Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Lofoten Islands 2015: The (Sea) Eagle Has Landed

Poster: A snowHead
Indeed, I almost laughed out loud.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Those fish heads are on their was to Nigeria and Gambia...they really are.
The bodies go to established markets,what used to be waste, i.e. the heads, go to west Africa.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Time for
http://youtube.com/v/cTpUVAcvWfU
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great Fotos
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rungsp, indeed, that's exactly what offpisteskiing said - fish heads go to Nigeria.

(and skittles go back to their offices...)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another nice trip, best of both worlds ?

http://www.skitour.fr/sorties/des-lofoten-aux-alpes-de-lyngen,65485.html

And I love the image of the "group", average age ???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Finally back home and sorting through piccies from 20 days on Lofoten... Here are a few more action shots from this week:

Slope with a (sea) view:

Sharkymark:

horizon:

Richard:

Arno:

horizon:

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing, thanks for the pics, and of course for a great trip! (don't mention how the weather was the following week...)

I think this thread is missing some quotes from Yngvar, our excellent host at Kraemmervika Rorbuer:

One of the skittles: I'm thinking of bringing my wife here next year.

Yngvar: Yes, well, wives are... in general, I'm skeptical about wives.

Yngvar: I don't like busy season. No time to talk to guests. I like off-season.

One of the skittles: When is off-season in Lofoten?

Yngvar: Ten months a year.

Yngvar launches himself into a complex story about a priest and a bishop and goes on for a while.

irbis: Wait a moment, who died, the priest or the bishop?

Yngvar: The priest died.

irbis: Aha.

Yngvar: They both died.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@horizon, priceless... Money can't buy quality chat like that Happy

More piccies to follow...

(PS the weather the following 10 days was mixed... As usual...)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm yet to sort through my pics: a job for this weekend if it's raining wink

Epic, epic trip*. Many thanks to offpisteskiing.

* Of course, it was actually terrible and no one should bother going Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark wrote:

Surely a rainy weekend = spend one day getting the new mtb incredibly muddy then spend the next day cleaning it and dismantling and reassembling various components, no?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And a few more pictures from our last day on Kangerutind:

Loads more pictures and words on the blog:

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

Surely a rainy weekend = spend one day getting the new mtb incredibly muddy then spend the next day cleaning it and dismantling and reassembling various components, no?

You've got me worked out!

Great pics and blog entry, offpisteskiing snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
great stuff.

@offpisteskiing, albeit I'm intrigued .. Picture 5 on 10:46 post [ And a few more pictures from our last day on Kangerutind: ] - where are the tracks?!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll, either Arno has a pair of hover-skis on secret test, or there is a slight roll in terrain... (I prefer the former)
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, must admit I thought the same!
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, @Markymark29, Laughing let's go with the hover skis.
snow report
A few more shots from week 2...

Transfer days = great weather this year (Sod's law in full effect...); scenery to die for:

A shot for all the Bo Selecta fans out there... "It'll be proper Bø I tell thee...":

Day 1 very similar to much of week 1... Day 2 we quite literally got blown off Geitgaljern from about 550m - good snow on the way down though:

Finally the forecast blue skies showed up (about 6 hours late!), in time for a quick late afternoon hit above the lodge:

Norris:

Jack:

Summit team!:

Summit view down to the lodge:

Opening up after the steep summit slope:

...more to follow...
snow report
And a few more... Spotted from the road - no info online, classic exploratory ski touring!

latest report
I've wanted to go skiing among the Norwegian Fjords since someone first posted a TR from Lyngen Lodge on here years ago, these pics just make me want to go more although I'd have to improve my fitness and skiing (although my kick turns may be up to standard by the look of it NehNeh )

ps. It does look very Scottish in a lot of those pics, weather included!
ski holidays
My mid-summer trip to the Lofotens, inspired by this thread, starts next week. I'm spending a few days en route, starting in Oslo where inter alia I'm visiting the Fram Museum. So reading biographies of Nansen and Amundsen - weeks of reading downloaded to my Kindle. The former was essentially one of the founders of "ski touring" as recreation. Before embarking on his polar exploration he'd done several rather foolhardy trips across the interior of Norway as a young man, with just a few bit of cheese and enormous hickory skis with leather bindings. His descriptions of the journeys - the joys of the downhill swoop after miles and miles of carrying skis up impossible gradients are awe- inspiring. If stuck out at night he put on an extra woolly jumper and had a few hours kip in the snow. He was also a pioneering scientist - never knew that before embarking on Roland Huntford's biography.

No wonder the Norwegians did better than the Brits in getting to the South Pole (and back again, alive).
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
@offpisteskiing, It looks a bit worrying, doesn't it! I can't figure out why the phone processed it like that. !

THe reason for the propeller distortion is because the camera is CMOS. It will readout one line at a time (rolling shutter), so there is a timelag in the lines and the propellers look bent.

Some readout from top to bottom and some frommiddle to top/bottom so you get weird effects like breaks.

Oh I am sad!!!!! But I do work for an imaging company so I have an excuse to be a geek.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, thanks for that; the answer had actually been bothering me!

@pam w, how was (is) it?
snow report

Not bad
snow report

not bad at all
snow report

Fishy
snow conditions

Henningsvaer. Our boat is bottom right - stern to the photographer. Not my usual class of vessel!
ski holidays

midnight sun
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Very Happy
snow report
Very nice; what was the temperature like?
latest report
Temperature varied - the second picture above it was pretty warm. Probably around 18 or 19 degrees and windless. Several members of the crew swam, from one of those lovely sandy beaches, but not I. It was so beautiful just sitting on the boat looking at it all. It was never really cold, but out on the water in any amount of wind I was very happy to wear merino base layers, a down mid layer, heavy duty oilies, sealskin gloves and a hat.
latest report
We had scarcely any rain, which was nice. some good sunny days but they were often pretty windless.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy