Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski fast and narrow cat tracks (access roads) between slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
I am relatively new to skiing but I was taught stationary kick turns and all sort of side slipping and pivoting. You just need an instructor who is a little bit old school and knows how and when to utilize every tool that is out there. Also, whenever you take a lesson don't hesitate to tell your instructor what bothers you personally and where do you like to improve, get more confident etc. A snowplough is a last resort, there are ways to avoid putting this strain on your legs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I call these narrow roads, but we all know what we're talking about here.

Of course these can be a challenge, you never know what's around that next corner.
Sometimes I can feel very uncomfortable on them.

But I think the answer is try and relax, but how to relax?
Sing a little song, hum a little tune, imagine that the sun is out.
My favourite way to feel a little happier when I'm skiing is to flex my toes.
If I think I'm feeling a little windy I notice I've clenched my toes, so flex those toes put on a smile.

Its worked quite well recently.

But how to handle those tracks.
What we are talking about is just knowing that we are in control enough not to go over that cliff, hit that rock,
get around that bare patch. Swerve around that fallen skier.

I try to follow the line that those experts have taken as they hove accomplished perfect short narrow turns down the centre of the track.
But I wont be able to do it as well as they do, but I try to keep the rythm of the turns and accentuate the down movement, sort of old school.
How can you put into words the movements required for walking let alone skiing.

The best snow on these tracks is always on the outside by the edge, if you can make yourself feel confident that's the place to be.

Try skiing with a wider stance and allow the skis to do there own thing and just relax.

dosent help does it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@never summer, I've only used a snow plough for any distance once since learning to parallel, I came across a young woman and her Boyfriend in the middle of a blizzard on a blue run, I only came across them because she was bawling her eyes out, she'd had one ski lesson ever and her BF thought it was a good idea to take her up the mountain in a blizzard Confused

I got her down the run to the nearest station by having her hold onto me and snowploughing about 2km down the run with me controlling the speed for both of us, left them both with the advice that she took the time to have more lessons before heading back up the mountain Laughing Suspect that there would have been harsh words that night between them wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is the clue in the thread title? Handle them fast and narrowly. I hate them too but where there are other people involved either take them on the outside ( when exposure not bad) or inside ( leaving the evasive option of skiing up the bank). Whatever you do the worst things are to try to use every inch of the width and behave erratically.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By running sideslip do we mean literally descending with the skis at a slight angle to the 'fall line' so both are skidding slightly but you till go directly 'forward'? Mmmm I've not explained very well..

If so I regularly do that on cat tracks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @never summer, I found myself thinking about this at church this morning (I know, my mind does wander a bit .. and I should just be praying for a safe return from the EoSB)

Skiing has to be a challenge nearly all the time, if it was easy or everyone could do it, what would be the point?

Anyway I'd suggest that instead of just snow ploughing as a brake in a straight line use this opportunity as an exercise it to conquer the perfect plough turns.

Link one snow plow turn into the next so that you are in complete control all the way down the track.
Its going to improve your snow plough technique and let your "feel dee rhythm!"

The plough turn is a killer to those leg muscles, even more than the plough stop (which dosnt really work that well).

Anyway, perhaps I should go back to church again this evening to ask forgiveness for day dreaming of deep soft snow and swooshy new skis.
But Jesus will understand.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, I think you mistook me with the OP:) I don't have issues with narrow cat tracks and I rarely use snow plow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@D G Orf, I was (re)taught the stationary kick turn two days ago. And I spent an hour perfecting a running side slip with an instructor three years ago. These things are still taught, but both lessons were off-piste and we were reinforcing essential tools for specific runs that we were tackling.

There are three principal approaches to cat tracks: snowplough (knackering); short radius skidded turns (useless when the track is really narrow) or a skidded side slip (the universal solution).

Off piste, cat tracks and traverses can reduce to maybe 50cm wide in places. The only way to control speed in those circumstances is a skidded side slip; if there's a drop to one side, extra control can be gained if you scarily hang a few inches of ski tail over the edge.

If you push forward with your skiing, you'll need to add the skidded slip to your arsenal eventually. I'd strongly recommend learning it now.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry @never summer, I just took your name of the top of the page, should have been to @JuJitsoup,
What no snow plough? You dont know what your missing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny Jones wrote:
@D G Orf, I was (re)taught the stationary kick turn two days ago. And I spent an hour perfecting a running side slip with an instructor three years ago. These things are still taught, but both lessons were off-piste and we were reinforcing essential tools for specific runs that we were tackling.

There are three principal approaches to cat tracks: snowplough (knackering); short radius skidded turns (useless when the track is really narrow) or a skidded side slip (the universal solution).

Off piste, cat tracks and traverses can reduce to maybe 50cm wide in places. The only way to control speed in those circumstances is a skidded side slip; if there's a drop to one side, extra control can be gained if you scarily hang a few inches of ski tail over the edge.

If you push forward with your skiing, you'll need to add the skidded slip to your arsenal eventually. I'd strongly recommend learning it now.

Well said, the old running sideslip has got me out of trouble on many occasions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrLawn wrote:
Sorry @never summer,
What no snow plough? You dont know what your missing.

Sore knees? Lol. Of course I use snow plough, just not often.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny Jones, glad to hear its still being taught but sad that it's ony now taught to more advanced skiers, when I learn't it was regarded as a basic skill, of course when I learn't pistes were often a lot narrower as there were less machines on the slopes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
like this?

http://youtube.com/v/L6_V__uPSu4
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or this (a little more fluid).
http://youtube.com/v/yCc90N4GxHY It's called braquage and I know Warren Smith uses it to ensure people are flattening the skis and pivoting rather than edges. I personally find it a great exercise from a stationery sideways stance but don't see many doing it these days. If you watch the video, look at the skier behind carving -exactly what you don't ant to do on a cat track as it takes you across the slope rather than straight down it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
allanm wrote:
By running sideslip do we mean literally descending with the skis at a slight angle to the 'fall line' so both are skidding slightly but you till go directly 'forward'? Mmmm I've not explained very well..

If so I regularly do that on cat tracks.
+1
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/iUuCWQ_2WOo

Good demo at 1.08 although for some old fashioned reason I am still using poles, especially in the couloirs to which they refer!
latest report
The manoeuvre appears to have several names. DG_Orf calls it a running sideslip; @22 dropout calls it braquage; and I learned it as a pivot slip.

In any case, it's an incredibly useful technique. You can use it to control speed where it's impractical to turn, such as on a cat track. You can also use it to lose height without speeding up - for example, if you're in a mogul field and want to drop below a particularly awkwardly shaped bump, a pivot slip will get you there without the undesirable acceleration that might result from pointing your skis in your preferred direction of travel.

The essence of perfecting the technique is your fore/aft balance. If you try to flatten your edges with your weight over your tips or your tails, your skis will begin to turn. If your weight is dead centre, you'll side slip without turning.
snow report
Just stop phaafing about and get out of the way!
snow report
Think the names are just from different countries, but tey are all more or less the same thing, with a narrow track I'd not tend to change direction as it might confuse skiers going past me, on a steep slope changing direction gives you a better understanding of who is around you, mind you you can also reverse sideslip and spin 180 degrees, handy if you are at the edge of a piste with deep snow either side, when a straight 180pivot can sometimes catch your ski tip. bear in mind I got taught all of this before I was 10 some 35+years ago
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy