Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski boots - buy end of season whilst in resort or wait till we get home?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're in Les Arcs at the moment and of course there are sales everywhere. We've decided its time to buy our own ski boots. We've been warned that they need to be fitted properly by an expert but didn't know whether its better to buy whilst in resort or when we get back home?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too many variables really. if you are a more advanced skier then a highly skilled boot fitter would probably be well worth visiting. If you are learning the basics then many boot fitters should be fine, as long as they make their recommendations on what your feet require and not on what the shop has in stock at the end of the season. If you are skiing for the rest of the week then I for one would prefer to buy in resort, as many people need a few tweaks to their boots over the first few days (grinding or blowing out the odd pressure point) and this is free from the fitter who has set you up. I would say that it is worth doing a shell length check and avoid any that are more than 1.5cm (maybe shorter for a performance fit) longer internally than your feet as after a week or two they will probably feel too big.

There are loads of previous threads on boots so I would read as much as I can online and then go to the shop and be totally honest about your current skill levels and what you realistically aspire to.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 31-03-15 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought I'd throw in a question of my own on this - after 6 weeks of skiing I've also decided to buy my first pair of ski boots. Is it better to pick up a bargain in the end of season sales now, knowing that I might not use them for a good few months. Or wait until the autumn when I'll start doing a few trips to the snow dome?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wills, if you are staying around for a few days and going skiing, then there is a lot to be said for getting in resort because you can have then adjusted - few boots fit perfectly without a bit to tweaking.
BUT, and it is a Big But, you need to be sure of your boot fitter.
I took snowheads advice and went with CEM's suggestion of Ski Nevada in Tignes Lac, and have a wonderful pair of Head S13s that are comfy all day long.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonpim, when my boots need replacing, I'm going to have to have a holiday in Tignes, even though we now own a place in Les Carroz! JoJo at Ski Nevada fitted both my husband and I for boots, and after a couple of tweaks in the first few days they have been super-comfy for the last three seasons. Painful boots are now a distant memory.......

@Wills, we found our bootfitter by asking around instructors, chalet owners, etc. Everyone we spoke to recommended JoJo. So it may be worth seeing if there is a consensus in Les Arcs in the same way. If there is, then I'd buy in resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy