Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bumps skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone,

question on bumps skis.....

i have two pairs of skis

salomon x-race 177 cm's & salomon rocker 2 192cm's

i seem to find skiing bumps better on the longer skis.... (not that i am great in either) is this because they are softer? any answers appreciated

cheers

a bumps novice!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ajc2260626, question: are you skiing bumps "correctly" - i.e. absorbing them with your legs and pivoting on the top? (and smearing your skis across the top for speed control? In which case the softer ski might be helping.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Softer, rocker (less contact), straighter (smoother pivot/smear) should help, I'd have thought?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Softer, rocker (less contact), straighter (smoother pivot/smear) should help, I'd have thought?

+1
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, I am trying but I have never skied bumps in 15 years of skiing which means ever for me so it's a bit challenging to say the least, also not helped by the fact that the only ones I have skied are the ones under the tommeuses chair which are quite big and steep

Cheers guys, I do seem also to get an edge grip rather than a smear / drift which doesn't help things speed wise..... So with that in mind what would be a good ski that would be a decent piste ski so still ok for carving but give me a bit more help in the bumps and variable ? (the xrace feel a bit narrow and stiff in the deeper stuff) am guessing some thing a bit less racey?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajc2260626, x-race definitely a bit narrow for anything other than groomed piste (it's a near race ski).

Blizzards are getting well talked about so the Brahma or Latigo might be worth thinking about. (I have my beadies on the Bonafides to replace my Mantras when they expire).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ajc2260626, given your doing your L2 (if I recall t'other thread correctly) then a bumps specific ski will not work well for the performance parts of the course, ie longs and shorts...

So you want a general all round ski, about mid 70s underfoot I'd say. I did my L2 as have many others on a Head Titan 170cm ( I think) . I am 5ft 10 and was about 80kg at the time I think. I don't know how the X-Race compares.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, i agree the xrace feel great on the piste but one anything else i am not good enough to make up for the skis shortfalls as to me its feels narrow and stiff........i will check those blizzards out

@kitenski, i think that they might be a good ski and that format would be shorter too as i have got the 177's which feel a bit long as we are almost identical build.....

@under a new name, i see you have champoluc on your profile do you do a bit round there? as i thinking of going next new year.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ajc2260626, we do, yes, Lady UANN's father came from there, so we (especially she) knows it quite well snowHead It is a great place and has our favourite restaurant in the world in it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, @ajc2260626, I did my bumps adventure earlier this year on the 180cm Brahma - it is pretty stiff in the tail so not forgiving if you end up leaning backwards in the bumps at any stage. The extra length and width made it a little less nimble having to be really active - especially with my less than perfect technique.

My guess is that the Latigo is probably easier to handle if you do go that way as it is narrower and slightly shorter. It still has the two sheets of titanium, but no additional strengthening under the binding (which it looks like the Brahma has, though i might be wrong).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pynch, i have gone for a pit of latigo's in 170 length and i think that i will go for and see how i get on with them, probably try and get on one of the clinics that run at hemel.......

@under a new name, have you got any good contacts for champoluc i would like to do a couple of weeks there across new year i think and would need to find somewhere dog friendly....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ajc2260626, i'm afraid we really don't. While we have an apartment that we rent out, various family members, myself primarily are very sensitive to furry friends and my asthma kicks right off. And no, a good clean is not adequate!

Tourist office, etc. is all I can suggest.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, i hear you mate.... i will check it out.... how did you find your place to buy? i have being considering italy rather than france....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ajc2260626, I have no advice, they were in the Mrs' family for centuries...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy