Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt; any guidance before I book?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book somewhere for a week, leaving about 4th April. Zermatt seems to have good conditions so I'm thinking of becoming a Zermatt Newbie.

And advice/things I need to be aware of? We've skied Thyon a couple of times, but mostly go to France - and usually 3V.

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@t40ora, I know Zermatt pretty well.

What type of accommodation are you after / how many in your party / what level skier are you etc?

Please PM with any Qs.

Tony
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my opinion its best to get accommodation in the winklematt area near the matterhorn express (Furi lift) as it gets you quick access to most of the slopes so you can walk to the lift instead of waiting for the ski bus (there and back)

there are miles of pistes in Zermatt but its probably also worth going over to cervinia for one day as the blues /reds run down from the glacier for miles - but then you need 3 or 4 chairlifts to get back up Very Happy and you might want to stop off at the etoile restaurant on one of the runs down

not sure there is much difference in price in adding cervinia for one day or the whole week - so might be worth getting the whole week in case you want to try it again

definitely try the gornergrat railway, its from a different era, and gornergrat itself is good too, and if the igloo bar is open its makes it doubly attractive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga, Only two in the party, and we're both intermediates I guess. Prefer blues and reds, but enjoy 'good' blacks.

I expect we'll be looking for lessons too.

@Sack the Juggler, thanks for the advice. I'll start looking for stuff in that area this weekend. Just seen a good package with Igluski 350m from the Sunnegga lift.

Doesn't mean anything to me at the moment, so I'll be checking the piste map.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sunnega is horrid slush at the moment. We skied through it today and it was painful, especially going down to the chairlift to get back to the Gornegrat side. Stay near the Matterhorn express!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK Cheers. Mission is to book tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@t40ora,

Lessons - would recommend Stoked or Summit but that's not to say that the other outfits are not as good. It's just that we've used both of them and have been very pleased.

@Szymon is right. Sunnegga is primarily south-facing, it was pretty hard in the AM and very soft / slushy post 12PM last weekend. That's not to say that you shouldn't try it as the 2 reds down from the Rothorn plus the red / black down to the Patrullarve chair are long, nice and varied. The ski out on this side can be carnage at the end of the day - too narrow in places for my liking.

The Gornergrat area is a very good 1st day option - not very busy, holds the snow well. You can do repeated laps off the chair and also head down to the Riffelalp stop of the Gornergrat train (and then take the train up to the summit) on Red 29.

The Matterhorn side holds the snow well - you should definitely venture over to Cervinia more than once (be mindful of lift closures though). On the Zermatt side we really enjoy going up he Furrgsatel chair and doing the reds / snowpark rollers off it. Red 52 is isolated and has some lovely scenery off it but also some uphill sections. The black down to Furi can be challenging at the end of the day but lovely mid-morning when the snow is just about soft enough.

Accommodation - we have stayed at the Coeur des Alpes over Christmas (best hotel in the Alps as far as I'm concerned but pretty expensive), for a much more reasonable option look at the Phoenix (modern, clean, nice bar and good breakfasts).

Food - Chalet Etoile (Cervinia), Restaurant Furi or Chez Vrony (expensive but you have to try it on a clear day when the views of the Matterhorn from the terrace are unparalleled) for lunch and the Schaferstube, Le Gitan and Giuseppe's for dinner.

Zermatt is more expensive than normal at the moment due to the exchange rate Sad but it's still my favourite European resort, have a fab time Little Angel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@franga, many thanks for this. Some very useful guidance/info.

Just out of bed after a bloody hard week! Out to do some chores, then holiday hunting. I promised the wife that I would have a short-list prior to her getting home from her work trip to NL!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jeez. Expensive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cervinia?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
*sniff* we are now leaving Zermatt, after a wonderful last day skiing. Enjoy it, I am sure you will!

I now have to wait six whole days before I can ski again...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking to be a touch outside our price range for a second ski trip this season Sad

I may be looking back at VT again. The only chalet in our price range doesn't get good reviews, and the phrase "take your ear-plugs" puts me off somewhat.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@t40ora, why not wait for a few days so you can see what the forthcoming precipitation brings - could be rain to quite high altitude, or could be a decent top up even at lower levels. Lap of the Gods at the moment.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, yep lap of the Gods. But I'm guessing that high up will give us reasonable skiing whatever. The problem seems to be that the accommodation is fast disappearing. Faster than the snow!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If snow falls to lower altitudes though a whole new (cheaper) raft of options might open up!
ski holidays
True. Always a gamble.....
latest report
If they built a lift between Riffelberg and Trockener (the) Stig then skiing Zermatt would so much better than it is
snow report
red 27 wrote:
If they built a lift between Riffelberg and Trockener (the) Stig then skiing Zermatt would so much better than it is

I am not sure I agree with that. From Riffelberg you have a nice ski down to Furi and then the Matterhorn Express up to Trockener Steg. I think the problem connection is from Hohtälli over to Riffelberg. That is a horrible ski. However there probably is no better way across. The interesting change for this summer will be the new chairlift over on the southwest face of Schwarzsee replacing the current t bar. That might get more people over to what is currently one of the quieter parts - and some really good skiing.
snow report
@JohnMo, agreed.

I prefer the Riffelberg sector as it is. Yes, the red down to Riffelberg from Hohtälli is a necessity than something to enjoy (particularly the first 3rd). Didn't realise there are plans for a chair in Scwarzsee - not sure what to make of this. What they really need to do though is dig a tunnel under the uphill section of the R52 back to Furi - that section spoils what is a lovely, quiet, "away from it all" run ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy