Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Crampons

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a bit of a mission for Easter weekend, and I suspect I may want ski crampons at some point. I've never used them before.

My skis are DPS Lotus 120s mounted with old Dynafit TLT Speeds.

Sport Conrad have the crampons for a reasonable price (€56), but I'm not sure what size to go for. For a 120mm ski I'd have thought the 120mm crampons would be perfect, but Sport Conrad say max 118mm. Other places say 120mm is the inside of the crampons, so that should fit?? Next size up is 130mm. Having never used them before, I'm concerned that crampons much wider than the ski will be a bitch when sidehilling, getting snagged etc. Any thoughts o wise skin track gurus?

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail-shopinshop/pid_53/__/shop/prod/27001

Thanks

EDIT: spyderjon - I couldn't find them on your website, but if you have them I guess the 125mm BnD crampons would be ideal?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just checked dimensions on both my 90's and 100's - the 100 is the inside measurement - so it fits very snug on my 100mm waists like wise the 90 which goes on my 89's.

I would not like a lot of play in crampons as when you have to use them, as you rightly surmise, the last thing you want would be a lot of sideways movement of them, a few mm yes but not much more. That said split boarders tend to have a lot of play in theirs, bu there again that might explain why they are not good at icy traverses!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, you want then pretty tight mate
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dynafit sizing is very tight - I'd go larger.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You're not looking hard enough: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,284/category_id,64/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
€56 is a steal!

Dynafit changed how they measured/sized their crampons two season ago. On the latest versions the stated width is internal width of the crampon. As the crampon sits behind the toe binding it's over the narrowest part of the ski. Dynafit crampons are very tough so tweaking the width is difficult and could crack them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, haha I found those ones, I was wondering if you had the BnD ones too?

Sounds like you think the 120s should be ok though?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Black and Decker do crampons now?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
@spyderjon, haha I found those ones, I was wondering if you had the BnD ones too?

Sounds like you think the 120s should be ok though?

No, I don't do the B&D ones as the poor $ rate makes them too expensive.

I'd recommend taking an accurate measure of your ski width from 10-90mm behind the crampon slot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks

@Markymark29, http://www.bndskigear.com make after market stuff for various things - I have some of their leashes (via @spyderjon), and they're much better than the OG Dynafit leashes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, yeah I need to get some of them, lost a ski in deep pow and it went hurtling straight down. Dan did a dive on it as it flew past, and got it, it was gone I thought.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, I just tried 120mm Dynafit crampons on my Lotus 120'S, and although the tips clear the edges, they will not go more the 50% down without binding on the sidewall/edges. My 14/15 skis are 123mm at the crampon mount point, and the 120mm crampons are about 122mm internal. If your boot soles do not press the crampons all the way down, you might get away with it, but you would only get about 20mm snow penetration.

I use 130mm Dynafit crampons and as expected they clear the edges perfectly.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, Jon, I'm after a set of the leashes sometime, does yours include the $8 upgrade that the BnD guy talks about? I'll come down sometime after your EOSB trip and also sort the QK screws exchange at same time if ok. Please can you put a set of the leashes on one side for me? Cheers buddy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
@spyderjon, Jon, I'm after a set of the leashes sometime, does yours include the $8 upgrade that the BnD guy talks about? I'll come down sometime after your EOSB trip and also sort the QK screws exchange at same time if ok. Please can you put a set of the leashes on one side for me? Cheers buddy.

No problem. And yes, my B&D leashes are the latest spec Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, @altis, @spyderjon, @PowderAdict, @Markymark29, thanks all - 130mm it is!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, ten to one / sods law that now having bought them you'll get loads of snow over Easter and will not use them rolling eyes
snow report
@Weathercam, haha it is kinda looking that way right now! Mind you I won't be complaing if that's the case wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy