Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for starting a carved turn

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Sitting on chair lifts and watching other skiers, there seems to be a lot of folk (in Schaldming at least!) that slide one leg in front of the other to help initiate a 'cruising carved turn'. They seem to be doing this having completed a fully carved 180 with their skis are horizontal across the slope.

My logic says that you might slide the existing uphill/new downhill ski forward and the existing down hill ski backward. This would help face the upper body downhill, weight the uphill/new down hill ski and naturally help start a turn.

However, I'm convinced that when I have seen people do this they actually do the opposite, move the existing downhill ski forward! This would tend to move the body in the wrong direction, but would make sense from the point of view that the existing downhill ski would be the new uphill that would travel less arc distance.

Could anyone clarify (in time for next years trip!!)

Thanks

nick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick, welcome to snowheads.
It was standard old school to initiate the turn by sliding the old downhill leg forward and tucking the old uphill knee in behind the other, thus completing the turn and forming a nice A frame. This was necessary as with ones legs close together you needed room for your boots.
New school in theory everything stays square, in practice there will be movement, and if you are a racer a lot of movement.
One tip for starting a carved turn, which I might add is quite rare, is lots of patience in the transition. If you find you have a habit of splitting your feet, a little shuffle of the feet might help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is pretty good explanation of modern skis and modern technique...and some good drills. Start on GREEN runs (really!!)

http://youtube.com/v/UGn62uxnhjg
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you look at a series of pictures of a modern racer you can see the following:

At the transition the skier has the skis square. As the turn progresses and the force in the turn increases the inner (uphill) ski tends to get a bit ahead. This is because the inside knee is bent whereas the outside leg is fairly straight. Because of the limited ankle flex achievable in a ski boot the inside foot gets ahead of the outside foot.

As the turn ends the skier gets back over the skis resulting in a square stance at the next transition. As that takes place the outside ski has to advance to catch up, which is what you were observing.

This should all happen fairly naturally without the skier "trying"to advance one ski or the other. What you are seeing is a result of the biomechanics of the skier.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, nice video.
@nickthefarrow, one more thing to consider, when you do a fully carved turn you will go very fast, even if the ground is not that steep. The only control of your speed when carving will be the turn shape, ie flat S will be fast and big C shapes slower.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I'm about ready to start working on this. I anyone wants to team up with me at the EOSB for a morning on a green to practice let me know. : )
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you have one ski in front of the other it blocks your hips/pelvis from getting good angulation seperation.

If you have your skis square it doesn't.

You can test this at home by positioning your feet, use a chair to brace yourself and start leaning....you will soon see what I mean.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

This would help face the upper body downhill, weight the uphill/new down hill ski and naturally help start a turn.

This is where you've gone down the wrong path.

The direction of the skis (or for that matter, hip) facing is often independent of where the body is facing.

You really don't want to be swinging your body all over the place as the skis going left to right to left to right... lots wasted energy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Too many variables to give a clear answer. Depends on; what you want, snow conditions, bravery etc. Ski position can change for many reasons, so it's really a case of doing what's right for the circumstances.
Not something you will really learn here.
Next season find yourself a good instructor who will help you out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy