Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Lofoten Islands 2015: The (Sea) Eagle Has Landed

Poster: A snowHead
While I agree with almost everything mountainaddict says above, I'd say the ski standard for this trip is a bit higher. There were at least a couple of times when falling wasn't an option at all (eg skiing a steep icy face with no obvious place to slow down if you did fall), and a couple others when good technique was important to be able to enjoy the downhill (and not take forever).

But none of us would win any competitions, and of course you can do skitouring and avoid more gnarly terrain.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd add that a significant factor for this kind of trip (that is, to the back end of nowhere) is your mindset. You have to be prepared for down days (today), skinning in rain, skiing on less than ideal snow, shortish runs with a large number of slick transfers...in the wind, sudden changes of plan and a reliable sense of humour snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I can sense the enormity of that significant factor.

BTW - You missed out "sharing confined and smelly places with an inbred weirdo" wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing

That's where the sense of humour comes in!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sharkymark, You skiing on Whitedot Ranger CL's there?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No but offpisteskiing and horizon are
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As Mark was saying, down day today so we did a road trip to A and took some pics:

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@horizon, how you liking the Ranger CL's? Nice photos btw, enjoy!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great reading thanks (just glad Admin hasn't installed a smell option given that last photo!!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@horizon, was that a snorkeling Russian sub?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Sharkymark, You skiing on Whitedot Ranger CL's there?

99.9 % sure Scott Powd'Airs

Snow coverage lower down looks like here, bit sketchy to say the least.

Have they not had a good season?

Mates are off to Alta in May hope there'e better coverage.

I've done five trips up to Lyngen (always going end April) on the boat, and when the weather closed we just sat it out and then went out when it had tracked through, as you had nigh on 20hrs of daylight, so could go out at 18:00.

For one trip I did a DVD film (sort of before popularity of YouTube) though YouTube changed the music when I split the DVD into three and it's so bad but if you Google "Youtube Weathercam Lyngen" you'll get all three.

Off out to the Galibier sector with the dogs now Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow has been significantly better this year than last year. The difference is that while the high pressure is sitting where it is over the UK, it's sending mild stormy weather up from the SW. The westernmost Islands tend to get less snow. It's still down to sea level 50km east of here. Better weather here today and snow line has dropped. Off for a bit of couloir bagging once done with brekkie.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
While I agree with almost everything mountainaddict says above, I'd say the ski standard for this trip is a bit higher. There were at least a couple of times when falling wasn't an option at all (eg skiing a steep icy face with no obvious place to slow down if you did fall), and a couple others when good technique was important to be able to enjoy the downhill (and not take forever)
Apologies Sharkymark. I did mean to include a rider in my post to that effect! ie that there is some really mellow stuff out there for people just getting into touring - the Silvretta region near Ischgl for example. Nice comfy huts too.

Excellent trip report and photos by the way Very Happy .

Quote:
I've done five trips up to Lyngen (always going end April) on the boat
Which boat Weathercam? IIRC there are a few options Puzzled Never been but Lyngen definitely on our to do list wink.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 10-04-15 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very impressed with this thread. An inspiring group of people taking risks, and hopefully attaining the rewards, of some extreme skiing. For some people, trying skis or snowboards for the first time in front of the ski resort is risky enough. For others, simply getting down a black run is risky enough to deserve a few shots at the bar. A few more people risk life and limb going off-piste and if this year is any indication, many people die as a consequence of avalanche, tree hits etc.. However, you guys not only throw yourselves off mountains, but you do it in the middle of nowhere. No ski lifts to take you up, no groomed runs to tell you what is safe, no ski patrol if you get in trouble, no helicopters, no . . . very little indeed. I take my hat off to you. Whether it coincidental or not, it was only last night where I spent hours looking thru images of a snow covered area so remote that the very risks of being there caused excitement. I have taken many risks in my life and I'm up for just about anything, but after viewing some of the Google earth images of this place, I was shakin in my boots!

I came across Heard Island as I was looking for a location west of Australia (way west as it turns out) where I could see weather patterns that would be an early heads-up for snow generating systems for Eastern Australia. That aside (and still unachieved), the attached link shows a place where you folks would appear to be in your element. Big Ben, downunder . . . . . . .

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Mawson+Peak,+Heard+Island+and+McDonald+Islands/@-53.095261,73.5054019,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s107480064!2e1!3e10!4m2!3m1!1s0xb301527d71285a79:0x1eede2d8ec04e7bf?hl=en
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, having skied in both Lyngen AND Lofoten I can happily say that Lofoten stands head and shoulders above Lyngen in so many ways, despite not being the 'in' place (though judging by numbers in the East this year that may sadly be changing).
snow report
@offpisteskiing, I think most people would be blown away by skiing any where in that part of the world !

First time I went we had one French La Grave guide with us (in addition to our Swedish guide) who was tagging along (Busman's Holiday) and he was totally amazed by the experience.

Even skiing in the resort of Narvik offers superb skiing with breath taking views down to the sea.

As you know, guides are now taking groups further afield such as Greenland and Svarlbard and my mates are going to Alta in May.

I have not been up there for six or more years, as I'm happy with my lot as it were as I'm fortunate to be out full time in the mountains now.

Skiing and staying on a boat is a great experience, though very pricey, and something that is great if you are only limited to one or two weeks a year.

This is a great article that captures the sail / ski experience

And in response to @mountainaddict, this is the boat http://www.gox.no/
snow report

Today begun when we awoke to 'snow'* and decided to go low-level couloir-bagging, considering the forecast. The beauty of the Lofoten Islands (and a almost unique compared to other Arctic destinations) is the ability to spot lines from the road, park up, boot up, bag a blinder, return to car, discuss said line over a coffee then go out and bag another one. This is how today went. The first couloir doesn't exist in any guide book or on the Internet so we were pretty happy with that. 'Snow'* turned to snow at about 200m, above which this pic was taken. Classic Lofoten conditions.
snow report
The morning involved a serious bushwhack - what you can see in this photo is only the last, easy bit. We're aiming for the couloir in the top centre-left:

Richard (again!) going straight up in the couloir:

Skittles about to drop in:
ski holidays
^ it wasn't this vertical. Admin, a rotate button might be useful wink
ski holidays
The afternoon skin-up. I had to give up the last 20 minutes as my skins did not attach to my skis, and my head did not attach to the task. Another 600m vertical (about 500 for me)

latest report
* rain
latest report

Offpisteskiing showing off his Whitedot Ranger CLs on the way up to couloir number 2.
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
The first couloir doesn't exist in any guide book or on the Internet so we were pretty happy with that

And as we know, you haven't completed the descent until you've bragged about it on the Internet so that makes it a first descent for Team Extrem Wink
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
The beauty of the Lofoten Islands (and a almost unique compared to other Arctic destinations) is the ability to spot lines from the road, park up, boot up, bag a blinder, return to car.........

The other great bonus, which many forget to mention, although obvious, is that you are doing that from sea level, which is considerably easier than doing it 2500m +
snow conditions
@Arno, it's going on my CV wink
snow report
Chaps, I'm blown away by this report, even better than your last one. Despite the 'snow'*, poor viz and gale force winds, it looks like an absolute adventure! Props to Team Extrem aka The Skittles Very Happy Cool
snow report
@Sharkymark, Did you name it \ them ?
snow conditions
@Zero_G, thanks; glad you're enjoying it!*

@AndAnotherThing.., Simon's Slot and Costin's Crack have been mentioned.

* 'cos we are snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sharkymark wrote:

Were you using those new fangled Black Diamond anti-gravity skins? wink
latest report
Very good crampons
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, that reminds me... More jewellery.
ski holidays
Damn guys, this looks awesome!! Lofoten is getting bumped a little higher up the list (again)!
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
Very good crampons

Worth their weight in gold when you need them! Looking good there, somewhat jealous..... Going green
ski holidays
Well, the Lofotens have pulled the stops out for our last day: a marginal aurora display last night, an otter and last but certainly not least, a return to epic snow to sea level snowHead Today is gonna be awesome
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, have a good one Smile
snow conditions
gorgeous pics - thanks
snow report
Quote:
Skiing and staying on a boat is a great experience, though very pricey
Had a look at that website Weathercam - looks fantastic. No prices though - says to contact them for details. To save me doing so (and then being bombarded by e mails etc Confused ) can you give me a ball park figure? Presumably cheaper than the £2.5-3k weeks/boat trips out of the luxurious Lyngen Lodge?
latest report
@mountainaddict, pm-ed you
latest report
'The Skittles' is a great name! Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Svarlbard

(has no "r")

Take a guide, and firearms.
Several 1000 polar bears in Svalbard, and they have been known to bite.

Been avoiding this thread, cos I know the scenery is going to be stunning. And now I'm going to have to go there. Especially having family that originates from Lofoten.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy