Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
Hazy high clouds but generally another sunny mild day +3.5C up on Galzig , warm downtown maybe +5-6C

Snow expected Sunday above 1500M probably heavy sleet/rain in Town.

Middle of next week winter should return with very cold nights again & some snow (dust) expected.

Avalanche risk is still widespread & trecherous level 3 & to 4 on some variants
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Woke up to the expected rain in Lech this morning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Folks. It rained allnight . About +4C right now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Folks. It rained allnight . About +4C right now.

Do you know how high up it rained? +4 in town, so the snow line is likely ~1700-1800m? Hopefully.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sah, looking at the colour of trees and how much more rock has been exposed here, I'd guess more like to 2000m in Montafon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sah, Raining quite away up to Galzig temperture did not really go much at all below zero lastnight.

Heavy Snowfall now forecast for Sunday during the early hours then moderate throughtout the day but the snow freeze level will rise during the Sunday from town (1300M) to about 2000M Sun/Mon night.

Probably get around 20cms (min) in town Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blue Sky today big change tomorrow.

Weather & Snow Report

Tomorrow Sunday promises a massive change in weather. A strong warm front will result in cloudy and wet weather conditions in the daytime. Winter will withdraw to regions above a level of 1500 meters and even to a level of 2000 meters by Monday morning. Monday will bring rapidly improved conditions. Spring-like mild temperatures are forecast. Also Tuesday promises mild conditions once again. The inflow of high warm air masses will be marked by harmless, high cirrostratus clouds. On Wednesday night, winter will return. The snow line will sink to the base of the valleys and the temperatures will significantly decrease particularly in the mountains.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bring it on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
World Cup Syncro tonight.

http://www.intersport-arlberg.com/en/news/1797/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes weather looking good for St Anton
http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/

World Cup Syncro from last year.

http://youtube.com/v/E0gCmRCBPLk
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Watched the Syncro ski when it was on a couple of seasons ago, didn't have a clue what it was when we went, just fancied having a look to see what it was about. Took a run or two for us to work out how it worked, but enjoyed watching it and some nice skiing on show. Probably heading over there this evening.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 31-01-16 9:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, are you trying to tell us St Anton is moist ?
http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=Luftfeuchte&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, looks more like 25cm fresh than 60cm but still not bad.

http://www.vorarlberg.at/lawinenmessstellen/messstelle.asp?ort=zuers
ski holidays
Sorry for earlier miss info. 25cms new in Zurs overnight. Currently sleet/snow to Seekopf
latest report
Any info on roads into resort with this fresh snow?
snow report
Looks like a great weeks snowfall expected in Warth too....!
ski holidays
No, it's not, I'm sorry. Today snow will turn into rain quickly, and tonight it will rain up to 2000m, all night long
This week is gonna be extremely mild, with freezing level up to 3600 m.
Colder and some snow on wednesday and thursday
Towards the weekend: strong föhn.
So no, it is not gonna be a good week.
ski holidays
It is when you're not out there for another 3 weeks, it's building up the snow base.
snow report
I was there last week, back yesterday. They had a lot of snow just prior to our arrival. Conditions were excellent but very warm form lunchtime onwards after Wednesday when it was 6c-9c. Snow was understandably disappearing fast. Mixed bag forecast when we left changing from a lot of rain forecast to 50cm new snow due there today into tomorrow.
snow conditions
Lift faffer wrote:
Any info on roads into resort with this fresh snow?

It would take truly epic snow to close the roads in to the resort, like Feb '99 (year of the Galtur tragedy), with the current weather the roads are more at risk from flooding than closure due to snow Sad
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
It is when you're not out there for another 3 weeks, it's building up the snow base.

I hope that's true but I'm hearing horror stories of snowpacks disappearing completely further East in Tyrol and Bavaria. Hopefully St Anton is high enough and has enough base to last through the warm spell, but it's looking shocking at the moment.
snow report
Was p'ing down in resort earlier, plenty of skiers coming off the mountain soaked through. Snow looked wet and heavy and the avy risk is up to 4 on slopes higher up (above 2000m iirc)
ski holidays
Lots of Arlberg aggregate falling today. Keeping lines super meadow pootley down the side. Some auto sluffing going on. Superb elephant snot Mooser downwards bodes well for total carnage in the Mullered Downhill. Just about floated over a treewell below the Glazig. socking in deep n wet.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Enjoy it! Take a look to the sides of Schindler to Rauz piste (initially on right then cross over to left), was very nice 7 days ago and todays top up will have freshened it up nicely.
snow conditions
sah wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

I hope that's true but I'm hearing horror stories of snowpacks disappearing completely further East in Tyrol and Bavaria. Hopefully St Anton is high enough and has enough base to last through the warm spell, but it's looking shocking at the moment.

I was skiing around Innsbruck today, and it's not all that bad. Still snowing heavily (both in terms of amount and quality) down to about 1000m by the time I left. I think it's stopped raining/snowing now, so less of an issue if/when the temps rise. A good 20cms of dense snow at the base of Axamer Lizum since last night.
snow conditions
@sah,
It is not true that it take snow like in 1999 to close the roads.
In fact it happens at least once every winter. But not this winter up til now. It is not about the snow blocking the roads, but it is the avalanche danger causing it to happen.
They are improving the roads with tunnels and avalanche galleries almost every year, so bad-weather accesibility is improving permanently. This year the track between Stuben and Alpe Rauz has been completely changed and improved.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, agreed mate, no panic😜
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@sah,
It is not true that it take snow like in 1999 to close the roads.
In fact it happens at least once every winter. But not this winter up til now. It is not about the snow blocking the roads, but it is the avalanche danger causing it to happen.
They are improving the roads with tunnels and avalanche galleries almost every year, so bad-weather accesibility is improving permanently. This year the track between Stuben and Alpe Rauz has been completely changed and improved.

Ah, true yes, at least for the road to Zuers yes, not the case for St Anton usually.

The Flexen pass and (less often) the Arlberg pass can close, as you say the Flexen pass is exposed to avalanche danger, but I understood the question to be regarding St Anton (I could be wrong about that). Even in Feb 99 I think St Anton was still accessible from Innsbruck and via the tunnel but I think side roads to St Jakob were closed.

EDIT: Turns out it was cut off in 99, not just St Jakob.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 31-01-16 20:19; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
sah wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

I was skiing around Innsbruck today, and it's not all that bad. Still snowing heavily (both in terms of amount and quality) down to about 1000m by the time I left. I think it's stopped raining/snowing now, so less of an issue if/when the temps rise. A good 20cms of dense snow at the base of Axamer Lizum since last night.

Good to hear!
ski holidays
@sah, in Feb 99 we were in St Anton and were cut off in town for days. Lifts were closed. Apart from the baby lift at Nasserein obv! So they bulldozed a huge pile of snow across the road by the Shell station and nobody could get in or out for about 4-5 days, the Pass was closed also. We managed to get out after a few days and took out snow chains off near St Jakob.....watched a documentary about Galtur a few months later and it also came down in St Anton and jumped the Rosanna and crossed the road including the place we took our chains off 10 minutes before. (It's where you can see there's very small trees to this day).
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@sah, in Feb 99 we were in St Anton and were cut off in town for days. Lifts were closed. Apart from the baby lift at Nasserein obv! So they bulldozed a huge pile of snow across the road by the Shell station and nobody could get in or out for about 4-5 days, the Pass was closed also. We managed to get out after a few days and took out snow chains off near St Jakob.....watched a documentary about Galtur a few months later and it also came down in St Anton and jumped the Rosanna and crossed the road including the place we took our chains off 10 minutes before. (It's where you can see there's very small trees to this day).

Wow, so the town was cut off completely in 99. Not even access to the tunnel?
ski holidays
@sah, completely cut off, no access in or out even to the tunnel. Most hotels were down to tinned fruit for breakfast, seriously! Verwall was closed too due to AV risk so you couldn't even go for a proper walk....skiing was not possible, plenty of Stiegl though strangely enough😜
snow report
Resort was cut off for a time 2011/12 I think it was. Was a mad panic to get our chalet guests on the coach and out before they shut the road. Pass closed, tunnel closed (avy risk at St Jakob end), trains unable to get through due to avy risk and snow volume.
snow report
@sah,
True, it takes a lot to completely cut off St.Anton.
By the way the first in the area to close is not the Flexenpass, but the stretch Alpe Rauz-St.Christoph.
Even the stretch St.Christoph-St.Anton is closed rarely
That's the Arlberg effect, the snow falls "Vor-Arlberg" Toofy Grin

In 1999 we were supposed to go to Lech the week after the Galtür disaster. But then my mother decided she did not dare to go, so we cancelled everything (without any costs, very elegantly arranged by the Lech Tourism bureau).
Although we could have gone to Lech, as the roads were open again.
We ended up in Skiwelt that week. You can imagine.....Valluga was 2818 instead of 2811 meters then: 700 cm of snow!
ski holidays
Sitting in a bar in Ishgl watching rain at village level.

Got very windy at 3pm today so we came in. However the day was an almost perfect powder day to that point - snow topping up constantly, big fluffy bumps and light, lovely pow.

Don't believe all the pessimists, folks!

Although Avalanche risk is pretty bad. EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE AARGH!

wink
latest report
Quote:

EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE

True. The trick is to put it off as long as possible.
ski holidays
Snow is fluffy and light whilst the freezing-level is about 2000 m?
A real connaisseur?
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Snow is fluffy and light whilst the freezing-level is about 2000 m?
A real connaisseur?

All snow is fluffy and light if your skis are fat enough wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy