Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
Just read the interesting opinions in PG's thread on back protectors & thought I'd ask the same quetion re helmets. I noticed in France that they were compulsory for the kid's lessons & a reasonable percentage of skiers seemed to wear one.

I went around all the stores in C1650 recently trying as many different types as I could. None felt comfortable and all had minimum venting - heat build up is a concern of mine as I've never worn a hat and only occasionally worn a head band over my ears.

One of the guys in the chalet had a Giro helmet he'd bought in Banf - very light, comfortable and with loads of vents (approx 9/10) . It also had removable ear pieces and a removable inner lining that totally exposed the vent holes. The only Giro helmet I've found on the net is not this model - no I don't want to listen to the radio whilst skiing!.

Your opinions please & can anyone help re sourcing the full Giro range?

Jon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really like the Marker M3 that I bought this year (together with Infinity goggles).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Giro is the only range that I;'ve found that ar really comnfortable, I'm leaning towards getting the Ravine rather than the Nine9 : this difference is that the ravine has hard covering over the ears.

Your local outdoor / ski shop should be able to order in helmets, but they ski helmets are imported by someone other than the company who import the giro bike helmets so don;t bother with your local bike shop./

Another point is that prices were noticeably (20% or so) lower in north america, if you;re going out there at all, but availability may be an issue ; I couldn;t fiond the helmet i wanted in my size hence I still don;t have one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been using a Giro9.9 for several seasons (this sounds like the one you describe), fortunately I've not yet had to test it out fully but I find it very light and comfortable. I've used it in very cold weather and it's kept my head warm, and very warm weather and with the plugs out its been cool enough - it's so light thet I really don't notice it most of the time, it's also a handy place to park the goggles without them steaming up.
I bought mine in Whistler (they seem very popular there), so I can't help you with finding one here, but you could try http://www.giro.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm also a Giro 9.9 wearer, and during my weekend in Austria, I skiied the second day with ear pieces, etc removed, and didn't overheat at all.
Really like it, and don't notice I'm wearing it, but then again, some people say that seat belts are uncomfortable and a bad idea...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies bit of a stupid question but How easy / comfortable is it to wear sun glasses Cool with a helmet or do I have to start wearing googles
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bladeski, it's not a problem, you might just look a bit strange.

The Giro 9.nine was available recently at Snowlines in Edinburgh. Bear in mind that Giro sell an identical helmet for cycling (without the ear pads and insualatin/vent plugs) for 1/3 the price - hcekc good mountain bike shops for this.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IT's not really identical the cut on skiing / snowboarding helets isa lot lower arou d the back of the head. The closest you would get is the Giro Zen, which retails around £80 i Think.

bladeski, you canget different lenses for goggles - I think I've only worn sunglasses on one skiing day in the past two or three years, mostly I wear goggles anyway, so when I get a helmet it'll make no difference. My pal who has a helmet and goggles has just got a spare lens, takes about 60 seconds to swap them
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Let me repeat myself. Giro sell an absolutely identical helmet to the 9.nine for mountain biking, it just doesn't have the insulation around the ears and chin or the vent plugs. The shell and foam is exactly the same although there are some extra colour choices on the one sold for biking. The skiing helmet is called the 9.nine, the cycling one is called the semi. They are both available with a visor and are then called the 9.nine mx and the semi mx.

It costs about £30 - compare that to the £110 I paid for my 9.nine. If you don't want a lid with insulation because you have a hot head then this is a pretty big saving for the same helmet. Buy the cycling one here if you want it: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300002250
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I never. YOu're absolutely right Kurt, My apologies.

You can buy the ear pads separately, at least the ones with headphones in anyway - I think snow and rock were selling them for £30 for the pair
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think you can buy them online for $30, which is about 20p
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, do you have any dollars you want to sell at that exchange rate? Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's probably a good idea to check out this link:

http://www.ski-injury.com/helmet.htm

(obtained from the Blades thread in this section) and then read the reviews at the site linked to near the bottom of the page.

That's not to say don't buy one (I'd never say that) but that seeing as the only reason for wearing a helmet is to minimise head injury, it's probably best to know just what different helmets will and will not do, before buying one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought the Giro nine.9 in Banff this year. (Though I'm not the man sharing Spyderjon's chalet)

I findit pretty comfortable and well ventilated, and I didn't stew my brain wearing it in warm sunny conditions a fortnight ago. I paid $Can145 for it (approx £60). Not a bad price to protect what Woody Allen described as his second favourite organ.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HI Guys. 2 things. 1st, skiing in Whistler last week, had a bit of a crash and put an inch long crack in shell of my helmet, so very pleased i was wearing it!! Therefore, i had to buy a new helmet, which leads me to thing 2. Giro have a new helmet out, upgrade on the 9, the Giro Fuse, much better venting and plugs, and even more confortable. Worth checking out, i tried both and really liked it (and so am now the proud owner of one). Point 3 (oops) sunnies wiht a helmet - bit of a fashion faux-pas
snow report
Robbie, the fuse is also about 3 times the weght. It is not strictly an upgrade, just a different, more sophisticated model which has a broader fit. The giro is sold as superlightweight and is fairly narrow; I think it is pretty much the only one that fits people (like me) with narrow heads.

Sorry to contradict so much today, I am being a bit of a helmet nazi. Smile
latest report
All

So much info. Many thanks.

That ski injury site of Shanky's makes for interesting reading. I'm still undecided wether to go the helmet route or not, especially as there's no real proven safety reason to make my mind up for me.

I think comfort will be my main criteria as my 'hot head' much prefers sunglasses in good weather. Even the Giro 9 with the vent cover & ear pieces removed has to be quite a bit hotter than no hat and shades, especially with goggles. The other problem with a helmet is that it's a bulky item to carry around, especially in cafes/bars etc.

The one thing I have learnt though is that sunglasses worn with a helmet breaks the first rule of skiing, namely look good at all costs!

Came across http://skihelmets.com in my research which is well worth a visit.

Jon
snow conditions
Guys I hate wearing goggles, It has to be seriously snowing for me to put them on.
Next time you are out I'll be the idiot with shades and a helmet, so keep an eye out for me. Shocked I can see this is going to be more difficult than I thought as comfort is going to be an issue!! Cheers for the info.
snow report
I've worn my sunnies with my helmet (Giro 9.9) briefly - they fit fine, it's just I don't like skiing in sunglasses as no matter how wrapped round they are, as soon as I get any sort of speed up my eyes start streaming.
ski holidays
Stuarth - maybe we can start a new trend, helmet and sunnies, the ultimate fashion statement Cool
ski holidays
My helmet protects my head and is comfortable; my sunnies protect my eyes and are comfortable. I really couldn't give a stuff what it looks like.

There were plenty of people with helmets and sunnies in Whistler a week or so ago (it was far too hot/bright for goggles)
ski holidays
Personal choice... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy