Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2015/2016 ( May 4th 20cm Snow overnight)

Poster: A snowHead
@clarky999, +1 for the Pass, great to get over there (if its not snowing) and check out snow conditions rather than going via the tunnel. If it was me I'd park in Rauz carpark and be straight up Stuben but if need to stop off and rent skis then agreed if after decent pow gear then you need to be in Alber or Jennewein in town I guess. Seems an awful waste of ski time though faffing about in a hire shop if the surfs up though eh? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for all the replies, they are really helpful, just what I needed. Our original plan was to stop at Sonnenkopf (we did that last year on a similar trip and had a great afternoon) but I didn't think there was anywhere to hire there. As there is, I think we will go with this plan; the hire skis are for two 18 year old lads who are less fussy and they'll have a chance to try them out for the afternoon, and sort out any issues then. (Otherwise they'll just have to suck it up - we won't be going back). If we do decide to keep going to st Anton, we're staying close to the Nasserein lift, am I right that there is a hire shop there?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Several hire shops in the vicinity of the Nasserinbahn, Alber is right underneath it, Jennewein next door, one Intersport across the road and another one behind hotel Arlmont.

And again, another vote for taking the pass, unless the weather is utterly Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Talking of hiring skis, have the shops published prices yet and has the cartel actually stopped?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rachelb,

I would chillout. Be time you rented the car driven to the Arlberg, checked in, rented gear it will be mid afternoon.
Border checks have been tightened.

Relax & start sliding the following day. .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/F1eSOqoD9-4
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
English starts at 52secs

http://youtube.com/v/TRDqGaxGZak

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 23-11-15 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/TQYQns8jYTo
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah wrote:
Talking of hiring skis, have the shops published prices yet and has the cartel actually stopped?

Dunno about the cartel but I've just pre-booked 3 x adult Black/Gold skis from the Alpineresorts site. Cost was £96 per set.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 24-11-15 12:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rachelb wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, they are really helpful, just what I needed. Our original plan was to stop at Sonnenkopf (we did that last year on a similar trip and had a great afternoon) but I didn't think there was anywhere to hire there.

Why not?
Sport Milanovic is just opposite bottom station at Sonnenkopf.
Very reasonable price compare with St.Anton
http://www.milanovic.at/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is this thread about cheap skirental at Sonnenkopf, or is it the Arlberg Snow report 15/16?

@stanton, Thanks for the (web)pic: The new Ubungshang in Zürs is up and running. And part of the new Flexenbahn/Trittkopfbahn (to be finalised in summer 2016) is clearly in sight!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug,

Folks ask all kind if things here.

Trittkopf - Rauz - Albona is happening.

Rendl- Kappl is happening.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
English starts at 52secs

http://youtube.com/v/TRDqGaxGZak

Does 'Richtig Kalt' mean 'Right cold'?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, : Rendl-Kappl is still not yet happening, I think.

@cameronphillips2000, : "richtig kalt" is more like "really cold"
ski holidays
@Langerzug, or truly cold.

Nice and sunny here today, but temperatures still low and cannons going. Couple of places opening over the weekend, Galzig Bistro and Murrmel for example. Kandahar is no more, it's now "The Horny Bull".
ski holidays

Folks we could be getting 0.5M of snow higher up over the next two dyas

Bad news is , next week it is warming up +C temps
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/KcEBBFqjyKo
snow report
KK opening party Dec 4th

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krazy-Kanguruh-St-Anton-am-Arlberg/90701019721?fref=ts

ApresSkiHits Party at Mooserwirt Dec 4th

http://www.mooserwirt.at/de/apres-ski-hits.html

Folks almost time to start another 5 months of Schnitzels Very Happy Very Happy

snow report
Quote:

Bad news is , next week it is warming up +C temps

not enough to melt the base, shirley?
snow conditions
@Dr John, no. Just enough to stabilize it. Before next snow
ski holidays
@peanuthead, Hurrah.
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:

Let's hope so. Thin base + cold weather is not good (sets up weak layers), so getting slightly warmer just before more snow might not be a bad thing.
ski holidays
sah wrote:
peanuthead wrote:

Let's hope so. Thin base + cold weather is not good (sets up weak layers), so getting slightly warmer just before more snow might not be a bad thing.

I recall about 4 years ago or so, the Alps started out with a bang, and then it was followed by some moderate temps, then very cold and dry for awhile. That resulted in lots of hoar frosts, and a nasty weak layer in the snow. Lead to some serious avalanche issues, with slides going to the ground layer. Hope that doesn't occur this season. Will keep an eye on the temps. Still not set on week before Christmas destination yet. Would like to maybe do Ischgl this year. Or, I could just as well stay home in the USA, and ski Tahoe, or Colorado. The whole West Coast is shaping up nicely with another storm hitting this week, and possibly another next week. Nice to have options...
snow report
@Toadman, weak layers was last year, this year shaping up very nicely
snow report
The Snow Cannons are on that was definitly not the case this time last year !!
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Toadman, weak layers was last year, this year shaping up very nicely

Yes, was in Lech last year when avy took out a group on the Valuga. But I was in Zermatt, I think it was 4 years prior, and they had several avalanches on North facing slopes of all things that had slid to ground. In any event, fingers are crossed for some nice snow wherever I decide to pull the trigger. Going to hold off another week or so before I have to make a final decision. Mrs. Toadman wants to try someplace new this time around, so we shall see. Did see some offerings in Ischgl that were tempting for Christmas week.
latest report
Stability all depends on what happens from here, but actually this could be a very good scenario.

I'm glad there was no early snow that sat for a while rotting out on the north facing slopes as in some past years. We have a good snow fall and cold arrive, with hopefully another good snow fall to follow. The deeper the pack = the better. Fingers crossed that winter starts and keeps rolling from here with nice periodic snowfall.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Toadman, early season is always dodgy, thin snow pack = high temp gradients so depth hoare, cold dark December/January means surface hoare. Nasty stuff. Then a nice fresh dump of deep powder on top of that, so tempting after waiting all summer. A deadly combination of conditions and human factors.
latest report

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 9-12-15 12:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
ski holidays
Take a look at Warth webcams, awesome early snow Laughing Laughing
latest report
kleinwalsertal also looking very tasty Happy
snow report
Does anyone have access to base depth data for previous seasons? I am curious how this season ccompares, realizing full well that it is still very early? I was surprised to see Lech reporting 60 cms on the mountain today.

Also, big thanks to STANTON for posting all this data. I look at it daily... Very Happy
ski holidays
@johnfmh, there are a few rough stats around the internet -E.g. this site has some data: https://www.sno.co.uk/ski/austria/st-anton/snow-history/

I wouldn't read too much into very early season readings, a single storm can dump a lot of snow and then the Fohn can wipe it out in a few hours. The best way to judge conditions is to see what @stanton is saying Happy

If you want a lot of real data and can read German then the Tirol government site is excellent, there's tons of data in there if you can find it. https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/en/home/overview/ A lot of info is translated, and when the season starts the daily avalanche bulletin (which is translated to Engligh by about 7:30am each day) will give you a good idea of the snow and weather situation as it develops. Their blog (only in German) is worth a look, even if you don't read German you can see the charts for snow depths etc.
snow conditions
Only data you need to look at is the webcams IMO, when those larches get covered off side of Kandahar on Gampen webcam we know we're in business. Toofy Grin

Other big indicator currently for me is the amount of FB stuff I'm getting copied into from local pals who live in town, they're really fired up about the current snow conditions with more to come this weekend. They're already touring about and hiking up Galzig from St C etc for first tracks, loads of pre-season opening parties for this weekend in town, with lifts opening weekend next weekend. Its going to be hard concentrating on work for the 2.5 weeks after lifts open...... Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Only data you need to look at is the webcams

Even better when all you can see is white Happy

Are you out there soon? I'm pondering a quick pre-Xmas trip if the snow keep up.
ski holidays
@sah, Nice one, we'll be skiing 23rd pm if you're still about? Kim Wilde at next weekends opener, now that's a weekend worth going to eh? it'll be a Mohito-fest next weekend if you can get out there, wish I could.

Was only being tongue-in-cheek btw re "only date you need...." comment, that was just about now, its too early IMO to start looking at snow depth stats etc, in resort I always check the Lawienenreport thing first thing, and speak to the locals whenever possible, those guys know stuff!
latest report
Only data I need is to look out my bedroom window NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
@Sitter, nice rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy