Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with Easter trip Please :)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SnowHeads, I need some help deciding where to go for a late booked deal over Easter, from 4/4 to 11/4. I will be driving there. I'm looking to book accommodation late to keep costs down and looking at self-catering with a view to budgeting around €500 on some cheap digs.

I've so far been looking at Les Menuires - where there is a good choice of ski schools - Val Thorens and La Plagne. All reasonably high for late season snow.

Last few years have been to St Martin de Belleville and Vallandry which were nice, but those occasions were with a group of adults/kids of mixed abilities so we were all able to keep ourselves amused.
This time it will be just myself, my 15 y.o. son and 8 y.o. daughter. It will be my daughter's first ski trip so I want a very good English speaking ski school. Last year at Vallandry we used ESF, and found them to be pretty poor. May have been bad luck. Hence the reason for looking at Les Menuires or Val Thorens as the Prosneige school seems to have excellent reviews.

Would be much obliged if any experienced skiers can give some tips on some of the best locations to look at? Ideally want a location that has some other things to do to keep the kids occupied even if its just a decent couple of bars with other kids to mix with (and for me to chill with a drink!).

Regards!
Jason
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Jason,

we've just come back from La Plagne (Belle Plagne) and we had a ball, in the weeks leading up to our trip there had been some good dumps of snow and while we were there the sun was shining and it was warm so we managed to have great skiing in sunny weather.

My only worry is that the temperature was quite high and there was a lot of snow loss in the lower slopes, not sure if its going to get any better by April, but ask for updates from those coming back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll have no worries on conditions staying in Paradiski.

Not used them but I've heard good things mentioned on here about Oxygene and Reflex.

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/ski/ecoles-de-ski/par-station/plagne-centre.html

Plagne Centre sounds like it may suit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gilbern74, if you went back to Vallandry, there is the New Generation school which generally gets good reviews.

Always luck of draw, but we've used ESF before in Vallandry and had no issues
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sack the Juggler, When you say the lower slopes how low do you mean?

I am looking for one more week end of season and La Plange 1800 seems to be on most TO's websites but I am a little concerned 1800 will be too low that time of year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got this email from Silver Ski - Manchester only flights so maybe no good for the OP who is in London, but others might be interested

5TH APRIL
Last Few Holidays Remaining:
Chalet Kings Hame, Meribel - 2 Rooms @ £399pp
Chalet Jacques, Meribel - 1 Room @ £429pp
Calet Jacqueline, La Tania - 3 Rooms @ £429pp
Chalet Sonjon II, Courchevel - 2 Rooms @ £399pp
Chalet Du Praz, Courchevel - 1 Room - £419pp
Chalet Topaz, Plagne Soleil - 2 Rooms @ £429pp
Chalet Bon Coin, Plagne Village - 3 Rooms @ £399pp
(Manchester Only - Add £40 Airport Security Charges to all of the above prices)

Call Us Now on
01622 735544
www.silverski.co.uk
Email: silvers@silverski.co.uk
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisrawles wrote:

I am looking for one more week end of season and La Plange 1800 seems to be on most TO's websites but I am a little concerned 1800 will be too low that time of year.

I've stayed at Les Coches at 1450m in a bad year from about April 10th. All the links were kept open. We are able to ski back to Les Coches. Don't get me wrong, conditions weren't great generally but there was still plenty of piste skiing to be done higher up. At 1800 you will definitely be OK.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in Plagne Centre last week..... conditions are great.....pistes are all good......lots to do. Sledging from the top of the Colorado was a blast and my mate did the Luge which was awesome. Great place for kids.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisrawles wrote:

Hi Chris,

all the runs around plagne 1800 were fine, we had a great weeks skiing, mostly warm and sunny so by the end of the week there were some patches starting to show lower down, if it stays cold for the rest of the season then it should be ok, but best check with those coming back each week to see how its holding up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sack the Juggler, Thats what i thought. I have found a few options in 1800 but don't want to book just yet in case a heat wave suddenly hits!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you everyone for your priceless advice Very Happy
Last year I took a day to go over the Vanoise link to the La Plagne area and was impressed by the long smooth pistes over there, and thinking at the time it would be a good place to bring my daughter to learn to ski. So you've swayed me to take a keen interest in that area.

I've started looking at some decent cheap studios available in Belle Plagne. There seems to be some good choice still available. Also there seems to be a good choice of ski schools that I can look at.
@Sack the Juggler, can I ask what other things you found to do in Belle Plagne (evenings) and does anyone know how that compares with the other resorts in/around La Plagne?

Thanks!
Jason
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gilbern74, BP would be good for the height it gives you at that time of year and for ski-in ski-out.
Not the liveliest of places after dark but there are a few bars and restaurants and you can always use the cable car / free buses to access other bits of LP.
There is a gym/spa and down in Bellecote there is a bigger indoor/outdoor public swimming pool (certainly open afternoons - dunno about evenings).
Is the Saloon - sometimes topless, noisy bar still going? That's in BP.

This might help...

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/guide/shops/bars/belle-plagne.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gilbern74, I finally put up a trip report last night, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118176&highlight=

didn't have young kids with us so not sure what is available for kids but there plenty of kids at La Plagne when we were there so must be lots for them to do
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my kids generally mucked around in the snow - preferably toboganning, even if on black poly bags - and sometimes enjoyed playing "family games" in the evenings and were ready for earlier than usual bed time. I don't remember any other "activities" though one of the chalet hotels we went to had a kids room which showed videos in the evenings. But 15 and 8 is quite an age gap so I guess they do very different stuff.

Does the apartment have wifi? That'd help a good deal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a bowling alley in one of the bars in BP - if your kids like that ???
snow conditions
Thanks again to everyone who kindly offered advice for our trip.
Now all booked with a ski-in/out apartment in Belle Plagne with WiFi and basic amenities, really close to the lift and ski schools, and the little princess is booked in with Oxygene for her daily lessons Very Happy
Just hope the drive down is fairly clear, although I've booked a late Eurotunnel on Good Friday and an overnight stop somewhere on the way so I expect it to be pretty clear roads.
I don't expect to need snow chains having driven down there at this time of year a couple of times before but I have a 'snow sock' thing just in case...

Happy days! Love that feeling when you know you're only a week or so away from a holiday and you start to wind down Madeye-Smiley
snow report
You'll have no worries at all on snow Gilbern74 - unsettled all next week with snow to relatively low levels for almost April Very Happy.

Should be great.
ski holidays
La Plagne will be brilliant! I had a lesson with Oxygene and thought the instructor was excellent.

Have a fab time, I love LP Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy