Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for touring: K2 Coomback?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting my first pair of touring skis and would really appreciate it if people could wade in their opinions.
Some details about these particular K2 Coomback:

-2013 model (unused)
-188cm length
-Tip (135) Tail (102) Waist (121)
-70% rocker 30% camber
-3.7kg approximate weight?

I am 188cm tall (6' 2") and weight around 80kg (82 during holiday season NehNeh ). I have skied since very little and though I'm no expert I can approach blacks with confidence. I would like these skis for touring (1 day or 3 day tours) but at least once a year to ski with my family in a resort. I'd like to mention that if I do end up getting these they will be a bargain in my head and it will leave me with more money to spend on bindings and boots.

Would these skis be suitable for my needs and more importantly, for myself?
I would love to hear from anyone who owns these or any knowledgeable members looking to educate a touring novice.

Many thanks,
Tudor
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not skied the coombacks, but you do see quite a few people on a coomback/tech binding set up. It would be a good ski for the down but at 102 is a touch wide for the up. I guess it depends how much up you will be doing. It's always a compromise.
I ski on some K2 Hardsides which are a tad thiner at 98 but use something thiner and lighter for climbing much.
K2 also do the Wayback in 96 which is both light and reasonably wide.
Another thing you need to decide is the type of binding, between tech or frame which some would argue is more significant.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tudorica, I agree with jbob, the choice of bindings will probably make the biggest difference to your touring enjoyment. I have toured with both frame and tech pin bindings, and I would never go back to a frame binding.

With regards to the Coomback (I last skied on them in 2010, and enjoyed them), I would think that they would be fine for your requirement. A lighter/thinner ski will be easier on the up, but a fatter ski will be more fun on the way down again. For longer tour days I use a 184cm / 112mm waist ski, with Dynafit Radicals, and I am 180cm and 67kg.

Don't forget that K2 sell pre-cut skins for each of their touring models.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tudorica, i don't tour much but ...

Coombacks are a great powder ski, I'm not so sure they're so great in crappy snow.

Generally, touring skis are a bit thinner as mentioned above.

Weight is the thing...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you very much for your input. I can see now the skis might not be ideal for touring but at the moment it was the only deal I could find. I will keep looking for other makes/models. Would you have any suggestions?

For the boots and bindings I have a budget of 600 pounds combined if I buy new, which hopefully will be enough?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have that ski with dynafit radicals. good touring ski for me. pretty poor on ice and hard pack. very good in powder and mixed snow. I also have k2 hardside with marker f10 bindings. probably prefer the hardside other than in outright opowderer days for its versatility. sport conrad often has good deals on k2 st

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 15-03-15 22:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tudorica, it really does depend on what type of touring you aspire to do?

Spring touring is totally different to winter powder touring.

I was having a "nag", interviewing a guide (who a fair number of snowheads know) last night and this was one of the questions re gear as many people are getting a wee bit confused as to what constitutes a touring set up, as last week touring you would not have wanted to be climbing on fat skis!!

Anyway still compiling that chat - but in the meantime you might find this of interest http://stylealtitude.com/ski-touring-the-percentage-game.html

Basically if you don't know, spring touring on more S'facing slopes is all about starting early, and that invariably means climbing up on frozen snow, so hence narrower skis with crampons is the norm.

Mixing it up spring snow low down, cold snow further up is all about a compromise in gear rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try telemark pyrenees - they do really good deals on ski touring gear
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another bunch of good points, just shows me how much more research I need to put in this.
I will have a look on sport conrad and telemark pyrenees websites see what I can afford.

Thanks again guys, I'll come back after I've done a bit of further reading.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the coombacks and just bought another pair I love them so much. Although this time round gone for dynafit bindings.
Personally I think they are great for all conditions, but on absolute ice crampons are needed, but then again probably needed on any ski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get some designed as touring skis, eg. K2 Backup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301353334841
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have Coombaks. Great ski -- a bit on the soft side but will ski well on any surface. My preference would be something a little narrower for touring. Right now touring is really fashionable, with the manufacturers developing the equipment at a rapid pace. I'd get yourself some boots and then rent skis and skins for a couple of trips to see what you like. Touring bindings are a big investment, but will last for a very long time... so good to get right. K2 Wayback worth looking at
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have Soul 7s with F12 bindings. Like the Coombacks they are quite waisted and a similar width with rocker and camber. I bought this set up as a one ski quiver. I don’t ski as much as I used to so want something that was fun on piste, good off piste, that I could tour on and that was in general, quite forgiving (my thighs aren’t as strong as they used to be). This set up does all these things and I really enjoy skiing pretty much everything. It’s still a compromise though.

If I was after a dedicated touring set up for Europe I’d be after something stiffer, ~90mm underfoot and straighter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis wrote:
Get some designed as touring skis, eg. K2 Backup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301353334841

The Coombacks ARE designed as toruing skis - they're the touring version of the Coomba (named after Doug Coombes), which I don't think is made any more.

They are plenty skinny enough for easy touring IMO.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A nice gentleman from this forum offered me a pair of 174cm Coombacks (2010) with Fritschi Freeride bindings and Salomon Quest 120 boots for a bargain price which I am a bit tempted to be honest.

Looking at the K2 Backup they seem to tick the right boxes and seem optimal for ski mountaineering too which is something I'd like to tackle in the future.
I asked a shop for a deal for the Backup with bindings and boots and now waiting to see what kind of deal they offer.
Will check the Waybacks too.

Thanks again guys for your input.
latest report
Or even:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121596937287
snow report
I have seen them, but the same shop has those skis again with "Buy it now" at 189 pounds so I assume the final auction price will be very close to that Wink

I keep eyeballing the Wayback and Backup's on conrad sport, together with their skins though...Decisions, decisions...
snow conditions
I used to have coombacks and would echo the comments above - a touch soft so great in the powder but they leave a bit to be desired when things get a bit heavier / cruddy / crusty.

They are not too wide - you just have to decide on your priorities / balance of up vs down. I personally don't have anything less than 102 and that is my spring touring ski!
snow conditions
http://www.snowandrock.com/dynafit-manaslu-(ski-only)-2015/dynafit-ski/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/50127?listing=true £371 new ?

http://youtube.com/v/ootF_xqF4Tg
snow report
Bit pricey for me, those Manaslus but I appreciate the suggestion.

Regarding Conrad Sport, has anyone ever purchased a "tested" item? (Alpin Tiefschneetage 2015 )
They have for sale a pair of Waybacks 14/15 with a Dynafit Radical ST at 580euros. It's just 40 euros more expensive than buying the Waybacks 13/14 and Dynafit TLT Radical ST incl. 100mm Stopper on their own. I'd rather get the new ones even if they're a previous edition unless those bindings are really worth it?
Also what stopper length would be most recommended?

Thank again.
ski holidays
@tudorica, Just buy these: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2702865#2702865

If you get him to ship 'em to me I'll do you a great supply/mount deal on a pair of 14/15 Radical ST's or Speed Radicals (same as the ST but without brakes). I can also supply you either Dynafit pre-cut skins or Colltex skins.

'Stopper' is the euro word for brakes. The stated brake width should at least equal the underfoot dimension of the ski but can be quite a bit wider if they 'cam in' nicely (like the Dynafit's do) when retracted.

If you go for the ST's then get the latest generation as they have the fore/aft elasticity mechanism in the heel.
latest report
Another vote here for 100mm waist being fine for 'winter' and 'spring' touring. A long running length and not too shapey are also important: super stoke rocker won't inspire confidence on an icy climb...

On hard stuff the crampon does the work so as long as the ski isn't so wide that the blades are well outside the line of your boot you'll be fine IMHO
snow conditions
Completely biassed here. Have used comebacks for about 4 years now as fat touring ski. First tried them on Mt Yotei in Japan. Since then, BC, Alaska, Fantastic set up and have never let me down. The reason you are thinking about them - weight, width, price means that it is still a very hard combo to beat. The provenance is very hard to beat. The pre-formed skins are good if you are prepared to pay for them. The fitting is great - so simple. ir
ski holidays
£70 - absolute bargain for someone.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy