Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
Dunk wrote:
@SkiPresto, it would appear that Billy has been in training since I last saw him.......
Shocked

... and since I last saw myself @Dunc

note to self: Must check mirror more often
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SkiPresto, it occurs to me that you may have not understood the comments made by me (at 1401) and @billy not a boy (at 1424). The suggestion is that your only safe course, if you don't wish your identity - including your real name which, I can't for the life me work out why you disclosed on here, if your aim is anonymity - to be made public, is to desist from posting on internet forums at all. And it is only a suggestion, lest I be accused of bullying.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Billyboy: Someone who (like you) seems to have joined SH a couple of weeks ago has some cheek to give out lectures.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiPresto wrote:
@Billyboy: Someone who (like you) seems to have joined SH a couple of weeks ago has some cheek to give out lectures.

I'm lecturing no one David Cuthill, I am merely pointing out your untenable position; and further, when has joining SnowHeads been a requisite for lecturing?

You really do have some pretty messed up ideas of how the world works.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
@SkiPresto, it occurs to me that you may have not understood the comments made by me (at 1401) and @billy not a boy (at 1424). The suggestion is that your only safe course, if you don't wish your identity - including your real name which, I can't for the life me work out why you disclosed on here, if your aim is anonymity - to be made public, is to desist from posting on internet forums at all. And it is only a suggestion, lest I be accused of bullying.

Thanks, "Hurtle".
The BASI guidelines are quite clear:-
3. GUIDELINES
BASI recognises that the use of online media such as discussion forums and social networking sites can be
informative in relation to professional development and working relationships. These guidelines are to help
guide your social network posting decisions.
 Be truthful and accurate
 Always be transparent about your affiliation with BASI
 Always identify yourself using your real name and state your relationship to BASI when you discuss
BASI or BASI related matters

I am just following the guidelines and every other BASI member here should do the same.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 26-05-15 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
billy not a boy wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:

I'm lecturing no one David Cuthill, I am merely pointing out your untenable position; and further, when has joining SnowHeads been a requisite for lecturing?

You really do have some pretty messed up ideas of how the world works.

Maybe I didn't read your name correctly "Bullyboy" is it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SkiPresto Do you seriously think that everyone on SnowHeads is a member of BASI? You really are comedic.

Did you notice that word you wrote in capital letters? Guidelines I think it was, if I could just scroll up and re-read your inane comment.

Do you know what a guideline is? Do you understand the difference between a guideline and a rule? Do you really think that the BASI has any say in the matter of who writes what and where they write it?

I'm not sure I've met anyone quite so deluded. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SkiPresto wrote:
Maybe I didn't read your name correctly "Bullyboy" is it?

Oh, sorry, I must have missed something there. Who am I bullying?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SkiPresto, thanks. Plainly, you can't at the same time follow the guidelines and protect yourself. Bad luck.

It's a funny old world on the internet...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SkiPresto, I think it would be better to ensure these guidelines are adhered to on the BASI administered FB page first.

Snowheads has always been full of opinionated and somewhat ignorant posters. You can not make a leopard change its spots.

Duncan Nash BASI member number 9***
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
@SkiPresto, thanks. Plainly, you can't at the same time follow the guidelines and protect yourself. Bad luck.

+1

I love the level of contradiction exhibited by some people.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Honestly, you godda laugh!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I take back the TTT comment, SkiPresto appears to be nowhere near as intelligent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@billy not a boy, now,now, ad hominem insults are not the way forward. Tsk.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So ... back on track then? Anyone?

Or is this bickering more entertaining? At least it's keeping the thread at the top of the SH list Smile
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@billy not a boy, now,now, ad hominem insults are not the way forward. Tsk.

You are right.

I am sorry @SkiPresto, that remark was uncalled for. I stand by it, but it was uncalled for.
latest report
@billy not a boy, it's perfectly plain to anyone who has even limited understanding of the principles of natural justice, that BASI (at best) jumped the gun by dismissing SB. Is there really anything else to argue during such time as the legal wheels continue to turn in Europe?
snow report
I think not @Hurtle, so back to the bickering it is then? hehe

I think that's part of the problem here (the SB case, not here on SH), natural justice appears to have not been considered in this matter.

I like your
Quote:
it's perfectly plain to anyone who has even limited understanding ...

You would have thought wouldn't you, but so many do not appear to see that. There was a poll on the FB which asked about whether or not members thought that the BASI acted properly, guess which side gained the most ayes?
snow report
Dunk wrote:
@SkiPresto, I think it would be better to ensure these guidelines are adhered to on the BASI administered FB page first.

Snowheads has always been full of opinionated and somewhat ignorant posters. You can not make a leopard change its spots.

Duncan Nash BASI member number 9***

Hi @Dunk
I really appreciate you putting you head above the parapet.
I have nothing to lose really, otherwise I wouldn't go near it. On the other hand, my professional BASI colleagues wouldn't dream of posting anything on a site like this.
I'm just an ordinary L3 BASI member, but one who has been a member for over 25 years.
I do, though, have the Web tools and server capacity to provide really powerful Portal Websites.
Such sites are much more than just streams of ephemera like you find in bulletin boards like SH, which is great for letting people let off steam. Hardly a business asset, though.
I'd like to be involved in making a portal for all BASI members to feel safe posting and making on-line meet-ups. I'm just looking for like-minded people to join in. It's heavy going, though, and it will take a lot of time and effort.

The BASI Administered FB group is very much improved recently - but still - it's wide open to the sometimes toxic world of FB (1.3Tn members and counting).
This thread "BASI sued for £500 000"
Having a wide-open thread for serious BASI legal business is inadvisable to say the least. It should be getting discussed - but not on the open ww web.

We shouldn't have outlaws who are too scared to emerge from behind their ridiculous pseudo-names.
If we simply had a login issued with the membership card, we could all co-operate to our mutual benefit and help each other pass the exams.
Compare the few people posting here compared to the thousands of BASI members who have nowhere to discuss confidential business, and exclude themselves for very good reasons.
Good luck in BASI wink
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:

On the other hand, my professional BASI colleagues wouldn't dream of posting anything on a site like this.

Are you suggesting that @Dunc and other BASI members that post on here are not professional, or is the comment just about your colleagues?

I think that maybe that point might need a little clarification before any professional members of the BASI get upset, or offended.
ski holidays
BASI sued for £500 000 is hardly confidential business, anyone who takes the time to look at what legal proceedings are currently in progress in Scotland can find this information.

Anyone can discuss it, members of the BASI do not have a monopoly on discussing this matter.

And anyone can choose to post with anonymity if they like! You and the BASI have no right whatsoever to dictate who can and who cannot discuss matters with anonymity, the thought of it alone is ludicrous.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-05-15 19:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@billy not a boy,
Quote:

BASI sued for £500 000 is hardly confidential business, anyone who takes the time to look at what legal proceedings are currently in progress in Scotland can find this information.

Anyone can discuss it, members of the BASI do not have a monopoly on discussing this matter.
Indeed. I am not a BASI member, but the subject interests me (as an ex-lawyer, who has worked in Europe).

I agree with SkiPresto to the extent that there's nothing wrong with having a closed members' site. Why not, given that it's a members' club? As for the security controls on such a site, I'm not qualified to comment.

[Edited for typos]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 26-05-15 19:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@billy not a boy, I agree with both of your above posts.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@billy not a boy,
Quote:

Indeed. I am not a BASI member, but the subject interests me (as an ex-lawyer, who has worked in Europe).

I agree with SkiPresto to the extent that there's nothing wrong with having a closed members' site. Why not, given that it's a members' club? As for the security controls on such a site, I'm not qualified to comment.

[Edited for typos]

Hi Hurtle
You say
" ... as an ex-lawyer, who has worked in Europe..."

As a matter of interest (please forgive serious question) what are the sub judice rules that might relate to this? In your opinion, how wise is it for BASI members to be discussing this?
If you are not a member, then it's good entertainment - I'm sure, but it's a serious matter for members.
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:

The BASI Administered FB group is very much improved recently

How has it improved Puzzled

A member of BASI staff is an administrator but not the only one.
ski holidays
it's more than just "entertainment"
don't need to be a paid up member with a voting right to have a genuine interest in the goings on
ski holidays
billy not a boy wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:

On the other hand, my professional BASI colleagues wouldn't dream of posting anything on a site like this.

Are you suggesting that @Dunc and other BASI members that post on here are not professional, or is the comment just about your colleagues?

I think that maybe that point might need a little clarification before any professional members of the BASI get upset, or offended.

This remark related to *my* colleagues. I haven't met @Dunc, but from his high BASI number, and seeing that he isn't in the ISIA database, I can see he is probably on the progression still, rather than a full cert.
1) I would welcome @Dunc as a colleague one day
2) I hope he passes his exams soon, and wish him all success.
3) I hope he isn't put off or penalised in any way for the company he has to keep
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
SkiPresto wrote:

The BASI Administered FB group is very much improved recently

How has it improved Puzzled

A member of BASI staff is an administrator but not the only one.

Hi Stewart. I think it has improved since it was first transferred (or whatever happened)
There was a bit of a stagger at first, but on the general posting quality - I just got a better impression the last time I had a look.
I imply nothing about who is on the admin staff. I understand Jonathan is still involved.
No big deal or argument.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SkiPresto, Yep level 2, been that way for 13 years, no wish to be a ISTD.
Enjoy ski teaching, anywhere I can. But for someone who never raced seriously as a teen, and I'm now very close to 50, not really bothered with the BASI exams.
The final year Astrophysics exams however I'm sitting in two weeks I will take your wishes for success thank you.
ski holidays
@SkiPresto, the FB site was bombarded by a sock puppet who spouted nonsense supporting BASI and antagonising decent members.
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:
As a matter of interest (please forgive serious question) what are the sub judice rules that might relate to this? In your opinion, how wise is it for BASI members to be discussing this?

I'll take a pop (I am not an ex-lawyer or even a current one). I think the sub judice concept applies mainly to criminal jury trials. Professional judges of civil cases are presumed, rightly I'm sure, not to be influenceable by internet discussions etc.

Given the above, I don't see how it would be unwise for a BASI member to discuss the case in reasonable terms. I can understand though how some might feel they could be targetted, by the board and/or CEO and/or other officers, if information or opinion they provide runs counter to the interests and/or doctrine of the BASI powers that be (even if it is favourable to the rank and file member).

Quote:
If you are not a member, then it's good entertainment - I'm sure, but it's a serious matter for members.

It's serious for customers of ski instruction too.
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:
If you are not a member, then it's good entertainment

It's rather more than that. It's about the classic definition of an organised profession as a conspiracy against the public. In my opinion. It's unsurprising that ski instructors may think it's all about them but that isn't this consumer's view. Just to be clear, I've nothing at all against instructors gaining qualifications to differentiate themselves in a free market.
latest report
SkiPresto wrote:
This thread "BASI sued for £500 000"
Having a wide-open thread for serious BASI legal business is inadvisable to say the least. It should be getting discussed - but not on the open ww web.

Well SkiPresto, whilst most snowHeads are just recreational skiers, and there is a much smaller number of snowHeads who are ski instructors (with BASI qualifications), we all tend to be interested in skiing related matters (the forum name is a bit of a giveaway) Laughing . So it's hardly surprising that the ongoing dispute between Simon Butler and BASI management and the fact that BASI is being sued for £500,00 (as reported in publicly available news reports) is being discussed here (and it's right and proper that it should be). So the ongoing (BASI/Simon Butler/Mutual Recognition of skiing qualification levels within Europe) developments will continue to be discussed here on the open web (and doubtless on other open web sites too).

I can agree with you on one thing though. How a BASI member conducts himself on an open site like this could potentially affect how a potential customer views them. I've met several BASI instructors through snowHeads who I'd be more than happy to have lessons from. However, sad to say the impression I've gained from the manner of your posts here means that I don't think I can say the same in your case. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@SkiPresto,
Quote:

what are the sub judice rules that might relate to this?
I'm afraid I don't know. I'm not and never was a litigator and am reluctant to give an opinion on what is a very specialised subject which, in all honesty, I CBA to research. Commonsense dictates that to discuss what is already in the public domain is absolutely fine, as is discussion on the various legal principles involved.

Quote:

In your opinion, how wise is it for BASI members to be discussing this?
Not very wise to be discussing, 'outside the club', matters which may not be in the public domain, or airing dirty linen about BASI officers imho. Some of the overheated wranglings are a terrible advertisement for BASI. On the other hand, it's not right to stifle free speech. I'm inclined to agree with you that, if members are going to wrangle like this, they should do so in the privacy of their own club.
ski holidays
Interesting how I sway from one view to the other here. I think I've now settled on the fence.

We have a members only forum for owners at Arc 1950. Many issues discussed are strictly between us, and not for general consumption. Often positions are taken that are resolved through dialogue, but it isn't necessary for everyone external to know the mechanism of how a solution was reached, nor who was for or against it during the negotiations or discussions. This is right and proper. You don't blab what you are up to when looking for a settlement with a supplier.

However, no-one from the Owners Association would attempt to censor external comment if people felt the need (we might PM them to explain the damage their outburst may cause of course!).

So yes, I can see Presto's Place has a place.

But so does Snowheads. BASI is not a closed group - it delivers service to a customer base, as well as to its membership. (IANA Member, but I am a customer). And the customers may wish to discuss, learn, enquire, in open forum what is going on. If BASI members feel the need to comment, ( correct / update / opine / discuss) they should be able to do so, without their Association attempting to impose rules it can't hope to uphold.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, sorry, I have inadvertently more or less repeated what you had already posted - got waylaid in the middle of my post!
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll,
Quote:

BASI is not a closed group - it delivers service to a customer base, as well as to its membership. (IANA Member, but I am a customer). And the customers may wish to discuss, learn, enquire, in open forum what is going on. If BASI members feel the need to comment, ( correct / update / opine / discuss) they should be able to do so, without their Association attempting to impose rules it can't hope to uphold.

Fair point. Can I join you on the fence?
Toofy Grin
snow report
Dunk wrote:
@SkiPresto, the FB site was bombarded by a sock puppet who spouted nonsense supporting BASI and antagonising decent members.

Hi @Dunk
That's right. He/she has had their fb account suspended. I messaged the person and now the messages are blanked out.
snow conditions
SkiPresto wrote:

As a matter of interest (please forgive serious question) what are the sub judice rules that might relate to this?

Rules; http://www.out-law.com/page-9742

INHO nothing posted here breaches the Rules wink
snow conditions
Quote:

It means (are you sure you are as bright as you think? ) It means that if someone is searching for posts by"billy_not_a_boy" containing "CEO" I don't want the returned set to include posts that mention me. (I don't want anyone to get the impression that I have anything to do with you, or agree with you on that subject).

I think you are very likely to be a dangerous influence.

I took you into my confidence in order to help develop MyBASI. We discussed it in Hintertux a year or so back, and you appeared to be a perfectly reasonable person then, face to face. Now look at you.

I am not normally a SH follower, however I have been appraised that there was post by someone that suggested I was the person known as billy not a boy. I can categorically refute that I am billy not a boy. I did, however, offer a person a lift back to his accommodation to ensure he did not miss his evening meal due to the timing of the BASI Open Forum. So in case Ski presto thinks billy not a boy is Jim Davidson he is sadly mistaken. Sorry no coconut for Skipresto.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy