Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden pre-Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All!

Just wondering if any one can give me some advice as to what skiing in Solden is like pre-Christmas?

In the past, if we are skiing at Christmas or per-Christmas, we have been to Obergurgl. For a number of reasons this year, we can only do a long weekend (17-22 Dec) pre-Christmas. Unfortnately, have tried a number of hotels at Obergurgl but none of them will let us book a long weekend pre-Christmas. I think it's because it's the changeover weekend for Christmas.

It looks like Solden have a lot more choices of hotels and some have a vailability for the weekend we want to go.

However, I am worried about 2 things:

1) Snow - whenever we have driven past Solden, it didn't look like there was much snow. Although I am aware there is a Glacier, would prefer to ski back rather than download on gondola.

2) read on Tripadvisor some comments that there are many Russians partying at night and some people don't like it. We are a family and don't really need nightlife and a bit worried that hotels can be very noisy at night. I need my sleep when I go skiing.

Would be grateful for any comments for both Snow and general atmosphere.

Thank you very much in advance.

:D
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied in Sölden pre-Christmas many times and have never had to rely solely on the glaciers (there are 2 glacier skiing areas - the Rettenbach, the harder and more extensive of the 2, and the Tiefenbach, easier and quieter). I have always used either personal contacts or Booking.com to find accommodation. I'm most definitely not a party animal, so a quiet hotel or pension is a high priority for me and I've never had any problems finding suitable accommodation for my needs.

I've never encountered any wild noisy partying Russians to be honest at any time of the season. Drunken parties of Dutch, Scandies, Brits and Germans yes, but these seem to be restricted to a few bars along the main drag between the Giggijoch and Gaislachkogl lift systems and then only to a few bars. There are a couple of dubious "lap-dancing" bars but nothing too seedy from what I've seen.

As for snow down to the village, there are not that many routes right down to the town (a blue down to the Gaislachkogl valley station, a red to somewhere near the post office and a black down to theGiggijoch valley station), so most people download from either the Giggijoch plateau or from the Gaislachkogl mid-station. Sometimes, if the glacier road is still open that far, there is a shuttle bus from the Toll booth area (Mautstelle) in the Rettenbachtal. If you want doorstep skiing then try to get accommodation at Hochsölden, but I suspect you will get the same answer as from Obergurg as they are mostly 4 and 5 star hotels. I've also had to dig my car out several times, but the roads were always quickly cleared as per most Austrian ski resorts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
generally speaking Sölden has not much snow down in the village during all the Winter.
However until 2.000 the snow conditions are usually excellent from 10th December and later...and the majority of the slopes are over 2.000m altittude
I usually visit Sölden in December (before Christmas) and never had a problem of riding till Hochsölden...
sometimes the slopes down to the village were in a little bad condition but you could take the gondola to avoid this if you want....

As regards as Russians ??? never noticed anything special...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spent Christmas week 2014 in Soelden and the skiing above 1800/2000m was good and they really went all out to ensure that they were able to open the valley runs - both to the Giggijoch and the Gaislachkogel base station throughout the week.

Also don't forget that the ski area also includes two Glaciers - just for peace of mind! snowHead

As for the partying - there are a some Apres-ski bars and also some clubs (which we didn't really frequent but stayed pretty close to) and it wasn't really an issue for us at all (good double glasing wink ) I'd say it's not even on 20% of Camden Town on an average Friday night!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you very much everyone for your comments. It's great to hear that snow condition in December should be good. Very useful to know about the different runs and gondolas etc.

Sounds like it should be ok as long as we pick a hotel away from the main bars, especially the lap dancing bars (not keen for teenage son to experience that just yet!)

Thanks again for all the tips and advice. More homework now on hotels.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The three I know of are all fairly close together, so either at one end or the other of town or over the river. The Regina by the Gaislackogl is really nice as are the Grauer Bär, Alphof and Viktoria. The Tirolerhof, Tirol and Central are all fairly close to at least 2 of the ones I know of. However there is a strict age limit, if he is under 18 he probably won't get in anyway! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed here for B&B http://www.oetztal.com/accommodation-list-winter?do=info&id=2630

Its set back from the main road ,so very peaceful and the best part only 100m from the Gaislachkoglbahn Ski lift.I had one of the rooms that been renovated but a few were dated but that was 2 years ago so i guess they've all been done now ??

About 5-10 minute walk towards the town there was a Pizzeria which also sold many other dishes and we ate in there every night or you can stay in the irish bar 2 doors along and they bring the pizzas to you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy