Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pre cut skins on a wider ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
my day tour set up of kastle fx94 with kastle glueless matching skin is a great set up , but for deeper days i am QK'ing my mx108 to take a touring binding , the skis are almost the same length and i am wondering if i can utilise the same skins on the wider skin , in real terms there would be an uncovered margin of approx 6mm along 3/4 of the effective side length of the ski . how much traction am i likely to loose on the ups ??
cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not really sure, but it may depend on how steep the slopes are and if you will be traversing a lot. I've recently tested touring using a fatter ski than the MX's with the new Atomic skins and they have been great, but I have only used them in fresh snow conditions. I would guess that on a wide ski it would be easy to slip back if trying to get grip on icy traverses, but 6mm is only a few more than the recommended about of base and edge to be showing. I shouldn't think that for fresh snow days you would notice much difference; hopefully a more experienced tourer will be along to give you feedback.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarpa, cheers that was my thinking and the profile of the skis is pretty similar
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They'll be fine touring in soft snow, but exposed sidehilling on firmer snow could get a little nerve-wracking. That's coming from skinning season before last on 118mm skis with skins cut (very roughly - with scissors Laughing - as I couldn't find the real cutter when cutting them for the 2nd time for another set of skis) for 110mm skis.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been skinning around Arolla this last week, and the upper slopes are pretty sun baked so using harscheisen all the time, and often only a small percentage of the base in contact on the steeper climbs.
I personally don't like any base showing so have my skins trimmed right up to the inside of the edges.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Read a thread about this sort of thing on TGR, and folks were suggesting you cut a slit down the middle of most of the skin leaving the ends 'closed'. So the skin will spread to the edges along most of the length of the ski. I cant confirm whether the result was good or bad though Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That would deffo be the way to go - superwide skis with full skins mean loads of resistance when you're sliding the skis forward, so this would give you plenty of grip where you need it, but minimise drag

Guides like the split skins for carrying a spare as they will fit any ski if a client drops one
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geoffers, That's why I like the new Atomic wide skins so much. The front 30% is a slick plastic to go over the front rocker section of the ski, it really does seem to decrease the glide resistance in deeper snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, thats spot on as i would only be on the wider skis if there was soft/deep snow on the agenda , if not the fx94 are perfect for anything other than a full on powder day Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geoffers, not sure i think of 108mm being "super wide " the guides we were with in canada were all on 112mm+ as their everyday skis Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy