Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video critique - of the video, not the skiing (please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just made a couple of quick shorts from a week in Les Trois Vallees and was hoping for a bit of feedback before I dedicate myself to the main edit.

Tree Run - watch in 1080p in all the glory of 60FPS

http://youtube.com/v/D2HD2L0y-ck

Preview - watch in 1080p and remember how good 60FPS looked

http://youtube.com/v/l0jr5Qkyc0k

Thanks folks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still trying to get my gopro vids to work with windows 8 laptop......soddin nitemare 😟😟😟
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm no video expert and am still struggling to do anything sensible with GoPro my kids gave me for Christmas. I think that looks interesting - I like the fact that the viewer can see how you are choosing your line. And at the end, where you stop and look up - it's good to see that view, however briefly. A lot of the GoPro footage gives too little idea of the wider context, as the immediate surroundings just rush past.

A video of a holiday, posted recently, including some footage of friends, lifts, village etc. This might seem rather old fashioned but I suspect that in future years it'll be more interesting to look back on than just ski footage. When you look back through your boxes of old photos, which do you enjoy the most?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For my tastes, the preview is too slow moving. If this is building up to some faster action later then fine, but as it is I find it a bit boring. You have to wait over a minute for the intro and timelapse sequence to finish - you could easily half that. Also, it is a bit of a random collection of clips at this stage. Often, when I make these types of videos, I try to tell the story of the holiday, so I would have clips from the airport and train station first, followed by the cable car and then the skiing, as that is the natural order. I would then interspace other clips like the helmet pov or the timelapse as I saw fit.

On a more technical note, what software are you using? It looks as if there is some ghosting on the shots with more movement. If you are using Sony Vegas, you need to use the 'disable resample' option to get rid of this. Also, whatever you are using for the slow motion is destroying the video quality. If you are doing this in gopro studio, you may want to experiment with the flux option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think slow motion works best if done very parsimoniously - if I notice it, then like transitions then it's probably overdone. Often people will use it on one specific naturally time-limited thing like a trick or a spray or something, so the viewer isn't wondering when it's going to stop.

Maybe try pointing the helmet camera up a fraction? That way you'd get a little more sense of where you're going, and more "reference" (which makes this type of footage easier on the viewer).

Story-wise, it depends who your audience is. If it's me, then I'm looking for skiing and I want to see at least a taster of it it quickly.

--
I found that GoPro video worked "out of the box" with a clean Windows 8.1 install recently, although it works on any machine I've tried it with. There are likely forums where people fix that kind of issue..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Any go pro expert able to help? We are away at the moment with a hired hero 3 and trying to import video clips to a MacBook. According to the instructions when connecting to a Mac an icon should appear. This is not happening so we are trying to import through iPhoto. Managed a couple of imports but keep getting error messages and and can not import. Obviously with footage still on camera we have now filled the first of two memory cards. We still have another 32g to go but have 3 full days left so would prefer to import and then delete from card.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, @PollSki, @philwig, thank you all.

The main video will be all lifts, drinks and joviality Pam. Smile

I was worried the intro was too slow-moving and agree on the timelapse. I think I will shorten it all down when I use it for the main video.

I am using Sony Vegas so thanks for the heads up on the disable resample option. Do you think the flux option is actually better than slowing it down through Vegas? I know Flux uses false frames to smooth out the motion. I think I noticed the ghosting most on the 60fps video which uploaded to YouTube in 30fps.

The second clip was done on a chest strap and unfortunately, because of my pose, it ended up getting more ground than I had hoped. I'll see what footage I can rescue for the main video.

Really, really helpful input. I'm thick-skinned enough to know that, as a complete beginner to video editing, there is a heck of a long way to go!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes I managed to ruin quite a few videos before I learned about disable resample. Now I make sure I do it every time. I have not found a situation where it is better to leave this option on - I wish it could be turned off by default. Are you rendering at 30fps or 60fps? Usually you get ghosting when you render 60fps footage as 30fps and leave the disable resample on.
As for slow motion, I do like flux in GoPro Studio, but it becomes noticeable if there is a lot of detail in the background as this starts to blur like in your first video. In this case, I would probably leave flux off. I have to say I prefer the slow motion effects in Studio to those in Vegas, unless you use a plugin like Twixtor, but I wouldn't buy Twixtor now that flux is available in Studio.
Good luck and it would be good to see the final edit when you're done. Have fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy