Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lightweight bindings advice

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just in the process of buying a new set of skis for my other half and was looking for a bit of advice re. bindings.

She hates heavy skis, so I'm looking at something as lightweight as possible to keep the weight down. They don't need to be anything too fancy/high-end - she's happy cruising around the Blues/Reds.

My first idea was a pair of Marker Squires - I ride on a pair of these and from memory they were amongst the lighter bindings available when I bought them a couple of years back. But are there any other better/lighter options?

Looking to keep the purchase sub £100 (there are some good deals on Squires at the moment, which means they fit into this budget).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Squires have had some bad press on American ski forums. Especially getting locked in seems to be a problem for light women (have a look at this topic from The Ski Diva: http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/has-anyone-had-a-problem-with-the-squire-bindings-locking-in.14155/page-5#post-280337)

But more importantly: what type of skiing does she do (on-piste? off-piste? both?) and on what ski will the bindings be mounted on (goes to available break width)? And what DIN-range are you looking for?

I have had three allmountain bindings in the past few years: Salomon STH2 WTR 13, Marker Griffon and Tyrolia Attack 13 (all in the 4-13 DIN range). The ligthest is the Tyrolia, which I like best (for other reasons than weight, by the way). But as I said, these are all in 4-13 DIN range, quite average for male skiers, but if your other half is very light weight, these migth be an overkill. There's also a Tyrolia Attack 12, which might be more appropriate. And all these bindings are quite wide, for ski of 80 mm width underfot and up.

Here's a list of weights for a lot of bindings:
http://www.evo.com/ski-binding-weight-chart-for-alpine-backcountry-bindings.aspx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Marker Squire? What is that, a cockney binding?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cheizz, she is 58kg and around 5'6". She's not that interested in off-piste, so tends to cruise around the blues/reds - so certainly doesn't need a high din.

From memory her skis are around 83mm underfoot (we tend to do a bit of spring skiing, so I went a little wider on the skis for the slush!).

Have to say that I've never had any issues with my Squires - and they don't seem any hardier/easier to get in and out of than any other binding I've used. That said, my partner is a lot lighter than me, so maybe best to look elsewhere, just to be on the safe side.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@abj, My daughter had some issues with getting out of the squires on her K2's, and she has really small boots (268mm boot sole), eventually it became too much of a pain, so we took them off and put some other bindings on (atomics rebadged salomons, that seem fine) The squires seem to have huge forward pressure that did not work very well with her small boots. Gave them away to a much larger relative and they have been working fine, so think its a small boot problem with them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great deals to be had right now, check this one: http://www.snowinn.com/ski-winkel/atomic-n-ffg-10-90mm-white-13-14/87050/p

Or try Ekosport.co.uk http://www.ekosport.co.uk/c2-skis/r157-ski-bindings/f38-alpine.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got some very similar to these

Only 3Kg
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Zorrac, thanks for the info. Think I'm better steering clear of the Squires. My other half only has size 5 feet - so on the smaller side.

@Cheizz, some good deals there - I'll shall take a further look!

@Mosha Marc, look like a good pair of bindings - but on the heavy side at 3kg a pair. Think my Squires are only about 1.6kg the pair - so prob looking at something lighter weight, if poss.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a pair of Marker Squires which I have no problems with but then I am neither small, light or have small feet. From memory Salomon Z10 or similar is popular on the Ski Diva site with women looking for light bindings.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @lynseyf. Funnily enough I was thinking about a pair of Z10s.

S&R seem to have a women's specific version (not sure exactly what that means, apart from the graphics? Possibly lighter I guess?) - which I was thinking about going for.

http://www.snowandrock.com/salomon-womens-z10-ti-b90/salomon-binding/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/63638?listing=true
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abj, Marker Z10, my wife skis these all day long, 55kg, awesome bindings.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, Err, surely you mean Salomon Z10.....
Great binding, easy to step in/out, I used a pair for years no issues at all
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Salomon Z10

Yup, they're the ones. (Although I think there might be some re-badged 'Atomic' versions out there(?) .... FFGs look awfully similar).

Either way, had a quick Google and the women's versions look like they're just a bit lighter - so decision made!

Thanks everyone for the input - much appreciated. Lightweight bindings sorted!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abj, Sorry I meant Marker F10
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not sure how much of an effect binding weight will really have - they're right in the middle of the ski. Swing weight is probably more important?
ski holidays
@clarky999, very true. Although if it means that she carries her own skis around the airport/resort for once, rather than yours-truly, it's got to be a bonus!
snow report
@abj, if you find a solution for that one let me know too!
ski holidays
True: Salomon Z10 = Atomic FFG 10
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
I'm not sure how much of an effect binding weight will really have

It makes the difference between you carrying them and her carrying them..............
ski holidays
Here:

http://www.snowandrock.com/salomon-womens-z10-ti-b90/salomon-binding/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/63638?listing=true
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy