Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

John Hill's All Star (Guaranteed to Forget Nothing) Ski Trip Checklist

Poster: A snowHead
I never use one - how about you ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 7-01-06 9:37; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
socks are always good Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs NBT has one. I'll type it up later when she's dug it out, no use me searching for anything in this house
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps it could be made into a sticky at the top of a section Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, cheers - I knew someone would have one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wasn't there a "What do you pack?" thread ? Can't find it now though...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paul Mason, I don't have a checklist but I have kept a habit my (slightly paranoid about forgetting anything) x-wife had us doing in the evening before travel:

Get a clear plastic wallet and collect all documentation, tickets, P'ports etc. into it . . . tie it to suitcase handle (temporary). Put open case by the door then lay out everything you want to take in categorised piles. If there isn't a pile of pants . . . you'll notice that wink Once everything's there pack it up and leave it blocking the front door, add the bootbag etc. you should have to pick it all up on the way to the car/taxi/airport and not leave anything in another room etc.

It's worked for me for the last 15 years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Useful tip, if your taking a boot bag, stick a pair of ski socks, your spare gloves, spare hat, goggles / sunglasses, pants and a base layer and tootbrush. Just in case your case gets lost as mine did. I managed to borrow everything I needed for the first day until my case turned up, or the insurance kickes in.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
here you go:

hat
scarf
thermal shirt
base layers
fleece
ski jacket
puffer jacket
ski gloves
thermal trousers
ski trousers
ski socks
ski undersocks (silk)
ski undergloves (silk)
boxers & socks for 6 days
casual clothes
Timberlands

hair wax
shampoo & conditioner
shower gel
razor
shaving gel
deoderant
toothbrush
toothpaste
moisturiser

camera
music player & charger
phone charger
socket adaptors
camera

tickets
passport
insurance documentation
E111 or equivalent

drinking boots
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And sunscreen, sunnies and goggles.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use a variant on Masque's method but use the spare bed and start about a month in advance! I have packed a week in advance before now but by the time we're ready to go I panic about what I've forgotten and have to unpack and pack all over again Sad Thinking worst case, so long as you have your passport, tickets and ski boots, the rest can be bought or hired once you're there - at least that's the rationale I use Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
could of used this earlyer today, panic packing before work has caused me to forget loads of stuff (worst of all my ski buying research! and 2 days worth of fancy dress.)
managed to remember the important stuff (i hope...)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't believe what I'm witnessing here. I'm assuming you're all intelligent people, probably holding down good jobs or running your own business but you're collectively incapable of packing for a trip without the use of a crib sheet or grandma's "remembering routine". How on earth do you get by in normal life?

And by the way,magriggs, too much information in the toiletries dept. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All our ski gear is kept in a drawer under the bed, including stuff like sun screen & walkie talkies - easy to pack!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 1-01-06 11:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I split what I need into a list under "ski-ing", "apres" and "sundries". With the first two I then make a list starting from the feet up, and inner to outer layers. Not forgotten anything in twenty-odd years.
snow conditions
skibandit, I went head-down, but essentially the same approach Very Happy
snow conditions
Get a grip.

Toothbrush.
£2000 (cash).
Lighter.

Very Happy
ski holidays
I was wondering if anyone uses an american express travellers cheque card instead of taking all their money as cash. Also is a ski boot bag too big for hand luggage and could you get away with a small rucksack as well.
latest report
Years ago I used to get away with a boot bag as hand luggage - I don't know of any airline that allows it now.
snow conditions
Scheduled flights might allow boot bags as hand luggage - I know Monarch doesn't. But never had a prob checking in boot bag as part of luggage allowance, when I used to use a boot bag. It's expected and the check-in staff look a bit quizzical if you don't have a boot bag. (Our boots go in our kit bag)

I take a mixture of cash, credit card and cashpoint card to withdraw cash from ATM.
snow report
Thought I'd throw in my list:

Ski Boots
Ski Jacket
Ski Trousers
Ski Socks
Normal Socks
Neck Halter
Hat
Roll Neck Tops
Vest
Long Johns
Underwear
Fleece
Apres Ski Boots
Boots
Boot Fresh
Hand Warmer
Bum Bag
Gloves
Shirts
Sweaters
Jeans
Knee Support
Goggles
Glasses
Camera
Phone Charger
PDA Charger
Sun Cream
Lip Salve
Travel Insurance
Passport
Euros
Lift Pass Receipt
Skis e-mail
Ski School letter
Hip Flask
Radios
Batteries
Mains Adaptor
E111
Contact Lens
Wash kit
snow conditions
I have a microsoft excel spreadsheet list. once i have packed an item i mark it and i have made it so it only shows what i still have to pack. good programme that.
snow conditions
And of course not forgetting Helmet. snowHead
snow conditions
ian bloomfield, exactly. I don't even need the lighter.

Anyway, for all you forgetful Snowheads, I've done some in depth research today and discovered that most ski resorts these days have "shops". Apparently local people use them to buy everyday items. So, sweat no more about your computerised checklists, you can buy what you forgot out there. We're saved.
snow report
JohnHill, You simply don't understand the significance of the list, in the ritual of holiday preparation.Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I simply don't unpack from the last trip.
snow conditions
JohnHill, I'm glad you said that. Even my teenage sons have packed for themselves for years without the help of a list. It's not rocket science rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ, No but according to snowbunny, the list making is nothing to do with intelligence - we're just missing a vital element of the perfect ski trip. Darn, so that's what's been going wrong all these years.

harryok525, hysterical and very impressive... but you failed to list the contents of the wash kit I'm afraid so no good to me. I guess I could always merge the magriggs list with yours and be sure I haven't missed anything.
latest report
skibandit, Ryan air were ok with boot bags as hand luggage,as long as the bag is'nt over their weight limit or size they wer'nt bothered
ski holidays
JohnHill wrote:
I can't believe what I'm witnessing here. I'm assuming you're all intelligent people, probably holding down good jobs or running your own business but you're collectively incapable of packing for a trip without the use of a crib sheet or grandma's "remembering routine". How on earth do you get by in normal life?

Ah well, you see, I learnt the hard way when I packed to leave college at the end of an academic year once and managed to leave ALL my underwear in a drawer in my college room rolling eyes . Most embarassing when I had to drive all the way back the next day and explain to the incredulous security guards precisely why I had to get back into my old room that I'd handed over. So now I never leave things in drawers assuming I'll remember them at the last minute
snow conditions
eng_ch, Ok, I'm now feeling strong enough and voyeuristic enough to want to see your list. I'm sure I'm not alone. Toofy Grin
latest report
No, I don't make a list! But I do put everything on the spare bed as I think of it - starting anything up to a month in advance Laughing Oh, sorry, I tell a lie - I do make a list for things I can't do before the last minute like phone charger etc.
snow conditions
good god, no-one has mentioned the essential

Dinner Jacket, pants, formal shirt, black tie,

Really you just have to have a formal ball in a ski resort.

However I am exchanging that for a kitewing for my next trip, (much more useful)

Don't think my 6 x big and heavy 5W motorola radios would get through on the baggage allowance though...dammit. Tested to 20 miles, and no bloody interference from kids on PMR446.
snow report
eng_ch, Perhaps you need a short list of what things you do need a list for and what things you don't. Please please go do a list. I'm not a "lister" myself but this is definitely the most entertaining thead in here. I'm fascinated, for example, that harryok525 feels it necessary to actually list his ski jacket and passport, magriggs, meanwhile, has a special pair of drinking boots and hair wax comes top of the toiletries. Awesome stuff, what would Desmond Morris make of it?
snow conditions
I've had to turn the taxi round before, having set off for the airport sans jacket. Not everyone's perfect, y'know
ski holidays
paulhothersall, Sensational, my sides are hurtin'. Need the full list please.
latest report
JohnHill, let's just say living in Switzerland hasn't discouraged the anally retentive tendencies Laughing Or you could just say I learn from my mistakes wink
snow report
JohnHill wrote:
paulhothersall, Sensational, my sides are hurtin'. Need the full list please.

and you though i was joking!

My usual requirements for a 1 or 2 week uni trip (back in the day.....)

Ski Bag
1 Pair Slalom Skis
1 pair GS Skis
1 Pair Super G Skis
1 Pair poles with punch guards
1 Pair GS/SG "bent" poles
Towels + any sort of bulky ski wear.
boot drier optional in case of "splash contest"

Suit Bag
Dinner Jacket & Pants
Dress Shirt
Cufflinks