Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ME WANTEE! New bindings...

Poster: A snowHead
So pulled the trigger on a new board in the end-of-season sales - Jones Flagship now dwells in the board-bag while the old Triumph looks towards retirement or possibly repurposement ( ? ) as a bench...

Anyway. The old Burton Missions (circa 2006) are screwed to the new'n'lovely at the moment - and as new boots are calling next season, it's time for a change.

Looking for something on the stiffer-side of medium, maybe the Burton Malavita, Union Contact Pro or Rome Katana (if I can find them).

Thoughts, musings or shouts of "SIDEWAYS YOU FOOL! YOU FORGOT x" ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like my cartels a lot, but appreciate they are smack bang in the middle of medium and you want something stiffer. Union Factory seems to get good reviews in the stiffer category?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got some Union Forces - they replaced some Missions from about 06. They feel more responsive and direct, but I'm not sure if they're any stiffer. They certainly seem to fit my boots better. I like them a lot and if necessary would probably buy another set. One annoyance (and I've heard this from other Union owners) is that the aluminium heel cup moulding is secured into the 'plastic' base plate with a single screw cinching down. This can slip so the heel cup can slide out loosening the fit/adjusting the centreline of boot/board. They may have fixed this since i bought mine about four years ago.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways, Glide and slide in Otley (also online) are not doing boards next season so are selling of all their current stock at great prices. Was there a couple of weeks ago and they still had a great selection of bindings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Dot., but just checked their website - Doesn't look like they list all their stock on there if they had a great selection in store - only got 3 different bindings for sale - all Burton.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, damn. More likely they've sold a load. Sorry I couldn't help.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vita's are a bit soft for the Flag? Diodes are a better match - '15s aren't ridiculstiff. My '13 Cartels are more comfy though. Really wanted to like other bindings but for various reasons always end up back with Burton.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Burton missions are now firmer than cartels .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why put spaghetti on a Tbone steak ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Richard_Sideways, you probably wouldn't go wrong with Burton Diodes stiffness. I rode C60's and Co2's for years until Burton dropped them from the line up, i think the Diode is a mix of the two of them, i'm just not a fan of the 'holey' ankle strap. Currently, one of my quiver is Rossignol Experience bindings on a Rossignol Krypto and hands down they are the most responsive and comfortable bindings i've ridden in 20 years of snowboarding. They're now branded as the Rossignol XV Binding and IMHO would be a good fit with a Jones Flagship.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i'm a big fan of stiff freeride boards and have a few in the quiver, currently using union factory and ride el hefe out of the two the ride binding are by far the better product your gonna want pretty stiff boots for the flag aswell as it's a bit of a beast.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes. New boots are on the cards for next year and will certainly be stiffer than the old Vans.
Thanks @Backcountryboarder, hadn't considered the Rossignol offerings but will investigate.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grip tape is the new binding . . . not quite the joke it appears, it'll teach you more about board control than any thing else . . . You'll eat a lot of snow too.

Before you get all sanctimonious, try it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You mean no-boarding?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Union Contact Pros are definitely the wrong choice, Cartels are great as you probably know are stiffer, maybe the genesis or Union Asymbol (i think they're called that) which my mate has on a Jones MT and were really nice to ride. Had a few goes on his setup and was really good. My Cartels on my stiff Endeavor Next board worked perfectly for me. I had heard the Missions were stiffer on the highback I think but still in the mid range of stiffness.
latest report
Aren't the Asymbols just frighteningly expensive Factorys?
Had a look at the XV's - don't think they're for me as I'm sold on cap straps rather than over-the-top toe straps.
Cartels...hmm.
ski holidays
XV's can be worn over the top or cap straps @Richard_Sideways, i'm a cap strap fan too, would never go back to over the top straps. The toe strap is a solid foundation with an elastic/mesh type inner/centre which moulds to your boots. Cartels do look pretty sweet as well though.
Decisions, decisions Very Happy
snow report
Tough innit...
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Don't know boss. Mate had 'em and I tried 'em, thats pretty much it. Also they have 'purty' pictures of bison. TBH I wouldn't buy Union again unless it was the higher spec bindings made from ali or something. My Contact Pros look wrecked and they've only seen 6 days on the mountain. Hope they last but they do ride well and are as light as a feather!
snow report
Light is good - The flagship is noticeably lighter than the old Triumph, so it'd be a shame to garnish it a bit of a hefty old Hector.
*think* it's going to be the Cartels... found some on the InternetTatBazaar £135 from Germany... Would buy local but nobodys got 'Medium'
snow report
Thats a good price for a good pair of bindings. Enjoy.

I've got a new snowboard on its way over from the US at the moment - Mountain Twin. Love the new snowboard kit excitement Very Happy
snow report
Gainz wrote:
My Contact Pros look wrecked and they've only seen 6 days on the mountain. Hope they last but they do ride well and are as light as a feather!

I've had exactly the same, rode my new Contact Pros last week in Cervinia and all the paint has come off the ratchets, and there's a hole in the left boot (ankle?) strap.

They feel great to ride in, much more flexible than I'm used to and really light, but I'm not happy about how durable (or otherwise) they seem to be!
snow report
Richard Sideways,

Are you Jye's Mate? Matt here anyway..

If you can get them - 2013 Diodes are worth a look. They're the only ones with 100% carbon highback that's stiff and super light, plus don't have the weird ankle straps. Swapping toestrap for Gettagrips gives just a bit more oomph, too. IIRC they are about 850g all up. Later years use a fiberglass/carbon mix and are not the answer, though with the 13s you really need to know how to set up your gear 'cos there's no FLAD - the lean is affected by the rotation, which effects heel cup/centre of mass type stuff regards overhang heel edge vs. toe edge. Plus they're reflex which only gives you 3 holes not 5 and no stance width outside of std holes. I'm sure you follow. Once they're dialled they're amazing. I've got 20 weeks on mine and in top nick - some Yanks have question robustness in reviews. For freeride and carve they're top. I've got Mediums, I would only recommend use with burton boots though with smallform factor 'cos heel cups are tight fit. Sorry if it sounds like I'm selling, I'm not - just think you should check 'em out before spalshing on something else
ski holidays
@Matt_Snow, Don't know a JYE i'm afraid. Did have a look at the Diodes - Really nice binding but don't think I can justify the cost at the moment - will keep an ear out for a set on big discount, but 'medium' (size 8 UK) seems to be the popular size so everywhere is out already.

@kat.ryb, oooh nice, the MT is the board i'd been lusting at for this season, but got talked around to the FS as better suited to my riding style and a good evolution from the old Triumph (which I've loved riding). Turns out my sister is in Chicago for 10 days on business... and it just so happens that there's a Burton store (plus others) in town... Twisted Evil

Thanks for the feedback on the Unions - I'd heard nowt but good things but if they're a bit suspect on durability, I think I'll stick to Burton.
ski holidays
If Missions (a few colourway choices) and a pair of SLX sz 8 are a option @£300 be quick ..in ss20 Oxford this week.
ski holidays
Epilogue: So it was my birthday yesterday and the kids (ably assisted by m'lady) correctly ascertained that daddy wanted that nice new set of Burton Cartels, so business has been duly taken care of... Idly thumbing through the manual and noted this at the end...

Quote:
In compliance with ISO Code 14573, you are required to use a leash at all times when strapped in.
Ummm ok, yeah I've seen a runaway board before now, and leashes are 'technically' a good way of countering attacks of blithering idiocy, but 'required' is a strong term, especially from an International Standard... Plus isn't a leash only really needed when you're not strapped to the damn thing?
snow report
I thought it was a rule in the USA but tbh I only saw a few people with leashes out there in Feb. It may have been Canyons where a sign did say 'leashes on' but I can't remember exactly. The leash should be on at all times if you have it and I think Burton mention it to stop their asses getting sued (probably).
ski holidays
Its in the other manufacturers too - but its one of those ISOs you have to pay for to read anything more about. Why leashes deserve a whole ISO standard is beyond me - it's string...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gainz wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Don't know boss. Mate had 'em and I tried 'em, thats pretty much it. Also they have 'purty' pictures of bison. TBH I wouldn't buy Union again unless it was the higher spec bindings made from ali or something. My Contact Pros look wrecked and they've only seen 6 days on the mountain. Hope they last but they do ride well and are as light as a feather!

I contacted the UK distributor for Union and they have sent me a replacement strap for my bindings after their six days of use on the mountain - might be worth you contacting them?

Was pretty impressed, especially given that I bought them in France (and openly told them this on my email!)
ski holidays
Need to wait till you decide on what new boot, and get them , then make sure they fit the new binding too ....better tpo wait and pay a little more and get ones that fit and are actually what you need to compliment your new board...so ultimate set up

Then get some lessons cos I hear your rubbish NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
@winterfunman, yeah, but ME WANTEEE! You can see the problem... Madeye-Smiley

Plus now I have new shinyness, my natural rubbishness will simply melt away and I'll start riding like I do in my head. The adverts said so.
snow conditions
But u don't NEEEEEEEEDDDDEEE them YET
snow report
i have some brand new mission est bindings for sale
snow conditions
Thanks, but I'm sorted now, thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy