Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How far do you ski in a week?

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, I agree that 40,000m heli vertical is good in 6 days. I'd say that's equivalent to 10-12,000m of on piste hooning per day in terms of effort required. I've heli'd in Whistler at 5,000m/day which was comfortable and in NZ at 7,700m/day which killed me. No way could I have done that amount for a week!

I believe the PdS tour is about 80km but I've never been there so I've no idea how tough it is or isn't.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

When I ski, looking at the views is a key part of my day.
That's what ski lifts are for wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Raceplate, PdS tour not tough at all.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi According to my friend's apps when skiing in Espace Killy last week we we typically skiing 7800-9500 vertical metres per day, the majority of days being 8500 with one day peaking out at 9500. Typical skiing distance excluding lifts was about 30 miles on the 9500 metres day we ended up skiing approx 35 miles/56km. We were skiing fairly long runs with little problem with queuing. I would say we ski quicker than th enorm while being controlled. Typically we'd stop around 11 for a coffee ski for a late lunch for an hour and then ski back. Generally we didnt ski much after 1630 (old legs couldnt hack it any more).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Raceplate, If you look at the Skiline top 100 distances page of electronic data one guy managed 178 km in a day. Many people are doing well over 20k vert metres. The other day myself and Kooky did 123 and 131km taking 35 lifts and skiing on SL skis with only one 3 minute loo stop all day.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 26-03-15 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You are talking almost 19,000 vert metres in a day for the 137km. The passes are tracked for vert m, lifts taken, times between lifts and downhill distances of the pistes between the lifts.

Many days though we have had a fantastic time doing only 16km but taking offiste routes down. The large distances clocked up were as a result of deliberately trying to beat 100km For locals who ski all winter and are fit doing these distances is no problem.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 26-03-15 11:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Here you go Raceplate. Of course it´s not accurate to the exact kilometer as it depends on the line you take down, but TBH it´s not just about how many kms I can rack up in a day, I hope I am not that anal yet, but I just like to see how far I can push myself physically without a beer stop wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, you also have to pick a day with good snow conditions, no queues and decent vis. Once I did it I reverted back to my more leisurely style of skiing with beer stops, view appreciations and finding little off piste lines Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 26-03-15 11:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarpa, what ski area ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Raceplate, It was Dorfgastein / Großarl but Hofgastein looks to have faster lifts, the guy who clocked 178km included night skiing... cheating Laughing

He did 46 trips on the same lift selected for speed and max distance Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Raceplate, feel free to join us if you are out this way, going to have a crack as the Schlossalm next season the target is 100 miles in a day.......get in training cos we won't be waiting about for you Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good work @Kooky, I never doubted you. Laughing Ange
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Two circuits of the Sella Ronda in a day would be quite easy - that would be about 90k
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stew72 wrote:
After a superb week in the Dolomites last week, perfecting the technique with Rob@rar and Insideout skiing, I just checked my lift pass and discovered i'd skied 210KM, which I was quite disappointed with. What's your average distance in a week?

My lift pass analysis suggests I covered 197km with uplift of 33km! I think that's pretty good considering the time we spent standing around, absorbing Rob's wise words and then trying to put them into practice
On the last morning (one-legged carving!), I lapped the Biok lift 17 times in succession Shocked . That's probably not much mileage for 3 hours' skiing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:
Two circuits of the Sella Ronda in a day would be quite easy - that would be about 90k

The Sella Ronda is about 23km (of skiing) in either direction - here http://sellaronda.info/eng/index.html

Last week, we did the Orange Ronda plus Saslong from San Cassiano. It was a long day in tricky conditions.
I know people who lap it twice in a day but that's beyond all but the best (and fastest) skiers IMV.
ski holidays
@Kooky, that's a good screen shot and very interesting to do some analysis. As I said in the original post you can only really compare performance in the same ski area. Your shot shows 17,700m of vertical for 35 lifts. The Escapade in the 3V's is 35 lifts for 15,800m. I had half an hour to spare that day so in spring when the lifts are open for an extra half hour you could probably get to 40 lifts, 18,000m and around 100km but I reckon that's the realistic possible limit here.

IncIncidentally, if you do the maths you're skiing 505m vertical and 3.9km per lift. I'm skiing 450m vertical and 2.6 km per lift. If you extrapolate that I would be covering 505m in 2.9km, a whole km less than you. I'm out skiing so I can't do the exact trigonometry but I'm pretty sure that means my average gradient is considerably steeper than yours.

Maybe you should stop cruising round Austria and come to France for some real skiing Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
@Raceplate, thanks for that, I shall sleep soundly knowing my distance was correct NehNeh
I am actually out in VT next month so I will give it a try, provided that is all these crazy snowheads don't drag me off for beer breaks at every opportunity Toofy Grin
latest report
Remember, Kooky is only a tiny thing and an average beer stop would increase her body weight by almost a third Shocked

Then again, could she afford 4 beers in VT? wink
snow report
I like to take the GPS out on the first couple of days in a new resort as it helps me relate the distortions of a ski map to the real geography.
snow conditions
On a recent trip to Châtel I wore a garmin on about 4 days. On a relatively "big" day we managed ~70Km but on days when we did a lot more off-piste mucking about, this dropped to ~50Km (and was pretty consistent over 3 days).

I could link to my Strava page, but then you'd all start laughing at how slow I ski (bike, and run wink
snow report
@Red Leon, Ah yes - my bad... I had 45k in my head but was counting the lifts too perhaps. No wonder I was surprised how quick it was rolling eyes
snow conditions
A couple of weeks ago we went over to St Jean d’Aulps for the day and parked up at La Grande Terche. It’s a sleepy little spot with a gondola up to the beginners area, a long drag lift to a col and after a ski down a slow chair to another col. You can then ski over to another even sleepier spot called La Chevrerie. It has a slow chair followed by a drag lift up to a col. From there you can ski back to the bottom of the first gondola.

From a bit of judicious work on google maps I reckon the full circuit is about 20km. As well as skiing most of the runs under the lifts a couple of times we managed three circuits. We also had a quite excellent lunch over about 90 minutes at the top of the second chair half way through our second lap. Then we went home though the lifts were still running. Total distance about 60km. Just pootling along. Each circuit about 75 minutes. Total vertical not very much to write home about – I’d guess maybe 5,000m but the runs from the cols take you all the way down two very pretty valleys.

My point really is you can cover a hell of a lot of distance in a day on skis if the lifts/runs conspire to help you. I’ve no doubt the comments on 100km+ days are entirely genuine. Likewise 10,000m days if you have fast lifts and steep terrain.
ski holidays
So if I spent all day riding up the Pardatschgratbahn and skiing down from first lift 0830 to last lift 1630 I would ski at least 102km (measured as the crow flies) and descend around 37,530m in total.
Easily achievable if the pistes were in perfect condition and clear of idiots.....and also time for food, beer and frivolity on the ride up each time.

Will I be doing this.....no rolling eyes
snow report
@Raceplate, At least you believe the figures now wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Incidentally, if you do the maths you're skiing 505m vertical and 3.9km per lift. I'm skiing 450m vertical and 2.6 km per lift. If you extrapolate that I would be covering 505m in 2.9km, a whole km less than you. I'm out skiing so I can't do the exact trigonometry but I'm pretty sure that means my average gradient is considerably steeper than yours.

Shocked I can't believe that somebody would actually sit down and work that out.

Quote:

if the pistes were in perfect condition and clear of idiots.

"idiots" being people skiing around in leisurely fashion admiring the view I suppose?
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
@Raceplate, At least you believe the figures now wink
Sure, I believe the distance figures. But you're skiing relatively benign slopes. Let's face it, 160km in an 8 hour ski day is an average of 20kmh if you can find a suitable slope and just keep going... any beginner could do that.

This is not about distance or vertical, it's about distance, vertical and average gradient. You can't make any logical comparison about performance unless you know all three. Anybody who's vaguely competent can park and ride on a pair of skis for 8 hours to cover distance if it's a shallow gradient and available.

I notice you've edited your last 3 posts to remove the references to how fit and strong you are and how you ski on slalom skis going flat out to achieve your distance, so you already know I'm right. rolling eyes
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Incidentally, if you do the maths you're skiing 505m vertical and 3.9km per lift. I'm skiing 450m vertical and 2.6 km per lift. If you extrapolate that I would be covering 505m in 2.9km, a whole km less than you. I'm out skiing so I can't do the exact trigonometry but I'm pretty sure that means my average gradient is considerably steeper than yours.

Shocked I can't believe that somebody would actually sit down and work that out.

Objective statistics save a lot of subjective arguments....
latest report
Quote:

Objective statistics save a lot of subjective arguments....

But I can't believe that anyone would actually sit down and argue about how many miles somebody else skied and whether any old punter could have done it. Hilarious.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kooky wrote:
@Raceplate, thanks for that, I shall sleep soundly knowing my distance was correct NehNeh
I am actually out in VT next month so I will give it a try, provided that is all these crazy snowheads don't drag me off for beer breaks at every opportunity Toofy Grin

Good for you. If you manage anything more than 12,000m vertical in a day in the current VT slush you will have done extremely well. I look forward to the screenshots Very Happy
snow report
@pam w, yes, but that's because you are an archetypal old punter (and no, owning an apartment and having a season ski pass doesn't remove you from that category; it's an attitude of mind) rolling eyes
latest report
@pam w, you need to be a man to understand the urge we have to work these things out.
snow report
@Raceplate, Stick to the off piste. It's more fun.

The one proper edit was in answer to someone saying about distance depending on how many turns on the piste you were doing. I started posting about using SL skis and making a lot of turns then thought it looked a bit pointless so cut it out. Any others were due to typos.

And all this started from the one simple statement you made about not believing the figure. The run where I did 123km was made recently, doing two sides of the mountain top to bottom with slushy conditions.

Anything else was just as a result of answering this allegation and you throwing in more and more variables to cover the fact that you were wrong. End of Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now man up and start acting like an adult towards other people... or will we have to tell you to trig off wink
snow conditions
@Scarpa, I assume your pathetic attempt to rile me is because I questioned your distance in a day. I have no issue at all about you skiing 123km in a day but why are you only skiing beginner's slopes? Don't you think you should progress to something more challenging?
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:

Now man up and start acting like an adult towards other people... or will we have to tell you to trig off wink

I think that kind of comment is completely uncalled for. It's personal abuse with no foundation. As a member with nearly 20,000 posts I'm pretty sure you will know exactly why this forum was formed in the first place. It was supposed be an escape from the SCGB but your comments are displaying exactly the same prejudice to "less experienced" skiers that they used to show.

You're more than welcome to ski with me in the 3V's any time I'm there. I'll show you around and if you can keep up, the beer's are on me.
latest report
@Raceplate, without meaning to join in on anyone else's argument... The title of the thread mentions 'how far?' Not vertical or gradient. So I'm not sure why you're now bringing this in to the equation when distance is all Scarpa was referring to.
snow report
@hammerite, absolutely it does but the inference is that "how far" is also best. "How far" in the prevailing conditions is actually what's best, which means taking into account gradient and slope conditions.
snow conditions
Probably all my fault Embarassed

But @Raceplate, I personally would be very much happier if you weren't (what I perceive as) rude to@pam w. Not, I am sure, that she isn't well capable of leaping to her own defence should she feel it necessary.

C'mon all, snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@under a new name, your perception's wrong. I'm direct, not rude, there's a difference,
snow conditions
@Raceplate, some might differ.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
@Raceplate, Stick to the off piste. It's more fun.

The one proper edit was in answer to someone saying about distance depending on how many turns on the piste you were doing. I started posting about using SL skis and making a lot of turns then thought it looked a bit pointless so cut it out.

Yep pointless

Turns are optional surely Very Happy

All getting a bit silly....who can ski the furthest, who skis the most resorts, who thinks they are the best etc. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy