Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My 2014/15 season

Poster: A snowHead
After a smattering of early snow in October, but nothing too much to curse the season

it all seemed to start so well and right on time with a big dump in the second half of November

but within a week it was all gone as a foehn ripped through the alps

Christmas was pretty thin, about 30cm of snow with no base at 2000 meters, I even got my snowshoes out, a good walk ruined

finally on the 29th enough snow to ski again on the fields up behind the house

and enough to open the local resort

but still very thin everywhere below 2000m by early Jan

and worse by the 15th

and worser with torrential rain

but the rain turned to snow and finally kick started the season

by the second half of Jan conditions were good even at mid mountain levels

with some powder fields

even the forest were skiable by the 28th

early Feb and the snow depths looked close to normal

a nice descent of the Pic de Pin west couloir, a highlight of the season

but mixed conditions a few days later due to the mild weather

but some excellent OP in our local resort

and another great day's skiing on the 25th through the woods

by March temperatures were warming up again and the snow could be variable

almost a last blast of winter in early April

careful missus, rocks are lurking just under the surface

ski resorts were empty at the end of the season

the season was perhaps 2 to 3 weeks early than normal

fresh snow on the 28th promised much but turned out to be a bit of a damp squib even if it did allow skiing down to 1650 meters for a day or two

To sum up, a short season, principally mid January to early April, without travelling miles to go skiing. Some days of epic snow, some very good skiing but also a lot of indifferent snow due to the mild winter. The base always lacked a bit and the missing snow was really felt from April when things warmed up. Conditions were a bit unstable, particularly near the Italian frontier but some unusual avalanches closer to home.

Not sure I'm going to ski again this season, more torrential rain this week at altitude.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-05-15 11:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the 300 photos I bothered taking here (some days I didn't bother)

https://plus.google.com/photos/108050148319086293733/albums/6073061901548881169

difficult to motivate ski partners this year, everyone depressed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great pictorial record. Thanks for posting!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, fascinating. And great photos. Thank you. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, thanks, always enjoy you trip posts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Really interesting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
To sum up, a short season, principally mid January to early April, without travelling miles to go skiing. Some days of epic snow, some very good skiing but also a lot of indifferent snow due to the mild winter. The base always lacked a bit and the missing snow was really felt from April when things warmed up. Conditions were a bit unstable, particularly near the Italian frontier..........

Very similar to my experiences, though I did do a few road trips and did have some superb days, especially in Valle Maira.

When we did get the snow, it was very dangerous, and unfortunately that did curtail many of our regular routes, and we did tend to stick to the trees and not venture forth into any questionable terrain.

I think this year it was the number of very experienced skiers in our area that were caught in fatal incidents that really focused the mind, and everyone was very nervous.

What we really missed out on in Serre Che this year was the heavy snow falls that fell at lower altitude, some in very close proximity to us only 25km away in the Queyras and Vai Lattea, which was very frustrating.

We only had one substantial snow fall the whole season (the infamous Dec 29) and then we only managed 35cm, rest of the snow fell in 5-10cm dribbles.

Luckily we had the early snow fall back end of November at altitude.

What that basically meant was that many of the runs down to the valley were extremely limited and as most of those involve tree runs you need need substantial cover. And that also resulted in no cross country skiing - think I only went out once and I was hoping to get into skating style.

The lack of snow later on in the season also meant many of the favoured South facing spring touring routes were non starters, unless you were prepared for a long Scottish hike (and Chapeau to them) Cool

That said just looked back at my Strava and would seem that I put skins on and hiked at various levels of vertical for nigh on forty days!

All my photos tend to be in the Serre thread in snow reports but this is one of my favs when I toured up to the Galibier in superb winter powder with les chiens.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, maybe Serre lacked a few epic days but thanks to the better early season snow had a higher batting average than we had (I'm basing this on your thread). Val d'Isere also seemed to have a lot of excellent conditions but on average it is 700 meters higher than round here.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great thread I commend u
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well it seems the winter wasn't completely dead. On Thursday a storm blew in leaving 20-40cm of fresh snow on the Belledonne so we made an insufficiently early start on the summit of the Belle Etoile.

The north facing bowls keep their snow until mid June in a normal season with the snowline resisting around the 1700 meter mark.

We were actually able to skin from the trail head at 1450 meters on about 10cm of fresh snow.

The 1300 meters of climb were pretty tough on a loose, unconsolidated "graupel" like snow on an icy base but the scenery was glorius

more like the first snows of autumn

objective du jour in view, the radio relay at the summit

we were already contemplating a descent in perfect powder on a firm base but then hubris comes before nemesis (if only in the greek dictionary) and we were caught by cloud just below the summit

with a steep climb for the last few meters on snow over ice, crampons essential

although the cloud sea was spectacular it rather put the mockers on the descent

transforming the snow into heavy powder and we only exited the pea-souper at 2200 meters, 600 meters of descent following our climbing trail

in the valley it was rotten weather

but we were able to ski back down to 1600 meters, about 15 minutes of walking to the car, which isn't bad.

A "character building day" as my buddy Luke put it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Enjoyable reports and pics davidof - but give us a clue on what area of France they relate to... Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First photo, Couloir NSA, Roche Noire, les 7 Laux. Classic relatively steep off piste on the first snows of winter so lots of rocks not far from the surface. This was the 19th November and the snow completely melted in the week following.

Next two photos les 7 Laux and Alpe d'Huez in mid December (12th I think)

Then 23rd December, Cime de la Jasse, Belledonne range

I cycled to the snowline then snowshoed to the summit, not enough snow below 2000m to ski.

29th December, the Mure des Molles (wall of the softies) in the Belledonne, classic sledging terrain

and enough snow to open our local resort, St Hilaire du Touvet, Chartreuse, and its extensive off piste

even if there was a bit of grass showing

Then the Aulp du Seuil on the 8th Jan, again I cycled up from home to the snowline and snowshoed, about 20cm of snow at 2000m

dry!

The Oratory, 15th Jan, Charmant Som, Chartreuse, Nordic skis, okayish on the road

The rain soaked shot is le Grand Revard, Bauges on the 16th. Fortunately the rain finally turned to snow overnight and got the season going, just about.

Happy Campers on the 18th Jan

but care still needed in the backcountry

the guy with the dog was on the 21st Jan, there had been a bit more snow, this time we were on the Chamechaud in the Chartreuse

then a couple of days later fresh powder on the Cime de la Jasse in the Belledonne

Hell Yes!

still not much snow depth but some decent accumulations in the valleys.

25th Jan, St Hilaire, Chartreuse, things could still be a bit rock 'n' roll off piste

but it was starting to look like winter by the end of the month, here in the Chartreuse, vallon du Seuil

last day of Jan, high avalanche risk so nice and safe in the fields of the Belledonne, here the Pierre Roubet chalet near Barioz

Will detail the rest later.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers! Very Happy
ski holidays
Cheers! Very Happy
ski holidays
Nice pics!
And the days are getting shorter!
ski holidays
I feel a bit in awe watching @davidof 's pictures of his off piste adventures and admire them hugely.

I just don't have the ability/bravery/desire to go off piste and enjoy skiing on the pistes but completely appreciate others who have the expertise to master and enjoy the full spectrum of the mountain environment.

I guess the upside is though that the weather is a bit less important. For me the pistes were in reasonable condition at the beginning of december and were good for the 4 or 5 times through the season out till the end of April. However, I think when looking off the pistes early on, there was no way, you could see people venturing outside the prepared pistes. So I guess your experience of what is reasonable weather does vary hugely depending on the sort of skiing you enjoy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy