Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski buying help

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy my first set of skis for to use when i get onto the snow next season.

Recently called into my local ski shop for some advice, and was happy with what help i got from it, but was looking for more opinions.

I am 6'6" and 18 stone. I was told to look for skis that are 180-190cm for them to be roughly the correct size for me. I was told that the correct size to aim for for underfoot width would be between 90-100, but not to go over 100.

I am just looking for an all mountain ski, but mainly on-piste, not so much for powder.

I have found these salomon Q98s (@ 188cm) , which i'm sure what was suggested to me by the man in the shop. http://www.backcountryuk.com/salomon-q98-34233-p.asp

But they do seem very cheap from this site compared to edge & wax (if they had them in 188cm) http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/1159402/products/salomon_q98_2015_mens_skis.aspx?currency=GBP&gclid=CI_K08iEqcUCFQkcwwodlAgA-A

But are they the same ski??

Also looked at rossignol soul 7s http://www.ekosport.co.uk/rossignol-soul-7-15-p-1-21808.html?gclid=CO2WvpGGqcUCFUfkwgodvXkAHA that are also 188cm, but says they are 108mm on width underfoot, and more expensive.

My price range is between £300-£400 including buying bindings - and they're the next step. Dont really want to be spending any more than that.

If anybody has any suggestions/opinions/experiences with these skis, please share. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Salomons are the same ski. But I am worried about a few things:

You're a fairly big guy (1.98 and 112 kg's if I calculated correctly): Both the Salomons and the Soul 7's are very lightweight not at all stable skis (my experiece and I am not as big as you are). I think you want a bit more edge grip and stability for on-piste performance. I think you should have a look at Völkl Kendo, Blizzrd Brahma, or - if you want light weight - Nordica Nrgy 90 in 185.

Just my opinion, of course.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Cheizz, i have had a quick look at the skis that you suggested, but seem to be out of my price range (from what i've found) , also cant find suitable lengths. When you say not stable, do you mean they flap a lot or??

Urgot, do you mean site* ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are these the nordicas you meant ? http://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/nordica/nrgy_80_evo_n_adv_p_r_evo_wb_90mm_military_green_black-75439-75437-75523.html?utm_source=googleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=flux&rt76=29-872&emkfid=EMF-12929621782-k--55622303662--s&gclid=COmisPHMqsUCFajHtAodUjEAGg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Nordica you mentioned is the 80 - a narrower, softer model than the one I suggested.

What I mean with instability and lack of grip is that when you want a soft snow oriented ski, they might do the trick, although at your size I think you'd need more float (i.e. wider ski). They just don't shine on hard snow. And if that's where you'll be, I'd go for something more grippy. I don't think the guys in the shop that advized you have actually skied any of the skis they recommend. Try and find a stiff, demanding ski (in reviews you'll often find those terms used for skis that will hold a guy your size).

If budget is you main concern, try German web shops.

Here are some examples:
http://www.snow-how.de/blizzard_brahma_2015-31-1-7-3031.html#options
https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/k2-amp-80-xti-14-15::43116_1_1136.html
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-x-drive-8.8-fs-blk-ora-15-+-dynastar-px-12-wide-blk-volc-09-p-xgqsz2nv.html

You can also try xspo.de or sport-conrad.com

The point is: try and find skis that fit you, not your wallet. If you buy a set for 400 pounds but you hate them... that's a big waste of money.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Especially the Salomon X-drive 8.8 FS is a great ski for a big skier, great on-piste. Here's a great review: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-salomon-x-drive-8-8-fs
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at Line Prophet 98's pretty big and heavy and good on piste too. You say 1st skis, have you skied for long? Skis that wide aren't that easy to get on edge, may inhibit you improving?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thankyou very much Cheizz, i shall have a look tonight.

Claude B, tbh i havn't been skiing in about 6 years. Reason i am looking to get my own skis is because i am a bit weary that wherever i go skiing next season, i do not want to put my bets on them having skis suitable for me and my boots to fit. Boots are 376mm in length. I would rather have a set to use, that i know are suited. Also why i dont want to spend too much
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't work out how to post links on this iPad but go have a look at the Fischer Ranger 96 that are on sale at Edge and Wax for £350. I'm a bit lighter than you and I really like my Fischer Watea 88 skis. The Rangers are this year's Wateas and the 96 is slightly wider than the 88 so should give you enough float in the off piste and plenty stability on the piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love the Wateas and the Rangers too, have some myself. But I'm only 1.82 and 83 kg and I find them a bit too soft for on-piste performance. For a bigger guy I wouldn't recommend them. I think there are better skis for this specific skier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah just found the rangers on edge and wax, looks a great ski. Decent price too. How heavy are you if you dont mind me asking?

Anything else i should know about the skis?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are there any specific skis that you can reccomend, that you know off the top of your head?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 83 kg, that's about 185 lbs.

Models I already mentioned: Salomon X-drive 8.8, Nordica Nrgy 90, Blizzard Brahma, Völkl Kendo, K2 AMP Rictor 82 XTI, K2 AMP 80 TI, the 'old' Blizzard Magnum8.0 TI

I think you need the longest length they make in any ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have looked for most of them. Either i havn't been able to find them, they havn't had the correct length, or out of my price range. I do want to order from uk too, saves on shipping costs.

Yes struggling to find skis at the higher end lengths
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tell a lie, i have found more of the ones you stated above, after a little harder searching. Thanks for the help. Will be back tomorrow
ski holidays
What about the K2 Amp Rictor 90 XTi inc Griffon Bindings? 184cm.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K2-Ski-AMP-Rictor-90-XTi-m-Bindung-Marker-Griffon-13-MODELL-2014-2015-NEU-/361051795043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&var=&hash=item54105d2e63
27 euro p&p on top.

Within budget, pretty stiff ski, great on piste and pretty good off of it too. Can be used for touring too.
That's a German webstore where skis are nearly always cheaper there is a UK listing within budget too.
latest report
I aree that the Rictor 90 is a great ski, but I think that if you stay on-piste for 90% of the time, there are other models that have better hard snow capabilities. The Rictor 90 has fairly deep rocker and is not as grippy or direct as its narrowe brother the Rictor 82.
latest report
mattchamp wrote:
Yes struggling to find skis at the higher end lengths

You may have trouble getting the full range at this time of the year (the off season). Might be better to wait until autumn. Get on their email lists as they send out discount codes and special offers.

In your situation you are going to have to take a bit of a punt.

I am 6'4" and 13.5 stone and bought these for the record
snow conditions
@mattchamp, I'm 6'3 and about 15 1/2 stone. On our last trip spent the week on Atomic Nomad Blackeye TI's (181 / 81 underfoot). They were excellent, all mountain but mostly on piste.
Loved them so much I went out and bought a pair!

Got them from here at a great price - free postage and excellent service too.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/38005
snow report
@jellemr what type of skiing do you enjoy? I ask because I found the Blackeyes to be OK on only the very short turns. On steeper slopes, harder snow, higher speeds or longer turns they didn't give me confidence at all. First I though it was the tune, but when I got another pair from an other shop, I still had that feeling.
snow report
@Cheizz, I found them excellent on most stuff on piste to be honest.
snow report
Hm, maybe I skied two really bad pairs then.
snow conditions
@mattchamp, being 187cm and 110kg my experience would suggest some 184cm Dynastar Cham 97s I've had mine for two and a half seasons and they work great everywhere.

If you are open to something a little wider I'd say to look at the Scott Punishers, I ride the 190 Scrapper as my powder skis and they are the same construction just a wider version and they've been great fun this season.

Nick
latest report
Yep, Chams would work. Don't know about their performance on-piste though. I think they'll be OK, but for a (mainly) groomer skier there might be better options.
ski holidays
They're built like a wider race ski and ski like it on piste, they're plenty stable straight lining at 120kph and held up to some airborne carving while hammering the sarenne last winter Laughing
latest report
All excellent with the feedback guys, so thanks for that ! @springbok45 http://www.ekosport.co.uk/dynastar-cham-97-15-+-dynastar-px-12-wide-blk-volc-09-p-M00011196.html?gclid=CIadsIjgrcUCFWvKtAodiRMA2w am i right in saying that these were the ones you have suggested? I was looking at these a few days ago, great looking ski. What about the width? Would these be ideal for me? Also you are close to same body sizes as me, so its good to have feedback off someone with similarities.

@Cheizz did you point these ones out to me ? http://www.ekosport.co.uk/k2-amp-80-xti+mxc12-tc-15-p-1-29678.html?gclid=CPvS_63jrcUCFbMatAodwjwA5w
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-x-drive-8.8-fs-blk-ora-15-+-dynastar-px-12-wide-blk-volc-09-p-xgqsz2nv.html
ski holidays
mattchamp wrote:
All excellent with the feedback guys, so thanks for that ! @springbok45 http://www.ekosport.co.uk/dynastar-cham-97-15-+-dynastar-px-12-wide-blk-volc-09-p-M00011196.html?gclid=CIadsIjgrcUCFWvKtAodiRMA2w am i right in saying that these were the ones you have suggested? I was looking at these a few days ago, great looking ski. What about the width? Would these be ideal for me? Also you are close to same body sizes as me, so its good to have feedback off someone with similarities.

Yes they're the ones. Glad to help.
snow conditions
Quote:

Yes they're the ones. Glad to help.

How about the waist width of them? Should i go for something narrower, or do you find these a perfect ski?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The waist width is fine, it took a couple of runs when I first got them, but since then I find them easier to ride and more stable than narrower skis as they more match my footprint.
latest report
springbok45 wrote:
The waist width is fine, it took a couple of runs when I first got them, but since then I find them easier to ride and more stable than narrower skis as they more match my footprint.

Are there any other skis you can recommend that you have had great experiences with?
ski holidays
Also could someone suggest me bindings? IF i were to get these Dynastar Cham's http://www.ekosport.co.uk/dynastar-cham-97-15-+-dynastar-px-12-wide-blk-volc-09-p-M00011196.html?gclid=CIadsIjgrcUCFWvKtAodiRMA2w they come with DYNASTAR PX 12 WIDE BLK/VOLC 09 bindings, which i wasnt sure if they would be suitable for me. So i was looking at others. Maybe MARKER SQUIRE 11?

Looked at the DIN calculator online, and the setting for my height and weight is 8. Are these things right, and should i trust this calculation? What max DIN setting should i look for on bindings. I am 198cm & 115kg
snow conditions
I think the PX12 is a great binding. I'd say you would have DIN 8 now and perhaps up to 10 later.

It's a good binding, it's a good deal too.
ski holidays
Cheizz wrote:
I think the PX12 is a great binding. I'd say you would have DIN 8 now and perhaps up to 10 later.

It's a good binding, it's a good deal too.

Ok thanks !

I am torn now between getting either the Dynastar cham 97's OR Salomon x-drive 8.8s. I know they are 10mm difference in width. Is this something i should really focus onto now?
latest report
Try and tet them. That's the only sedible thing to say.

Without testing them, one could only say that the Dynastars are much more off-piste oriented than the Salomons. I suspect the Salomons have better on-piste, hard snow capabilities (i.e. stability, edge grip), but that the Dynastars win in the versatillity department.
snow conditions
Went to another local ski store yesterday to have a look around, and spoke to a bloke there, who highly recommended these Head Rev 85 Pro's -
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/1176696/products/head_rev_85_pro_2015_mens_skis_with_bindings.aspx?currency=GBP&gclid=CPW6vKuYt8UCFSQewwodwVUAGQ

He spoke very highly of these ski's, and couldn't have vouched for them more, speaking of his great experiences with them. They seemed an excellent ski, great specs, very sturdy, stiff. I have done quite a bit of browsing, reading reviews etc. and they seem fantastic. For looking to ski 70% piste, i was thinking these would be perfect for me. Then again, its either i go for these or the salomon x-drive 8.8s.

What you think??
snow conditions
I didn't like them - they felt a bit dead to me: no rebounnds whatsoever. But a lot of people like them. Again: testing is the only way to know for sure.
snow report
Yeah really wish i could test them, but how would i do it, i do not know
snow conditions
What I have done a few times now, is sign up for a test event. Here in Holland, there are some in October on indoor slopes. But there are options in the Alps as well... Been to Sölden and once to Kaprun testing skis for a long weekend in November. Afterwards bought chea skis online for a bargain (about 80% of the skis are technically the same as the previous year).

That's my strategy. But it takes an extra ski trip and some patience.
latest report
Cheizz wrote:
I think the PX12 is a great binding......

I wouldn't describe a binding that has a heel unit that develops excessive lateral slop with little use & has a history of cracked heel base plates as "great".
snow report
@mattchamp, well, if you can wait until October, at the Snowhead's Ski Test. Here's a link to last year's event, which was great, with loads of skis to test (and Snowheads to chat to):
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112473
This year it's on Saturday 10th October. Not sure where you are based but last year there was another event up at one of the Northern Snow Domes, might have been Tamworth?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 11-05-15 7:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy