Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update: Snow & Rock left a security tag on my new ski jacket.

Poster: A snowHead
Bought the jacket a month ago and packed it straight into my ski gear drawer. Arrived back in Cham last night and have just unpacked, hung my jacket up and found one of those great big plastic security tags attached to the inside breast pocket.

Phoned Snow & Rock, the chap informed me that the tags aren't designed to come off without the requisite equipment. Their suggestion is for me to ship it back to them for the tag to be removed and they would send the jacket back to me. Erm... that means I have no jacket for skiing.

The tag is in an awkward place (for a woman), so I cant just leave it in there while wearing the jacket.

Does anyone know how I can remove the tag without damaging my £400 jacket? Not that I'm implying snowHeads members have nefarious skills but someone out there may know.

Yours in complete frustration.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-03-15 7:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's really bad luck. Might be worth asking S&R the name of the system they use and then doing a quick tour in Cham to see if any shops use the same and could/would remove it for you?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

The offending tag:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sj1608, I thought about that but it would be a slightly embarrassing request – I'm sure the stores here would think I'd stolen the jacket. In their position, would you help?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-03-15 13:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zero_G, welcome back. I was able to remove one that tkmaxx had left on from another retailer. Brute force.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I'd risk that. Knowing the name of the system would suggest that you've been in contact with S&R......
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is Cham near Zug? My Grandaughter was born in Cham Hospital 3 years ago next wednesday Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Zero_G, I think that tag is removed by magnets. The pin is strong but do able with some sharp pliers..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have just been doing some Googling and it looks like a Sensormatic Supertag. There are videos on YouTube about removing them, but my current connection isn't good enough to watch them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Zero_G, I have got some of them apart by putting them next to a decent magnet, like the ones on the back of loudspeakers, and if you get them positioned correctly this pulls the spring loaded ballbearings inside back and it will split. This is how it is done in the shop.

The other way is like @jbob, says, crack it between a decent hammer and, preferably, a another solid lump of metal. Protect your eyes though because all sorts of sharp pieces of plastic and ball bearings will fly out.

I have had quite a few items delivered as online purchases from Sports Direct like this, presumably they have been returned from the shops to the warehouse before being sold on line.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Assuming it's not going to damage the jacket I'd hit it with a hammer, saving the bits and send them to S&R telling them they need to smarten up their procedures. Their security alarm can't be that good can it?!

Good choice of jacket by the way......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, I assume the brute force requires tools, though. Looking at the equipment provided with this apartment, I have a bottle opener, a pair of very blunt scissors, a whisk, a spatula, a can opener, a blunt paring knife and a cheese grater. I

If this wasn't so frustrating, it would be funny. Ok, it is funny and I'm laughing at the idea of using a cheese grater to remove the tag. I wonder if the tag will scan through the chair lift gates wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Zero_G, jam it in the door casing between the door and frame, wrapped in a sock so it doesn't damage the door and bash it with a shoe heel?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, have you googled enough to ascertain that trying to remove the tag won't result in a big stain? I think some of those things have dye in.

What a fantastic frustration!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Zero_G, have you googled enough to ascertain that trying to remove the tag won't result in a big stain? I think some of those things have dye in.

What a fantastic frustration! I'd be inclined to ask S & R if they would give you a refund (given the item isn't really fit for purpose) and buy a jacket in Cham.
ski holidays
or at least ask them to indemnify you against any damage done trying to remove the damn thing.
latest report
You can usually tell if there is dye involved as there is a clear bubble with the dye inside.
snow report
@Zero_G, I think those are non magnetic security tags, they should have a small hole at the fat end, if so you just need a wire coat hanger
http://youtube.com/v/WJENcL2Uaos around 2:30 into the clip
snow conditions
Markymark29, I may be a woman but I'm on a ski trip, I don't have heels with me (trainers, ski boots and flip flops, that's it).

I've managed to watch two YouTube vids (I'm using data roaming, so can't do a massive research stint) and am going to try the hook (made from my key chain ring) method.
snow report
There is another video linked on there that uses a screwdriver blade and a pair of pliers to prise off the tag.
snow report
Well, the hook method hasn't worked for me (the vids make it look so simple). Right, I'm off to the hardware store to buy some tools.
snow conditions
@Zero_G, have you gotvthe receipt (I wouldn't) I'd just drop into Snell or somewhere and ask them to fix it.
snow conditions
under a new name, I do have the receipt but it's in London.

Hardware store was a no go; I forgot that many of the smaller shops are closed on Sundays. Will pop in there in the morning before I head up the mountain.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, does it not have anything on the tags that identifies it as having been sold by S&R ?
snow report
@Zero_G, from experience they can be a pig to remove. If you haven't got decent tools you will probably damage your jacket. If I were you I would put on an innocent smile and head down to the ski shop. Explain the problem, offer them a bottle of wine and get them to remove it with their tools. They won't be fussed about removing it as a. They are French and b. It's not their problem. They are quite rightly far more laid back about that sort of thing than us.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 22-03-15 16:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Zero_G, if you paid on a credit card, could you call up the credit card account online to prove you paid for something at S&R?
snow report
@Zero_G, I'll have a look and see if I have something. Nothing in my ski service bag but might have something in the garage.
What's needed is a screwdriver, plus some small wire cutters or long nose pliers, the same type as electricians use.
Gently prise it open with the driver then do the deed with the pliers.

Btw Richard has hurt his knee.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, I pulled the paper/card tags off when I got home, rolled the jacket up into its hood and put it away without unzipping or opening it. It was a replacement for an identical jacket I've had for years but tore in Feb, so I never even tried it on in the store. When I packed last night, I merely transferred that little gore-tex sausage into my suitcase.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, S&R email you a receipt, can you access it on your phone? I'd just go into any shop and ask for their help if you have a receipt.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, without being too personla but how old are you?

If you're more mature in years and not looking like some spooty oik who might steal a coat then why not try one of the retailers to see if they can help?
latest report
My Mum bought a coat when she was shopping with me before Christmas. We left the store without a problem, wandered around for several hours without hassle, and it was only after we'd had lunch that the alarms went off when she went into and out of loads of shops. Eventually a security guard did check her bags and found the tag still attached (receipt was in the bag). Went back to store with it, alarm did not sound as we went into the store, and they weren't even bothered or apologetic about leaving it on.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-03-15 19:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Markymark29, just searched through my junk folder and found an email from S&R asking me to review my purchase of said jacket but no receipt. Have emailed their customer services, asking for the receipt and describing the security tag situation.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, pretty sure any retailer with same system will remove. Worst case get them to phone S&R. They're the ones who have effectively damaged your jacket. Their liability.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, I've found a big screw driver, a hacksaw with a fine blade, and a little too large pair of pliers, any help?
ski holidays
I'd say the email you have and a rueful smile would get you sorted in any decent ski shop. Especially if you were hiring kit there also. Give it a shot, all they can say is no...
latest report
marcellus, I look respectable but am not willing to risk possible issues with gendarmes being called (these jackets are sold here in Chamonix).
snow report
If you go and ask, without the jacket, you can't get into any trouble. If you find someone nice enough to help you could go back and get it
snow conditions
@Zero_G, really, you'll be fine.
ski holidays
Or, get in writing from Slush,etc. that you can have a refund and buy another one in Cham.
ski holidays

Four hours later and I've finally freed my jacket of the offending security tag! I used a wine opener to prise the little disk up and a pair of blunt kitchen scissors to grip the metal post and then with lots of twisting and leverage the disc popped out.

Am left with a damaged zip on the inside pocket but that's not the end of the world for this trip, I'll put my ski pass in another pocket.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy