Religious Festivals.

Fasching = Rio Carnival = New Orleans Mardi Gras

In UK yo will know the last day before the "quiet"/fasting day as Ash Wednesday as Pancake Tues"day" . In the USA as Fat Tuesday
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going to be in Innsbruck from the 7th and then St Anton from the 13th for a few weeks, if not longer, looking forward to more of the same from end of last season. I know it can change but looks like snow most of that week with 50cm forecast on the 14th.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been following this thread for awhile now, and I figured I'd ask a couple questions regarding my trip since the regulars seem so willing to provide helpful insight.

My brother and I plan to arrive to the St Anton area Sunday February 29th. We will be staying and skiing for ~4 days. This is a bit of a budget trip, so I am think I am going to book a bed and breakfast that I found in Stuben (rather than splurging to stay in St Anton or Lech).

1) It looks like I'll be able to access the main St Anton area with a couple connector lifts, can anyone confirm that a) these lifts are fairly reliable in terms of potential weather closures? b) that these lifts stay open long enough to use as commuter lifts towards the end of the day? I am choosing Stuben rather than further down the road because I am hoping it is more convenient, but if the logistics of the connecting lifts are tough, then Stuben might not be worth it.

2) My brother and I will need to hire a guide in order to enjoy the type of off piste skiing we want to do (We are quality American skiers, so we have the ability to ski the area, but definitely not the knowledge to do it safely). I've found a few sites (pistetopowder, all off piste, etc) that offer advanced booking with group rates, but those still come out for $125+ PP. I am wondering a) are there cheaper options readily available that I am just missing? b) if we wait to book until we arrive, does that help? Or is it likely that all the guides become booked? c) is there any forum where like skiers can join up and hire a private tour in order to cut down the cost?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
elecoq wrote:

so I am think I am going to book a bed and breakfast that I found in Stuben (rather than splurging to stay in St Anton or Lech).

1) It looks like I'll be able to access the main St Anton area with a couple connector lifts, can anyone confirm that a) these lifts are fairly reliable in terms of potential weather closures? b) that these lifts stay open long enough to use as commuter lifts towards the end of the day? I am choosing Stuben rather than further down the road because I am hoping it is more convenient, but if the logistics of the connecting lifts are tough, then Stuben might not be worth it.

2) My brother and I will need to hire a guide I am wondering a) are there cheaper options readily available that I am just missing? b) if we wait to book until we arrive, does that help? Or is it likely that all the guides become booked? c) is there any forum where like skiers can join up and hire a private tour in order to cut down the cost?

1. Stuben is good starting point. No problem at all.
2. Regarding guides, if you will stay in Stuben you should look to guides from Stuben. You will not able to come to St.Anton at 8.30-8.45 (it is typical starting time for guiding groups).
Check this sites
http://www.schischulestuben.com/en/
http://www.arlbergalpin.at/start/index.html
http://www.skiaktiv.com/

PS. And now is snowing in Lech
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the Arlberg region (that's the accurate name for the "St.Anton area" wink ) it is tradition also for advanced skiers to go with the skischool to go off-piste. Just state that this is what you are looking for. You will find that the average skiing-level in the Arlberg area is quite high.
Staying in tiny Stuben will mean you will not be able to experience the famous St.Anton apres-ski. Should you like to enjoy this, while staying within budget, villages like St.Jacob, Pettneu and Flirsch with skibus-connection to St.Anton would be better options.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@elecoq,

Connection: Yes, two chairs take you up to a col from where it's a nice red run down to Alpe Rauz (always well groomed, and north facing so generally in very good condition but will be cold first thing!). The top lift lift can close in high winds; it's not common, but it does happen but you can still ski to Rauz from the top of the first lift (in fact I'd advise that anyway if you are in a hurry). If both the lifts close and other areas are open you can get a bus up to Alpe Rauz (or indeed Lech), but to be honest if the lower lift is closed very little else will be open except perhaps nursery slopes and the Fangbahn in St Anton and some lower lifts in Lech and maybe Zuers.

Guiding: There is a guiding outfit based in Stuben: http://www.arlbergalpin.at/ they do a "freeride day" every Monday, Wednesday and Friday which is basically an off piste group for €80 pp. Very good value, much cheaper than hiring a private guide. I've never used them, I keep meaning to. I'd be interested in any feedback if you do go with them Happy

@Langerzug, aprés in Stuben is OK - the Post terrace is busy and good fun on a sunny day. The Berghaus is also good right after skiing. Willis Pilsstub'l also good fun a bit later on. It's not the same as the Moos or KK (IMHO that's a good thing), but Stuben is a nice place to stay for a few days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, so Fasching week it is then Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Looking forward to Lech...

No choice on dates for us Sunday to Thursday next week, so if its busy then so be it, we will be in a beautiful place in the mountains Very Happy

I think I've got a very good deal,
Hotel/Pension Kristall, looks pretty central and got 5 star reviews everywhere, £580 B&B for 4 nights for 2 people - most of the hotels are £1100+

http://www.tiscover.com/at/xlayout/portal/accommodation/56726at,en/objectId,ACC124036at,selectedEntry,facil/facil.html

Now looking at weather forecast with even greater vigour lol, could be snow, snow, snow, hope there's plenty of sheltered runs in Lech!!

Does anyone think we will have any problems driving from Innsbruck at approx. 630 pm arriving Lech approx. 8-8.30 pm, with just snow tyres?

Thanks again for all your advice
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kristall is in a very nice location.
Not ski-in-out though, but close to the main lifts.
Snowtyres is not enough. When it is snowing, chains might very well be necessary, if not obligatory. E.g: Chains were obligatory last weekend.
You're crossing two passes (Arlberg and Flexen) to get to Lech, in the snowiest corner of The Alps! You might in fact need chains to get from the Dorfstrasse in Lech to the slightly higher street were Kristall is.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug,

Thanks for the advice, we will arrange chains from the car hire.
latest report
Echo above, you have to do both the Flexen and Arlberg passes, if it's snowing you'll need chains. IMHO, better to have them and not need them rather than being stuck...
snow report
@neilkav,
Be sure to make dinnerreservations asap. Getting a table in Lech without a reservation can be a nuisance. (Came to think of it because I'm in the process of planning our week , from 5 March Toofy Grin )
Some good and fairpriced suggestions:
Hus8, Cafe Fritz, Tannbergerhof (slightly more pricey), Omesberg, Schneggarei

Without reservation Ambrosius and Don Enzo (Italian) are good options. But it is gonna be a busy week, so....
For a splurge: Gasthof Post or Wunderkammer in Almhof Schneider.
snow report
elecoq wrote:

My brother and I plan to arrive to the St Anton area Sunday February 29th. We will be staying and skiing for ~4 days.

2) My brother and I will need to hire a guide in order to enjoy the type of off piste skiing we want to do (We are quality American skiers, so we have the ability to ski the area, but definitely not the knowledge to do it safely). I've found a few sites (pistetopowder, all off piste, etc) that offer advanced booking with group rates, but those still come out for $125+ PP. I am wondering a) are there cheaper options readily available that I am just missing? b) if we wait to book until we arrive, does that help? Or is it likely that all the guides become booked? c) is there any forum where like skiers can join up and hire a private tour in order to cut down the cost?

Thanks in advance.

The top guides at the st anton ski school are a great option, no need to book in advance, just turn up and they fit you in a group, but you need to be at the main st anton galzig lift by 9am, once they know your ability they will put you into the top group - from what I can recall was about 180euro for 3 days but then any additional days after that only 30 euro/day.
I'll be around when you are there, if there is a big dump at the time, then I'd go for that option.
snow report
Windskisurf wrote:

The top guides at the st anton ski school are a great option, no need to book in advance, just turn up and they fit you in a group, but you need to be at the main st anton galzig lift by 9am, once they know your ability they will put you into the top group - from what I can recall was about 180euro for 3 days but then any additional days after that only 30 euro/day.
I'll be around when you are there, if there is a big dump at the time, then I'd go for that option.

Do you really get to be guided into decent offpiste terrain in top group lessons. There is quite an arbitrage in rates between regular skischule & powderclub even if it's technically the same people. I know the time (4hrs v all day) is a factor but it seems like they'd be undermining their premium offering.
snow conditions
Ski school arlberg next to base camp do 9.30 to 3.30 advanced lessons with potential off piste for 80euro a day or powder club which is off piste focused and 9 to 4 with avi kit provided and varying levels from intro to expert, 118 euro.

I've been looking into it this week.
ski holidays
I meant powder club I think. No lessons.
snow report
For anybody interested in watching the 6 nations if they're out here on holiday, quite a few bars showing it. Nasserein end of town you have Tom Dooley's with it on a big screen, then moving towards the town centre, Murrmel, Cuba and Scotty's show it. Not sure about Horny Bull, Kandahar used to show it, don't know now it's new management. Places tend to get busy, especially for the big game, and often end up being one in, one out.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@neilkav,
Be sure to make dinnerreservations asap. Getting a table in Lech without a reservation can be a nuisance. (Came to think of it because I'm in the process of planning our week , from 5 March Toofy Grin )
Some good and fairpriced suggestions:
Hus8, Cafe Fritz, Tannbergerhof (slightly more pricey), Omesberg, Schneggarei

Without reservation Ambrosius and Don Enzo (Italian) are good options. But it is gonna be a busy week, so....
For a splurge: Gasthof Post or Wunderkammer in Almhof Schneider.

Thanks that's good advice too, will get on to them and book - cheers.
snow conditions
POWday folks

ski holidays
Great snow today with vis still struggling but better than yesterday. Found some good powder through the mini trees and under the lifts on gampen, Mattun, Zimmeroos, oest and some 2m accumalations around ski route 2a.

Valluga shut today. Seen the heli out a few times and few serious injuries last 2 days.
ski holidays
Also worth adding lots of snow cannons on today around gampen and galzig. Making use of that rain earlier in the week.
ski holidays
Zimmeroos😂
ski holidays
Galzig finally 2 metre.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, does anyone know if the Nasserein Toboggan run has been open in the evenings recently?
snow report
It was last week, but closed Tuesday night due to lack of snow following the warm weather/rain. I believe it was also closed yesterday evening due to the weather, but given the snow we've had recently, it should open up again.
snow report
Weather Feb2-8th

http://uvp.videoservice.apa.at/embed/53078d38-b599-4fec-9f84-3fc3eed54149
snow report
@Markymark29, a room sized gondola that bounces up the slopes on two legs. wink
latest report
@Kelskii, an antipodean one Laughing Laughing
latest report
Saturday.. get up early & take advantage of the best day of the week to slide.
snow report
Widespread Avalanche incidents in the Tirol/Voralberg yesterday.

Many people took their last/final turns.

Careful out there Level 3 is a Skullie Skullie
snow report
Weather for this week

We will remain in a very changeable westerly weather current, which will result in extensions of an Atlantic disturbance, crossing our regions in quick succession. The wind will repeatedly turn north-westward and increasingly bring colder air masses to our regions. On Tuesday, however, a stormy southerly foehn wind is expected, before a heavy cold front will reach us on Tuesday night. On Wednesday, our regions will be located behind this front in a weak north-westerly accumulation, which will still result in some snow showers. Thursday promises a short period of improved conditions. More varying conditions are forecast from Friday on. Further Atlantic fronts will approach, thus a return of milder air masses is probably not expected.
snow report
Some info on Last Friday Morning's Avalanche in Lech (Rauhekopfscharte)

Touring Group .

A 39yr old Guide & Three Ski Tourers were swept away (out of a group of 5) . One of the group A 33yr old was buried under a metre of snow but was located with the avi detector. Suffering from Hyperthemia & an Eye injury.

http://www.vol.at/vier-skitourengeher-aus-lawine-geborgen/4615817
ski holidays
The snow above mid-mountain is surprisingly good given the temperatures. Good skiing around Lech and Zurs yesterday until gale-force winds closed many of the lifts.

In St Anton, Bachsite is possibly the pick. The Eisfall is a bit of fun, albeit short. Anything below Gampen is goop by lunchtime.
ski holidays
09:30. Temperature already rising on Galzig. Just below freezing as I type.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, sounds great up high....enjoy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy