Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just about to book accom in Morillon 1100 for New Year week. A couple of questions...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fist of all, is there any reason why we should not do this??? I have been a bit spooked by last years lack of snow. I know you can never be snow sure in these lower resorts at any time of year but historically was last year unusual?

Secondly, we have found accom with a Sunday change over actually on the piste which is perfect for us and removes the need to start travelling on Christmas day. However we would like the kids to go into ski school (they are beginners). How does this work with a Sunday changeover?

And finally (for now!), what ski schools run out of Morillon? I can only find ESF. Is that the only one? Are they good? I see that zigzag run from a nearby resort, it that reachable maybe for a lunchtime lesson? I struggle leaving my kids at the best of times, the thought of leaving them on the side of a mountain with someone they don't even know fills me with horror! Wink - they will be aged 9 and 7.

ANY other tips you have for us would be wonderful! We have never booked this far in advance and it is our first trip with kids. I just don't want to make any horrible mistakes.

Thank you! x
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@breeze11, I would not worry about the snow for that week. I think the only drawback will be potentially crowded slopes in certain areas of the Grand Massif - eg. the runs between Tete de Saix and Flaine and back. Hopefully it would not get that crowded in Morillon itself. The bonus of doing Sunday to Sunday will be that you will be guaranteed at least one quiet day at the end and that you will not be travelling when everyone else is. If you are tied to New Year week most resorts will be busy so I would go ahead with Morillon.

If you are staying in Morillon 1100 I would only look at ski schools based there. If your kids are going to miss the first day, maybe take them to a snowdome for a few sessions so they have mastered the basics and can catch up with the rest of the group when they start on the Monday. We haven't used that particular ESF but have used the one in neighbouring Les Carroz which was good. We have always booked group morning lessons as our kids like the company of other children and we prefer morning lessons. If you book private lessons they will be at lunch time or afternoon which I would find less convenient. I would have no hesitation in leaving 9 and 7 yr olds with an instructor - but then I dropped my daughter off to ski school on her third birthday! Laughing And she loved it! snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 3-05-15 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't answer all of your questions, but may be able to cover some.

Even last year, there was PLENTY of snow by 27th December, so you will probably be fine. And Morillon has the longest green run in Europe - the Marvel at 5km, so ideal for beginners.

Zigzag out of Samoens are very good, in our experience. The best way to get to Samoens is to go down in the bubble from Morillon 1100, then take the free bus for about 5 minutes to Samoens, then up the Samoens bubble. The only issue is how often the buses run during the day, there are plenty first thing and last thing, but not many in the middle. If you have a car it's an easy drive down to Samoens.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main 4 man chair out of morillon, sairon, is really very very queue prone when its busy, and new year will be busy.

In 20 years of going to GM, we have only have 2 really bad early season weeks, last year and 2006/7. More often its been very good / superb and occasionally opened early.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The main 4 man chair out of morillon, sairon, is really very very queue prone when its busy, and new year will be busy.

are you tied to New Year, @breeze11? It will be rammed. Last year after Christmas had very poor snow there was that famous "snowmageddon" on the changeover Saturday between Christmas and new Year. Caused complete and utter chaos but greatly improved the pistes. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[/quote]
Last year after Christmas had very poor snow there was that famous "snowmageddon" on the changeover Saturday between Christmas and new Year. Caused complete and utter chaos but greatly improved the pistes. wink[/quote]

and meant new year week was actually reasonably quiet! as lots cancelled due to the duff Christmas week or didn't even get there. Our underground carpark was only half full.

But.......... Morillon is not that good a choice when its busy, as sairon is queue prone, and Lanche to get to rest of GM is dreadful as well. (its a slow 3 man, and once you are at the queue for it you have to queue there is no going anywhere else,............ nice views from it !)

If you want to use zigzag, go to samoens and stay there? or Christmas week is much quieter? or even Easter which is early next year?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

once you are at the queue for it you have to queue there is no going anywhere else,............ nice views from it !

Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If Zig Zag are based in Samoens and you want to use them I'd book accommodation in Samoens. I think it would be too much hassle to take the bubble down from Morillon a bus and then the Samoens gondola - the latter has a reputation for queues in peak weeks.

There is a good beginners area at Samoens 1600 but it would not be that easy for beginners to ski from Samoens to Morillon for lovely gentle runs like the Marvel. Therefore I'd just stick with the ESF in Morillon to be near your accommodation and the easiest terrain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have been to Morillon at Feb half term and although busier than last year in Jan was doable. Love the Marvel. We stayed up at 1100 and the Sherpa there was very well stocked. Love the Marvel a proper green run where beginners can practise their turns as it is not just a narrow track. I agree it is scary to book after last years poor early snowfall, the snow this year was not as good as previous year but the piste bashers do a great job keeping the runs open lots of snow cannons ( not the Marvel though) higher up is usually fine. Have used ESF in Morillon and had no complaints at all. It's always a bit of a gamble to book ahead but sometimes to get the accommodation that you want in the resort that you want , you have to take the chance. I am sure you will have a fantastic holiday there, it is a lovely area to ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
do it, you'll love it. how bad can the queue's get for such a small resort?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

how bad can the queue's get for such a small resort?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's a myth that you can avoid queues by going to a small resort. Somewhere like the Espace Killy, if you know your way around, can be easier because there are fewer single lift bottlenecks. Les Saisies/Espace Diamant is smaller than Morillon/Grand Massif and there are quiet areas but the two critical chairs out of the Les Saisies bowl get very busy. I am invariably there at new Year but I never use the downhill slopes in New Year week. Taking local advice is wise and you don't get much more local than Zorrac.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Sairon did get queues at Feb half term especially when the ski schools met up. Ok if you went before. If it was busy we tended to use the 2 slow chair lifts up ( and they are slow, much time to admire the views) rather than shuffle along in a queue. Or ski down to Morillon village take the gondola back up and join the Sairon queue after they had left although several ski classes tended to do this too. As Zorrac said the Lanche is a bottleneck not helped by people not filling up the chairs completely.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all so much for your replies! as always you are brilliant.

Well on the whole they are positive comments so i think we are going to go for it. I have looked into private lessons with ESF and they dont seem too expensive which i think answers the issue of arriving the day after the group sessions start. Im thinking there will be lift queues most places at new year and as we are stuck to that week we will just need to accept that it will be part of the holiday.

i can't believe we are actually going to book!!! X
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So pleased for you - something to look forward to. I am sure you will have a fantastic time the the Grand Massif it is a lovely place to ski. Where are you staying? snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zorrac wrote:
Lanche to get to rest of GM is dreadful as well. (its a slow 3 man, and once you are at the queue for it you have to queue there is no going anywhere else,............ nice views from it !)

I wouldn't use Lanche to access the rest of GM unless you want to go directly to Samoens as it takes forever. Much nicer and less busy to go straight on at the top of Sairon, down Biollare, and then back up Gron, etc.

BTW, although the snow came it little late this year on the 27th, when it did come it more than made up for it. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy