Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repair to a delaminated tail

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have some kids atomic race skis and half the tail on one has started to delaminate. See the attached photos -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqx4rpa9vc3pntm/Photo%2012-04-2015%2017%2040%2053.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mhjx8d6aonbpm6/Photo%2012-04-2015%2017%2041%2010.jpg?dl=0

Can these be repaired? I read on t'internet that you can use a resin and clamp them back together but I am wondering about the missing inch or so of edge or what sort of resin to use.

Any thoughts/advice?

Cheers,
Peter
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hate to break it to you, but I am pretty sure that they are toast... I guess it depends on how often the kid actually uses them?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes they are totally fixable, you need to repair the edge first here is a guide if you haven't done it before
http://www.dietfig.org/corerepair.html

you need to use slow cure epoxy as it's got some flexibility, once the edge is repaired just epoxy the base back down and patch it up with some ptex, then prep as normal.

you can get big bottles of slow epoxy from model shops, or get everything you need from sypderjon on here or on his site http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The cost of the time and materials to mend them is almost certainly going to be more than the worth of the finished result. A second hand pair of kid's racing skis in good condition is not that expensive.

BTW the skis in the photo look in pretty poor condition, even ignoring the delamination and broken egde. The edges are in terrible shape and there is some major damage to the base as well.

Bin them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm going to attempt a similar fix but only for 'fun'. I don't expect a successful result!
Those skis (as hyperkub mentioned) are set for the bin. There is too much base damage and edge damage to bother... bin them!... They certainly won't be good enough to race with!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
well these guys obviously throw away stuff that can be repaired the base damage is nothing and a patch of ptex will see all that sorted rolling eyes , I can 100% tell you from experience I have fixed much worse.

Your costs are slow cure epoxy £10 with enough left over to fix another 20 pairs of skis in the same nick
ptex repair patch £4
piece of edge material £0

tools you will need, a clamp and a dremel if you have one but really a hacksaw would also do the job

time I would estimate about 1 hour

please search online you will see people repairing much worse and using them, skis are tough beasts and if the core isn't damaged pretty much anything else can be repaired.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@prthomas, .... there's your answer.... send them to @geeo!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The equation for mending kids skis is rathar different than for adults. If I mend a pair of my own skis I might carry on using them for some years. So the effort will be worthwhile. But kids grow. So before long you have to change skis anyway and a ski with that amount of repair work is worthless on the secondhand market. They will probably end up in the bin regardless of the care and effort spent making a good repair. So better just to buy a second hand ski in the next size up right away.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@prthomas, .... there's your answer.... send them to @geeo!

Love it, clearly because you don't know how to fix them they are useless
If they are going in the bin that's certainly what you should do and I will fix them up and I am sure I can find some kid to 'race' on them.

Quote:

The equation for mending kids skis is rathar different than for adults. If I mend a pair of my own skis I might carry on using them for some years. So the effort will be worthwhile. But kids grow. So before long you have to change skis anyway and a ski with that amount of repair work is worthless on the secondhand market. They will probably end up in the bin regardless of the care and effort spent making a good repair. So better just to buy a second hand ski in the next size up right away.

He asked if they were fixable, not if you thought they were worthless or will only last his children 3 weeks or what he should have for dinner
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
'race'
Wouldn't let my kid race on fixed delams...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geeo wrote:

He asked if they were fixable, not if you thought they were worthless or will only last his children 3 weeks or what he should have for dinner

He also asked for some advice. As a race coach I sometimes give advice and help to less-well off parents on how to get their kids equipped on a limited budget of both time and money. I have a pretty good feel for when it's time to cut your losses. End of season, kids generally change skis every year, it's a no brainer to bin them. OK, there might be a younger sibling in line, but I know how much younger kids resent having crappy hand-me-downs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all, Thanks for the advice. I have a younger son who could use these next year, just for recreational skiing so will give it a go and if it doesn't work I will bin them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

'race'

Wouldn't let my kid race on fixed delams...

Ah of course, you have a pic with your kids standing next to a real racer therefor your view on all racing matters and ski repair must be respected... lol, you don't think that's just a tiny bit sad? it's the most tenuous link ever Confused

Quote:

Hi all, Thanks for the advice. I have a younger son who could use these next year, just for recreational skiing so will give it a go and if it doesn't work I will bin them.

Nice one, you have very little to lose.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@geeo, you seem to be a bit of a dick. I'm gonna' plug that photo wherever and whenever i can!!! Who wouldn't!
Mabel had just got back from skiing with Hannes with Radstadt ski club that afternoon, then it was on to the town's welcome home party!.... I can't think that any member of our race club would want to repair those skis or think it a good idea. For a short burst about as a hand-me down ski then maybe... but they are only about £80 used.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@geeo, you seem to be a bit of a dick. I'm gonna' plug that photo wherever and whenever i can!!! Who wouldn't!

Cool

It's great you are a happy and proud parent and yes you are right to plug that photo as it's neat, but it has nothing to do with ski repair or what might happen if someone used a repaired ski so to my mind posting it in this context makes you
Quote:
seem to be a bit of a dick.

typical snowhead though, someone asks a question and gets 14 other answers so the responder can justify their brilliance
latest report
I think it depends on how much your kids will use them? If they will see 2 weeks of use per season, then yes, they "might" be worth fixing. But, if they are in use a few times a week - like my boy who actually races each weekend, then no.

Up to you I guess.

either way, try to fix them, and see how it goes. Then again, I love prepping skis Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy