Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Info re: Morzine please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are a family of 4 - 2 adults, 2 children aged 10 and 9 who have skiied twice before in Borovets, Bulgaria (which we loved but feel we need a new experience). My husband has picked everything up very quickly and has skiied red slopes well. I am another story and still struggle to stop!! No problem with speed but find it hard to keep control! The kids are both much better than me and need to now build confidence.

We are off to MORZINE with a group of friends and staying at the Chalet Sherpa with Jolly Good Alpine Adventures Feb 11th - 18th - half term.

Kids have daily lessons pre-booked with The British Ski School and I'm booked in for alternate day improver/confidence builder lessons!!

With all this in mind we would like some advice on which would be the best ski pass for us. Keep to a local Morzine one or go for an all singing all dancing Portes Soliel one? Advice would be appreciated.

Any general information about the resort, ski passes, accommodation, apres ski activities, ski runs, lift queues etc really would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ellie Razz
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ellie, Welcome to snowHead , I suggest you may get a load of diverging views on this one.

Firstly I would have thought that for a week the Pleney /Les Gets area pass would be more than sufficient for all - with the exception of those who feel a need to travel as far as they are able to just for the sake of it.

As you undoubtedly know Morzine forms one of the PdS' less easy links. The town has to be crossed (either on foot or by petit train) to access the Pleney/Les Gets or Super Morzine/Avoriaz areas. This is not a big deal.

The governing factors may not be your skill levels ( both sides of the area will suit all the abilities stated) but where the chalet is situated ( vis-a-vis the lift systems) and whether you have a car ( to access the PdS extended area via Ardent).

In the absence of that info I would suggest going for the local pass and extending it based upon need when you get there - perhaps fpr a day, although I would suggest that Pleney /Les Gets will keep you more than happy for a week.

The worst lift queues you are likely to experience will be the telecabine up to Pleney ... just don't start skiing at 0930-1000 like everyone else ! To mention ALL the ski runs would be impossible although La Chamossiere ( Pleney - Les Gets ) is a personal favourite . Not sure how Bulgarian 'Reds' compare with PdS 'reds' though.

Whatever - you will enjoy the area , it's reputation is deserved.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll second what eEvans said above, but with one proviso... check with the ski school(s) you are booked with to see what they recommend.
I learnt with BASS (Les Gets side) and all lessons were in and around the Pleney/Chavannes area. Only on the last day (no lessons) did we venture over to Ardent/Avoriaz.
I've always had a full PdS pass, so I don't know how far the Pleney one will let you go (one reason to check with ski-school and/or chalet owner). I would hope that it covers the entire LesGets/Morzine domain, as there are some good confidence building blues and reds on the Les Gets side, which is readily accessible in both directions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks you 2 for your replies.

We have been told by the Chalet that they will organise ski passes and hire when we get there. The kids are skiing each morning so we will have time to explore a little in the mornings but most of our general skiing will be in the afternoon. Apparently the Chalet provide a guide so we will need to talk when we get there.

Not entirely sure where the chalet is located so I will speak to the company now to find out.

Any more info greatly appreciated.

Very excited now!

Ellie Razz
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
deleting duplicate posting!!

Ellie Razz

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 6-01-06 0:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deleting triplicate posting rolling eyes

Ellie Razz

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-01-06 0:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ellie, I wouldn't expect the chalet owners to be particularly objective on the subject of ski passes as they are probably on commission wink Nice to know you are so excited , it looks like you need to sat everything more than once wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't wait to go... only 4 more days Smile (assuming the boss doesn't cancel my vacation at the last minute).
There's certainly a lot to explore, and having a guide is good, as they can show you the best eateries and watering holes too. (NB There was another thread recently about that, admittedly for Les Gets, but it's the same ski domain - will need to do a search)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's the other thread that may or may not be of use, depending on (i) how far you explore from the Morzine side, and (ii) our complete inability to remember the exact names/spellings of various mountainside restaurants, despite having used them regularly...
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11346
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you do a search you'll see Morzine is a big favourite of mine. I would concur with the advice above; get a Pleney/Les Gets pass and as and when you feel the need extend it and get whole Pds, your fella might enjoy a 'safari' up at Avoriaz on a sunny day it can be quite surreal up there maybe due to there not being many trees on top. i found easiest way up to Avoriaz was huge James Bond cable car up from Prodains, free bus takes you there.

I had a brush up lesson with BASS couple of years ago and found it very useful.

I like Morzine so much because it is a 'living town' if that makes sense with a proper infrastructure and year round residents.

The two restaurants that people head towards are l'etale and another which has something to do with Zorro in the name just off main square in front of Tourist office. They cook steak (read still wriggling sides of beef) and pizzas infront of you, got a good buzz. Bar choice is fairly limited to the Buddha bar (small but good music 30 something crowd), cavern disco next door and Dixy Bar live Irish music open fire and footy. there is a nightclub called opera but I've never been in there.

I used Felix ski hire last two times , felix is a good bloke who used to race a bit I think. If snow cover is good and you work out your route home you can ski to his back door, he has a small drag lift out back to get you a bit of altitude in the morning so you can shus down to the Pleney lift, so no lugging skis at all.

Never had a bad meal on the mountainside, there is a fancy cosy place under the Nyon side, can't remember its name, food is tremendous but its very small and I can't get my legs under the tables. Everywhere else is fine tho and I've never felt ripped off.

Having said that Guiness on draught is an expensive pursuit everywhere in Moz.

I'm gonna miss Morzine this year.

One other thought, 'Jolly good alpine adventures' ???? don't forget your hockey stick and hairband. Ya?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
double post soz.

feel free to remove this one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ellie,
I would check exactly where and when childrens lessons are as you may not have time to explore significantly further afield if you are picking the children up midday in Les Gets.

PS The Les Gets/ Morzine area should be plenty at your level if the snow is good if it is poor you may wish to get to Avoriaz for better snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for the information much appreciated - I'll pass the details on to the rest of the group. No quite sure how my post came up in triplicate - not quite that excited yet!

As for the Jolly Alpine .... already known as Jolly Hockeysticks at our place!!

Ellie Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy