Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is your Season really over?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Ya
I'm quite new to skiing in the big scheme of things, I've skied as late as mid April in 3V's & Tignes before.
Question is: Is the season over or is anyone still going skiing??
I hear that the lifts in Val Thorens could run up to the 10th of May & Tignes possibly from Claret to the Motte up until the 10th.
Is anyone booked up until them?
Also when does the season start in the Southern Hemisphere eg Chile, New Zealand?
Does winter creep south in the Americas, is there anywhere with good quality winter snow at this time of year?
Call me daft but if you don't ask ya dont know
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied today, so, no season isn't over yet. SA usually kicks of end off June. And it doesn't creep South, it starts there. But you know how it goes with winter. It starts when it feels like it. Not when you want it to. Whistler is still open too.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing was good* in VT yesterday.

* if you like lots of fresh type 2 snow buffing stuff up and low visibility of terrain and can deal with a bit of "stop- carry on" on schusses. Big T storm around Aville last evening so may have produced more.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franzClammer, it never ends, it just transfers to hemel in the summer Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied yesterday , fresh snow last night and now clear skys mean back out again this morning

My last trip this season snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll be up visiting the inlaws who are 25 mins from Glencoe so if it's worth it next weekend will be my last outdoor ski of the season-they are closing on the 4th of May.

The Lake District ski club tow is still running and we had some snow on the fells over the weekend-they've had a bumper season this year by their standards.

Having returned from Obergurgl last weekend I've been checking the webcams now and again as you do! It's their last weekend and there's still a lot of snow about, I guess like most they have to pick a closure date due to lack of punters rather than snow........
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going skiing.... now Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was on the Zugspitze last Sunday. They have 5m at the top at the moment. Had about 10cm of pow in little Canada in the morning and fantastic spring skiing in the afternoon. Weather is scheduled to be shite next week and then clear up again for the weekend so I may feel a final trip coming on next Sunday... Maybe.
Unfortunately Zugspitze has it's last day on the 3rd.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last year I skiied every month apart from October, May is great up in Norway and Sweden, still snowing at sea level in Iceland as well. South America starts late June generally (I fly down on the 23rd), NZ is a bit earlier, maybe the 2nd week of June. Personally I'm pretty glad to have a few months off skis this year, looking forward to the beach!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will have three days in Hemsedal next weekend Smile Could've been there for the Donald Duck Winter Games this weekend, but for various reasons we're not. And Folgefonna on the glacier from June 20th to June 27th. It never stops completely, but at least we can get some MTB'ing done now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's good to have a balance in life and do summer sports whilst waiting for winter to come back again at the end of November.

10th May to last week November - It's not long to wait and cycling during the summer period will improve your skiing fitness.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
emwmarine wrote:
It's good to have a balance in life and do summer sports whilst waiting for winter to come back again at the end of November.

10th May to last week November - It's not long to wait and cycling during the summer period will improve your skiing fitness.

Totally agree with this.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dryslopes for me. From about now until 2 months before I go skiing (in case I injury myself). So, no, not over. I'd rather be on snow, but the only time in my life I could have afforded multiple ski trips I hated . . . no, despised . . . my job. And now I rather enjoy my jobs. So hey ho.

I've tried waterskiing for the last couple of years. But it's really expensive at £24 for a 15 min lesson, or £18 for a 10 min tow. I tend to do it with my daughter in the summer holidays. 5 or 6 goes a year means we'll still be learning for a few years And then we can switch to wakeboarding!

MTBing's okay but not the same buzz. And I seem to get bored and hurt myself mucking about! And injuries take so long to heal these days! Probably I should get some lessons and learn to do it properly. Then we could set up a snowHeads does mountainBiking.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer wrote:
Hi Ya
I'm quite new to skiing in the big scheme of things, I've skied as late as mid April in 3V's & Tignes before.
Question is: Is the season over or is anyone still going skiing??
I hear that the lifts in Val Thorens could run up to the 10th of May & Tignes possibly from Claret to the Motte up until the 10th.
Is anyone booked up until them?
Also when does the season start in the Southern Hemisphere eg Chile, New Zealand?
Does winter creep south in the Americas, is there anywhere with good quality winter snow at this time of year?
Call me daft but if you don't ask ya dont know

You are daft Toofy Grin

a) Who gives a fcuk if anyone else is going skiing? If the lifts are open and you want to go skiing, go skiing!
b) It's not a case of the VT lifts "may" be open until the 10th. They will be. And probably on the 11th too as a freebie to anyone that's still there though they won't tell you until the day before. 2-9th is "Dutch Week". Resort will be heaving in a sea of orange with extra après ski, live bands, 2016 ski tests and general pot-infused mayhem. Great fun!
c) See a) wink SC accommodation in VT in Dutch week can be hard to get on public websites but you'll probably get something on owner's direct from a Brit for peanuts (I paid E200 for a 6 man apt a few years ago)
d) July-ish, could be earlier or later, more often later.
e) No - they're closed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Raceplate, excellent info first hand. Cheers
ski holidays
@franzClammer, forgot to say that if that's not late enough Utah is open till May 25th http://www.skiutah.com/members/snowbird?_ct=Menu+Bar

Pretty sure that Snowbird has stayed open until July in good years but it could be urban myth wink
ski holidays
Snowed here today. Tbh I'm more concerned about my cherry and plum blossom than getting my boots out the attic.
snow report
Hoping for May Brecon Beacons turns this week Happy
snow conditions
I may shoot up to Glencoe later this week. http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams.html
ski holidays
and then there is summer glacier skiing, lots of the companies do specific training weeks, snow is obviously going to be better in June than in August/Sept on the glaciers, but then if you get lucky after that you may get some nice fresh snow rather than glacial ice!

The IoS boys do pre-season trip to the Tignes glacier in Oct/Nov from memory
snow report
I'm still skiing here in Iceland and it was even snowing in Reykjavik this weekend. A friend of mine in NZ has just skied his first turns of their season during this past week (in unseasonably early snow).
latest report
Outside chance that I may pop up to Glencoe this weekend if the weather is OK Puzzled
latest report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I may shoot up to Glencoe later this week. http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams.html

The winterhighland link is a much better one for Glencoe's webcams ... http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

dode wrote:
Snowed here today. Tbh I'm more concerned about my cherry and plum blossom than getting my boots out the attic.

Curious why you put your boots in the attic already, but guessing Glenshee is your nearest hill and you don't go elsewhere ?
latest report
Note: It's not just skiing on the Grande Motte Glacier in Tignes at this time of year - typically, about half of the Espace Killy domaine will be open until early May. Then Val D closes but Tignes stays open another week.
snow conditions
I'm planning a day at Glencoe NEXT Wednesday! Looks like it will still be viable.... Very Happy
ski holidays
c44rver wrote:
I'm planning a day at Glencoe NEXT Wednesday! Looks like it will still be viable.... Very Happy

you do know the lifts will be shut? I can't juggle my diary to get up there this week which is a real shame.
latest report
I'm heading to Norway this weekend to go to the end of season May Festival in Hemsedal - about 90% of the runs are still open and it's due to snow a few cms this week!

That will probably be the last of the winter for me though - starting to feel quite excited about some nice warm weather now!
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
@franzClammer, forgot to say that if that's not late enough Utah is open till May 25th http://www.skiutah.com/members/snowbird?_ct=Menu+Bar

Pretty sure that Snowbird has stayed open until July in good years but it could be urban myth wink

Whistler open too until sometime around the end of May (then Blackcomb Glacier opens sometime in July for the really keen). Last weekend was pretty good snowHead
Shall probably going skiing this weekend too, though have to admit I'm starting to agree with a few suggestions that it might be time to let winter go... Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 28-04-15 16:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My season is most definitely over - but already done a week's sailing and lots of nice things lined up including walking in the Alps and sailing in the Lofoten Islands (and some ancillary sightseeing in Norway). Next winter can wait. Why wish your life away?
ski holidays

There are compensations for the end of winter. Last week on Brownsea Island.
snow conditions
So, if I wanted to go away this weekend and get a few turns in - what would be the easiest and cheapest option from London?
latest report
chamonix, 1 hour from Geneva. Gran Montets still open, closing party this weekend. A lot of fresh snow predicted this week but its due to be warm come Saturday (per snowforecast at least).

Would love if someone on the ground could post about conditions?
snow conditions
Mine didn't start.
snow conditions
@kat.ryb,
Or you could fly fly from Stansted to Memmingen with Ryanair (or Munich with Easyjet), then take your pick of the Austrian glaciers of Pitztal, Kaunertal, Soelden (until Sunday, I think), Stubaital or Hintertux. You would need to hire a car, however, and drive two and a half hours or so. We are heading to Hintertux and Stubai Glaciers on Monday, for a week. Can't wait!

Or you could ski at Nebelhorn, about 45 minutes from Memmingen.

There's still lots of great skiing to be done! Very Happy
latest report
Thanks @8611 and @Bergmeister.

Cham defo out - flights to GVA are redic for the weekend (not surporising given late notice and may BH).

Off to check Munich flights!
ski holidays
Gah, and Munich is really expensive too. My newley arrived board might have to go to HH or MK this weekend Very Happy

Quote:

We are heading to Hintertux and Stubai Glaciers on Monday, for a week. Can't wait!

Very envious!
ski holidays
Last day, 58th, was Saturday. I'm all skied out for the moment. Will move onto other things. I will be out in L2A the 2nd half of August but doubt I'll ski. Ive absolutely no interest in skiing indoors. Early start for me in December for next winter I think Happy
snow conditions
@franzClammer, so why not extend your season and learn a new skill into the bargain Toofy Grin
GB Telemark Indoor Series 2015
ski holidays
@Bergmeister,
Quote:
We are heading to Hintertux and Stubai Glaciers on Monday, for a week. Can't wait!
Same here - Stubai/Kaunertal/Pitztal - may see you there. Weather looking a bit iffy though Confused
ski holidays
Best snow on the planet currently here in the UK Cool

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-32512716
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy