Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spring skiing in Oberburgl-live report (sort of)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all from sunny Obergurgl.

I'm sat waiting for the Mrs to get ready for dinner so thought I'd make a start on the trip report and may supply some more live updates.

Focus of the trip was to get my Mrs to fall in love with the idea of skiing all over again after a couple of years off. My strategy was to make it more of a holiday so nice hotel, good food, quiet resort and hopefully sunshine.

We settled on Obergurgl after weighing up which resorts met the brief that would still be open.

All booked DIY, Flights from Manchester to Munich with Lufthansa, hired a car. Drive was fine, got a little lost in Munich Puzzled but just a little..... Drove via the Fern pass and once a certain distance south of Munich the mountains come into view and it was a real pleasure.

Obergurgl is known for its many 'wellness' hotels i.e hotels with spa facilities-pool, saunas, steam rooms etc. We choose the Bergwelt Hotel

http://www.hotelbergwelt.com/index-en.html

By booking direct and thanks to the relatively weak Euro for HB the cost was 1300E. The hotel is fantastic. I've stayed in a variety of accommodations from self catering to catered chalets-when doing trips without the OH I usually go for the budget end never seen the point as I'll normally ski from the first to last lift. Another bonus of coming late season we were given a room at least a few tiers above what we paid for.

Best thing about the hotel so far is the food, huge selection for breakfast, hot food and cakes in the late afternoon, and 7 courses in the evening. I'd be happy paying for the food in a high end restaurant back home, it's that good.

The ski area sits mostly above 2000m we've had typical spring conditions, hard pistes lower down in the morning but nice up top. Lower down it gets chopped up by the end of the day but not particularly slushy. We've been heading over to Hochgurgl first thing as the slopes over that side get the sun earlier. I don't ski on piste all that much anymore and had slight concerns the area might be a little limited but I've not found that to be the case, it's mostly wide blues and reds ideally suited to intermediates. There are some blacks, none particularly challenging-there is one from the top of Hochgurgl which has a steep pitch at the start but it's nice and wide then mellows out. Have to say I've found the piste marking to be shocking at times-difficult to follow where you want to go at times-must be a nightmare in bad weather-which due to it's exposed nature it must get plenty of. The lifts system is great-a couple of t-bars but mostly fast chairs and gondolas.

We're heading to Solden tomorrow and I'll get a guide on Thursday. Most of all the Mrs is really enjoying herself, loving the skiing, stopping for a radler for a break and loves the spa. Overall Obergurgl is great resort-the weather has been kind, sunny and warm by mid day. It's been ideal for 'a ski holiday' not a lot to the village as most hotels seem to be HB so evenings are based around your hotel-some good on slope apres bars though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, @Bene, I'm here this week too and have been skiing some of the south facing off piste runs in Obergurgl from midday onwards after they've softened a bit. There's the south side of Hohe Mut into Rotmoostal and from Festkogl into Gaisbergtal. Would be good to meet up if you have time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kelskii, just picked up your message. Thanks for the offer I think today would be my only free day (afternoon). I'll drop you a txt anyhow. Shame I didn't see your message sooner to organise something.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today we headed to Solden after taking the 10E extra charge option when buying our Obergurgl passes.

I was impressed, felt like a large area with a good variety of slopes with some awesome views. The town itself seems to have bad a rep? i.e I got the impression the road was busy and a bit seedy? I did see a girly type bar but other than that seemed quite nice-I'd actually fancy it or one of the satellite villages as a base. Very quiet with no queues-I did the home 'slither of snow' run just for a laugh-first time skiing through a deep puddle was fun. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for reporting!
I hope to visit one day too. Shame they don't do shared ski pass for more than 1 day.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tom W, if you're happy with buses you could stay in one of the satellite areas, the bus service is frequent and included on the Liftpass.

So that's it for my skiing in 2015-minus if a Scotland trip warrants it when I'm up visiting the inlaws.

Today it was raining at resort level (~2000m) snowing higher up reasonably heavy at times causing a couple of lifts closures. Normally you'd head for the trees but the area has few and lower down it was like skiing through cement due to the rain. We had a very nice days skiing though. The resort closes soon but there is an impressive amount of snow around all the way down to resort.

All in all a most enjoyable trip, the hotel was fantastic and a new experience to us skiing and staying in a high end hotel and fully DIY too, ski area is plenty big enough an ideal for a late season trip in particular, good lift system, no queues.

Mission accomplished as the Mrs loved it! My legs have had enough but she wishes we had another day or two! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy