Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French half term dates

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are planning our first half term ski trip next year, have been lucky enough to go at easter so far but GCSEs loom next year so decided to do the dreaded half term thing.

I've checked our holiday dates and it coincides with french zones A and B, although they are each for 2 weeks so we maybe lucky? Our half term is 13-20 feb and zone A is 6-20th, zone b is 13-27th.

I've no idea what this means in terms of resort business and we're thinking of Les Arcs as we like big linked resorts and have done 3V twice now and want to try somewhere new.

Any advice? Other option is italian Milky Way as I think italy is less busy at half term but I'm not overly keen on the fact it seems to take a long time to get from one part to another whereas les arcs looks more easily accessible. I've heard Vallandry is less busy?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sat 13 will probably be the busiest changeover day of the year in the Tarentaise - each of the 3 zones gets 2 weeks of holiday over a 4 week period - next year it is B, A&B, A&C, C. The 13th Feb being A&B. A is the local area - Lyon Grenoble etc. Advice would be book with a tour op who travels on a Sunday - or book an apt t Sun - Sun. If you have to do Sat - prepare for a long transfer both ways or arrive in resort by 9am or leave it until after 8 pm (unless you enjoy sitting in a traffic jam). Not what you want to here I realise - but forewarned is forearmed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would also add that the Italians don't have the school holidays the way the French do. Our experience this year in Italy at half term was a dream compared to the usual French nonsense. No traffic queues arriving or leaving & we didn't encounter any queues at all on the slopes. I've decided to dump France at half term now & am looking at Italy instead. Fancy somewhere in Selva for next year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I definitely wouldn't go to France for half term - and I have an apartment there! The holidays are usefully earlier next year. Mid to late March should be excellent.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a lot of skiing to had in Italy, Switzerland, Austria...add Germany, Spain. Andorra and Scandinavia

All of those are much less affected by Half Term, some are hardly affected at all.

It is a flippin mystery to me why so many people go to France for Half Term, in the full and certain knowledge that it will be A: very crowded, B: very expensive and C: journey hell.

Go to France at other times by all means....but please don't believe that 3V, Val D'Ispere and Le(s) Plagnes Arcs are the only places for a "normal" British trip of intermediate skiers (which most Brits are).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would love to be able to go in term time but sadly I work in a school so have no choice. I have never found the resorts too horrendous at this time and have had several excellent half term holidays. I agree that any child in year 10 or 11 really cannot afford to miss any school time but up until then I see no problem taking them out.....obviously the school should ideally agree !!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

have no choice

my daughter and son in law are both teachers, so I know what you mean. But you don't have to go at half term, and if that's your preferred time, you don't have to go to France. Sure, it's possible to have a good holiday - plenty do - but how much nicer without the lift queues?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp wrote:
.......It is a flippin mystery to me why so many people go to France for Half Term, in the full and certain knowledge that it will be A: very crowded, B: very expensive and C: journey hell..........

Couldn't agree more, I know ex-pats here in Serre that go back to the UK on the busy weeks.

And totally agree about Italy - we went there quite a few times to escape the French hordes and the difference was staggering!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with Malarkey9, we've had 3 February half term holidays in Italy and they've all been really nice and quiet. Last year to La Thuile and the year before that to Claviere. Not sure I'd go back to Claviere, but really enjoyed La Thuile, as did the children. Great prices compared to France and we hardly encountered any queues - in fact often having pistes virtually to ourselves. You can get over to Rosiere in France as well. Agreed not as extensive as some resorts, but I'd say worth it for the quietness and lower prices. Area lift pass also gives you 2 days in Courmayeur, Gressoney, Champoluc, Pila and Cervinia. We stayed in Hotel Planibel, 2 min walk to lifts, in fact some days we could ski over the road to our front door.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've an apartment in St Gervais in France and have avoided the half term week until now because of the horror stories.

Due to the vagaries of the school calendar this year we could either try the half week or wait until Easter but I'm greedy so we decided to do both and hope for the best. It really wasn't that bad! The queues were greater than we were used to in January or March but not terrible and they weren't any worse than over the new year period. I usually go on a January trip to Alpe d'Huez and the off peak queues at the DMC there are far worse than anything at St Gervais in peak season.

The only real grumble was the tunnel and roads were very busy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've chosen to do three half terms in France over last few years. I say 'chosen' as we could have gone for NY or Easter to fit around school hols. We had avoided Feb trips for years because of the horror stories but if you choose your area carefully and bear in mind the usual travel hot spots/times (on roads and on slopes) then February trips have been a dream compared to NY trips.
The biggest, most painful delays have been at Eurotunnel. Technical faults on top of half term traffic Sad And that would have still been a problem had we been travelling back from Austria, Switzerland or wherever.

Still counting down to no school holiday trips though Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

they weren't any worse than over the new year period.

In my experience new year is the worst for crowds in France - and of course, being early in the season, not reliable for good snow cover either so sometimes the crowds can't spread out. New Year seems to be busy everywhere - about the worst time to go on a ski holiday, really. But in Italy, in particular, judging from reports here the UK half term can be far quieter than it is in France (when it always coincides with French school holidays). In Austria it depends a lot on how other holidays fall and therefore is likely to vary from year to year, but there have been reports of some very big lift queues in some places in recent years.

In many places, if you know the resort well, you can escape the crowds and the worst of the queues, even at half term though there are usually some bottlenecks. In Les Saisies itself you can't really escape the crowds but staying in one of the other Espace Diamant centres makes it far easier (though it also reduces the chances of good snow, as LS always has the best snow cover).

But my niece and her family will be at my place in February 2016, as they have for several years now. They like the resort and the apartment costs them only £150 for the week. They drive, so in cost terms the holiday costs no more than any other time of year though they have encountered some major traffic and Eurotunnel holdups. My niece is a teaching assistant but sometimes there are INSET days just before holidays which mean they can get away earlier. generally they arrive early, beating the traffic, on the Saturday and they ski the last Saturday then stop over, usually at Beaune, on the way home. They are a bit fanatic - next year they'll have 2 weeks at christmas/New Year, a week at half term and a week at Easter. My place won't be available for all those times but it makes early discounted purchase of a season pass very worthwhile!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, agreed re early discounted purchase of season pass, especially for an area where there are other resorts within easy reach with a car so you can avail of your 'free' days Very Happy Hoping for better, injury free, luck with that system again soon wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My season pass for the Espace Diamant cost me €347 last year. That's less than 2 weeks full pass. It does include a rather modest reduction for being elderly - it's the same price as a student pass. But the adult price is the same as two week passes.

I've yet to use any of my "free days" elsewhere, except a couple of days in Les Contamines. I keep intending to....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy