Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what Ski-Tracker do you use / recommend?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking for a good ski-tracker app. Can anyone recommend one that does both of the following please?

1. shows me where I am on a map which shows the runs
    2. shows me where my friends are (I'm thinking little blobs on the map like apple's Find my friends app)

I have tried a few but haven't found one that can do both of the above as yet.. Thanks very much indeed for any recommendations you can make.

Cheers,

Nick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you could try Crystal's free app. I only used it a couple of times, but appeared to do both those things. Although guess it will be limited to resorts they serve. Remember you'll all need data roaming to get the friend tracking to work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmmm. Any tips for being able to see very much at all on a phone in bright sunlight?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
not something I can recall being a significant problem - do remember to lift goggles/sun glasses though Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@happysailingdude, uh, in your own head?

I know (!) I'm a tad old fashioned, but really?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kerb wrote:
not something I can recall being a significant problem - do remember to lift goggles/sun glasses though

Thanks for that. Anybody got any suggestions that are actually useful?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try Maprika. http://www.maprika.com/ It's a brilliant ski track App. With hundreds of maps here: http://www.maprika.com/map_list.html

You have to download the Piste Map when you're on Wi-Fi, then you can turn off mobile data and rely on GPS, so totally free to use, runs quietly in the background and does all you ask above ...

but you probably need to have mobile data running to find your friends.

Worked great in London and Paris for sightseeing too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PS you can make your own maps too...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dogwatch wrote:
kerb wrote:
not something I can recall being a significant problem - do remember to lift goggles/sun glasses though

Thanks for that. Anybody got any suggestions that are actually useful?

erm, make sure brightness is turned up on your phone? get one with a bigger/brighter screen? shade the screen with your glove/jacket?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks but already tried all of those other than buying another phone and I don't think the screen is any less bright than other phones. Have been known to go inside the top of a lift station as the only way to view the screen.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could always buy the recon HUD Live equipped goggles.

It has to be the live not the older std HUD unit. The live has Bluetooth integration to work with your phone, you can play music, locate friends with the Android app and also use it with one of the contour cameras to view what is being filmed. It has a pretty extensive library of piste maps. ( have been considering it myself to use with the contour camera to film the daughter skiing, and also for easy location of her if in lessons next season ).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had my first experience of life in a ski resort with unlimited mobile data this year (thank you, 3, for your enlightened roaming policy). It was transformational: from the chairlift I could find which lifts/runs were open, view maps, keep track of the weather, look at live webcams and send photos home from the slopes as Brilliant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crikey I am getting old fashioned: from the chairlift I can chat to people, look at the condition of the piste, plan routes, view maps, watch the weather, improve my skill level by observing effective skiers, watch ski races live, run surveys on the proportion of snow boarders and skiers, and dream. And to be honest I don't care where my buddies are (as if I had any)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Crikey I am getting old fashioned: from the chairlift I can chat to people, look at the condition of the piste, plan routes, view maps, watch the weather, improve my skill level by observing effective skiers, watch ski races live, run surveys on the proportion of snow boarders and skiers, and dream. And to be honest I don't care where my buddies are (as if I had any)

Toofy Grin +1000 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
speed098 wrote:
You could always buy the recon HUD Live equipped goggles.

Thanks but one of the pleasures of skiing for me it to be away from the "always available" working norm.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy