Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long list of criteria for Canada or US trip

Poster: A snowHead
Right so I completely respect various "where-to-go" NA trip questions have been asked ad infinitum before, but haven't seen anything along lines of what I'm looking for so any help very much appreciated!

So what we're looking for (winter next year, likely March):

- enough for around 4 days skiing; me quite advanced, my wife pretty much a beginner. I'm not overly fussed about a big area. Much prefer good ambiance and on-mountain eateries to clocking up the miles.
- somewhere with reasonable daycare for our 2-year old
- reasonable prices (couldn't believe the $100+/day I've been seeing; something around $70/day with discount for multi-day more in budget)
- somewhere with a interesting town/village to base ourselves in. Hate purpose-built places. Don't need great nightlife (see 2-year old!) but a relaxing bar and local eateries would be good.
- nearish by hire car (within 4.5 hrs) to, ideally, major international airport can do non-stop from UK - thinking Denver, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle
- interesting non-ski activities as our full holiday will be more like 2 weeks. We love wildlife trips but open to other nature/culture places of interest to visit.
- ideally off the beaten-track tourist-wise but understand this may conflict with airport criteria (getting used to limitations having a kid places on us!)
- first time in NA after decades skiing in Europe and Japan so feel it would be a waste to go somewhere with heavy snow

So my research so far has given:

- Denver for trip to either Crested Butte or Taos. However former seems bit pricey while latter seems poor for a beginner
- Red Lodge in Montana - looks ideal bar need for transfer to get to Billings . Also while Yellowstone in winter would be mind-blowingly good, activities aren't realistic with a 2-year old.
- Calgary for Banff/Lake Louise/Kicking Horse. Banff itself seems like it may be a bit disneyfied while best looking skiing is at Lake Louise which is a fair trek away each day (but which itself has almost no decent-priced accom). So was thinking of basing at Golden and focusing on KH with perhaps a day at LL and other activities around Banff (which seem more small-child friendly than Yellowstone).

Last option looking best at moment. Only concern is Golden doesn't sound particularly interesting as a place but hopefully I have this wrong. Any thoughts/ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Deibitto, Golden hasn't too much going on really - its a rail working/ logging town, and small at that. Couple of restaurants IIRC and some local bars. But may have changed havent been for some years.
KH is a good mtn BUT needs the use of the gondola to get up really. This creates longish queues when busy and if its windy closes. Eagle Eye does provide good food though Smile
Banff is less disneyfied than Whistler, has some activity going on and you could find other stuff to do when not skiing. LL drive takes about 40 mins and Sunshine takes about 20.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Banff is fabulous and I would never describe it as Disneyfied at all. Great town with history and character. Lots of great places to eat. Lots to do non skiing. Can highly recommend Snowy Owl dog sledding, and Alpine helicopter tours. There are trails. museums. 1st nation culture/art on display and you are in the national park so there's always the possibility of seeing some nature. The skiing at Louise and Sunshine is fantastic., Norquay's OK for a half day or night skiing There is no queuing, wahey did I mention no lift queues!! The views on the bus back from a days skiing I will never tire of. I have no experience of any of the other options, but for the lady and I Banff is a heart place, and one we shall return to again in the not to distant future. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crested Butte and most Colorado resorts poss too high for a 2 year old with base at nearly 3000m???

We went to Big White in Canada this year with our 3 year old. Excellent accommodation, convenient (once you get there), great little village with some good bars and restaurants, waaaaay cheaper than the US, very good day care facilities and lessons for the kids, a good mix of skiing for beginners to advanced, dog sledding, horse sleigh rides, tubing, ice skating etc .... drawbacks are its 2 flights to get there and its a purpose built village, though is tastefully done. Might be worth a look....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not "family oriented", but I know those places...

Denver, it seems a shame to go there and not drive along I70, so I'd focus on Colorado stuff if that's your target. Not steep, and mostly not cheap. Places not catered for by mass tour operators do exist and are easy to reach by car. Some of the smaller places are kind of secret but I like them a lot better than the big tourist sinks.

Taos isn't easy to get to, you really want to fly into Albuquerque (no direct flights I'd guess) and it's still a fair drive. A terrible place for beginners I'd say though. Otherwise an absolutely brilliant tourist free place with some surprisingly good food if you know where to go. Snow is dependent on the weather of course... this season sounds like it was great. I went there via Phoenix, and this year a ton of places (eg Flag) reportedly had great snow.

Lake Louise has the best hotel/ restaurant in that area, but if price is your main thing then that isn't a factor. As someone said, Golden is what it is, although it's much more tourist focused than it used to be. I'm not sure why you'd go there particularly. Take a shuttle into Kelowna and try Big White or (my personal favourite of these two) Silver Star. This year Silver Star was better than the more widely advertised nearby places for snow.

Canada is generally extremely child friendly and the ski schools at BW/ SS look particularly good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm just going to throw Jasper in the mix depending on the time of year. it can be cold . But there is a load of non-skiing things to do; skate at park lodge, x country ski, maligne canyon ice walk, wildlife etc.

Golden doesn't have a huge heap going on. Maybe pick a place with a pool for the little one?

Douglas Fir in Banff is good for little ones.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Seems I was too presumptuous regarding Banff - an instinctive (and probably a little snobbish) wariness I have with anywhere that has such a huge international tourism profile. Sometimes I suppose the rep is simply deserved! Will check out Big White/ Silver Star - don't want to have to transfer with flights but may be able to take some days out at connection point to make it doable. Jasper (Marmot?) too hadn't been on my radar so will review. Essential point is we want to feel like it's been a holiday to Alberta/BC/Colorado/NM (wherever it turns out to be) where we got to know the place as well as had a good time skiing; and didn't only meet other tourists.

Good point Nickr on altitude - shouldn't push it despite baby's East African heritage! Definitely leaning towards Canada as entry points in the US are Denver (surrounding resorts just too pricey) or California (one place in NA I've been before albeit not to ski).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The daycares at both LL and SSV have excellent reputations-both run to very high, regulated standards. Banff does have a lot to offer. It's a little touristy but definitely not Disneyfied, with lots to offer for all ages. And as many people overlook, winter is off-season in the Rockies so even the more touristy towns are quieter in winter than they are in the craziness of summer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Deibitto, on reflection you should perhaps also put Fernie on your list. Great mountain and a really nice "real" town with some great bars and restaurants in a very laid back atmosphere. Not sure about childcare and off slope diversions though as we were there pre kids!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Deibitto, Jackson Hole? The town is pretty genuine, as it started out as a centre for dude ranching in the early C20th. It's a very short transfer from the airport and Yellowstone is a real possibility for a day trip - a 2yr old would be fine on a tour bus, I think.

Jackson isn't traditionally associated with early intermediates, but the newish Casper lift and the Apres Vous areas add up to enough space for learners to play.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny Jones, Direct UK flights ? but there is plenty to do around there for the rest of the time, and a day at Targhee too.

Wouldn't bother with Fernie, not that much to when not skiing really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I loved Banff. Stunning scenery, nice town (not Disneyfied at all), and good ski areas. I actually thought Sunshine Village had the best skiing, although LL is spectacular. Norquay has some superb runs and it was so quiet. We had a day off in the middle of our 10-day trip, and did a walk along a river to a frozen waterfall. Sulphur Mountain is good for a trip as well, and the hot springs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bones, didn't see the direct flight requirement. Jackson certainly fails there, but you can turn it to your advantage by taking a stopover in your gateway airport. A day in New York at one end and LA at the other is a fine way to extend a skiing trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones, Ahh, wondered- but agree with the rest of your comments.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from an amazing powder day at SSV-40cm in the last day and still snowing. We had a dry March this year, but that wasn't typical. March and April are usually the best months here--maybe something else to factor in.
snow conditions
Hi @Deibitto,
I started to read your post and before I finished I had already thought ...
I've got to tell this guy about Kicking Horse and Revelstoke.

Golden is about an hour from Lake Louise which probably has the best beginners areas.
Actually the beginners area in KH is pretty good too.

I'm totally bowled over by this area .. I call it Gods Back Yard.

I spent a two days a Revelstocke in December, I was impressed how much skiing they can have from just three lifts.
2 hours on the Greyhound from Golden, I'm told the scenery in that pass is fantastic, shame it was dark Sad

Tip: Buy your ski tickets in advance at Coscos (cash & carry) in Calgary. Big discounts.
Book with "Canadian Affair" fly Air Transat Wednesday to Wednesday or Saturday Cheap and comfy out of Gatwick

I'm looking forward to taking my 3 year old granddaughter there before she gets a bus pass.

There is not much in the way of Night Life in Golden, but it does have a few resturants and bars.
Revelstoke is mad! I love it.

Lake Louise is very hotel oriented ... I cant imagine a night out there. I like "Lodge" up on the hill, if you go to the top floor.

Banff can be very good too, we got stuck there in December because the snow was too heavy to carry on.
The Caribou Lodge came to our rescue and gave us a bargain room, very comfy.
Great night out in the Oirish Pub and also Wild Bills.

I hope I get invited out again next season, I'm just so lucky to have been.
snow report
@Joules2210, You are so lucky living in Canmore!
snow report
@gryphea, Your a lucky lad too, living there!
Another thing to do ...
Went "sledding" with the Sled Necks and Ice fishing ...
Trip of a lifetime.

Lets not forget the drive from Banff up to Lake Louise ..
I defy anyone not to believe in an almighty after seeing his handywork along that valley.
snow conditions
@DrLawn, I'm a lass. And we are lucky. But the oil price recession is biting here in Calgary.
snow report
Red Lodge is probably a good call. Town is small and walkable with decent eating and accommodation at least in summer affordable. But it's a pita to get to from UK.

Why is the lift pass sticker price a big deal? You can probably bag a restricted season pass for many places under $500 if you want to do a bit more.
snow report
Not had a chance to check replies for a few days, so thanks all for the feedback - some very useful ideas. @DrLawn, good shouts on Air Transat (finding it hard to get a dodgy experience with Transaero out of my head when I read that name) and picking up tickets at Coscos. Will hire a car for transport.

@Dave of the Marmottes, we won't have long actually skiing (approx 4 days worth) so season passes no matter how cheap are highly unlikely to be a consideration. We'll also need to factor costs for childcare and lessons and rental for my wife all of which tend to be correlated to pass prices. I'm used to prices like €40/day for a pass and €40/hour for a private lesson in Italy so when factoring in all costs in NA it is a steep mark-up and one that I have to keep in control top make the trip doable. Respect with some planning and early booking I should get discounts on the list prices (which seem to operate as complex a pricing policy as UK trains...) but doesn't seem enough to make many of the big Colorado resorts affordable, particularly when considering accommodation as well.

@Jonny Jones, some time in New York to break the journey is definitely an option if we did go for US.
snow report
I think Air transat pulled out of the Calgary route mid season last year, I nearly booked with them. I heard they put customers who had paid on other airlines. Canadian affair would be able to tell you if there's any news for next season, they're a subsidiary company.
ski holidays
Rogg - Air Transat have pulled Calgary from the UK for winter 2015/2016 - we have a booking with Canadian Affair for Xmas 2015 and after much chasing they have moved us to the Air Canada scheduled flight out of Heathrow (and paid the ski carriage for the party which was the appeal of AT)
snow conditions
@ClubCanadian, when I flew with Air Canada this year I was told I had to prebook my ski carriage, but that I had to pay in the airport at checkin. When I arrived I had my luggage allowance plus my snowboard bag and told the lady it was pre booked. She called out to a colleague was a ski bag checked luggage, tagged it and told me I didn't have to pay. Puzzled I though Air Canada was nicer than Air Transat as an airline, better food, nicer in flight entertainment etc.
snow report
Whitefish Mountain Resort, Montana

Fly into Calgary. Driving loop in your 2-week holiday to take in Whitefish, Glacier National Park, Alberta National Parks.

http://skiwhitefish.com/favorites/trailmaps/
snow report
Guess I don't really get it. Unless you are flying for free or out there for other business. Your lift pass budget means you are restricting yourself to 2nd division hills when the delta is a drop in the ocean compared to overall travel costs. Nothing wrong with 2nd div of course ( I've had a great time at many lower profile places) but they aren't necessarily the all singing/dancing experience that many Euros are looking for in their first trip.

Far better value to be had in Europe for that length of trip.
latest report
Consider becoming a member at Costco and picking up passes there in Calgary on your way through, if you want cheaper prices.

Sad to see Air Transat has dropped the route.
snow report
" - reasonable prices (couldn't believe the $100+/day I've been seeing; something around $70/day with discount for multi-day more in budget) "

Is this speaking to total captured per diem? If so this was practical in 1965, but not today. Or is this just for lodging?

Someone might want to contact the cheese monger Deibitto and let him know that one sound idea within Colorado is to consider Leadville - BASE elevation 10,200 feet as a possibility. It's a realistic 3.0 maximum hour drive in good weather from DIA following his assumed nonstop BA flight from LHR, the town is altogether simple to put it mildly, skiing at Ski Cooper (just what he's begging for and cheap) is ten minutes easy drive away and the Super 8 Motel, owned and operated by Polish nationals who are fanatics for cleanliness, order and quality is around $75.00 USD per room with more hot water, quiet, comfortable rooms in toto than Heinz have beanz in England or tomato in Obamastan.

Crested Butte will break his bank as will Taos.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about Panorama its a 3:30 drive from Calgary, great skiing, good ski school. A few good places to visit on the way. If you know your going to a resort in Canada its worth checking online with the resort in summer a season pass is often less than the cost of 8 days skiing, this pass can then be used to get 25% off in other resorts.
We have bought lift tickets from costco they look at the card you explain you live in UK then they accept the card.
Big White and Silver star both great have good ski schools worth taking a day off to drive down to some of the wineries in the Okanagan.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy